Chapala.com Webboard

Seguro Popular

Sonia

At a Guanajuato state level meeting on Monday, a decision will be made if Temporary and Permanent Residents are to be entitled to apply for Seguro Popular. In the state of Queretaro only citizens may apply.  In parts of Nayarit some SP offices have all ready placed some restrictions. 

The SP head office in Mexico City has been informing state SP directors to only provide SP to citizens.

If you want SP and allowed to apply, you may be best do so now.

www.soniadiaz.mx

http://diario.mx/Local/2017-07-09_615595f5/afiliara-seguro-popular-a-extranjeros/

Google Translation:

"Affiliate Popular Insurance of foreigners

Juan de Dios Olivas / diario de Mexico

2017-07-09

The Federal/State Government will affiliate Seguro Popular with foreigners residing in the country that request the service, Ricardo Petlacalco Ruiz, deputy director of Affiliation and Operation of Seguro Popular in Chihuahua, announced.

"Many foreigners and migrants do not know that the Mexican State [ Mexican Federal Government ] gives them the right to join Seguro Popular. That they can receive free medical attention, in any of the public health units of the country, "said the official.
He indicated that the National System of Social Protection in Health, known as Popular Insurance, is a mechanism that guarantees access to health for all residents of the national territory.
Therefore, both Mexican citizens and foreigners residing in this country, have the right to join and ensure coverage of the costs of their medical care for various conditions.
Ruiz said that it is looking to install more affiliation modules and increase the number of brigades to reach those who need it.
"Any foreign person who proves their residence in the country can go to any of the 46 affiliation modules that the state has to join," he said.
In the modules you must present identification with photograph, either passport or residence card issued by the National Institute of Migration (INM); proof of address; and temporary or permanent resident card.
If you do not have the documentation in order at the time of your membership, you can be issued a temporary policy with a validity of 90 days, during which you must present the missing paperwork, he added.
During this period, both the policy holder and his family will be able to receive medical attention in all the health units of the Mexican Republic."

Here we go with the state of Queretaro and Guanajuato breaking federal law again. Dipshits!

Funny as it goes well beyond these two states. You need to do more research as to what is happening and where. Hint Baja, Q Roo, parts of Nayarit, and and. You may also want to contact the main office in Mexico City as well. My contacts at SP including my discussions last night at 5 pm stated SP in Mexico City is advising to only provide SP to citizens. FYI we have a new President. 

I know the law about as well as anyone. Eight years ago all expats in SMA were denied SP. I challenged that and since then in SMA all TR and PR were then allowed to join. I have signed up thousands of clients in SMA and now in PV and Riviera Nayarit. This includes a total fo 20 between yesterday and today. 

1 hour ago, Sonia said:

Funny as it goes well beyond these two states. You need to do more research as to what is happening and where. You may also want to contact the main office in Mexico City as well. My contacts at SP including my discussions last night at 5 pm stated SP in Mexico City is advising to only provide SP to citizens. FYI we have a new President. 

I just talked to my wife. To actually legally exclude legal immigrants from joining the Seguro Popular or IMSS the Mexican Federal Government will have to repeal and replace several now valid laws in 3 federal secretarias. The SEGOB INM 2011 immigration law giving legal residents the right to be affiliated with socialized medicine in Mexico among other rights. The Secretaria de Salud law giving all citizens and legal immigrants with valid residence the right to socialized medicine in Mexico and their anti-discrimination law.  The Seguro Popular law and rules written in accordance with the other 2 laws in the SEGOB INM  immigration law and the Secretaria de Salud law. If they have repealed and replaced all of these then the Seguro Poular can legally exclude legal residents from joining. If not they are breaking several Mexican Government federal laws by discriminating unjustly towards legal residents of Mexico.

6 minutes ago, gringal said:

What happens to those of us Permanente expats who are already insured with SP?

Wouldn't it require a change to the Mexican Constitution to deny coverage to expats?

Not the Mexican Constitution, I think, but  other federal laws. See above post.

Hello Everyone,

From what I can gather reading this thread and elsewhere, it seems that as far as anyone can tell at this point, if you are signed up for Seguro Popular already, whether as a TR or PR you will likely have healthcare services accessible under their auspices until the new system is in place and the rules re-written and published.

Does this sound about right?

And also, if you have signed up for SP and not yet used it does that affect the availability to you?

Thanx in advance

We believe once signed up you will have coverage for the duration of your policy.

Not using it to this point should make no difference.

Update for QRO... today a friend went for SP in Queretaro. She needed her CURP, Queretaro state driver's license and recent utility bill. They did not want her passport nor her visa. If no QRO driver's license they wanted proof she was a citizen.

In Mexico, the greatest consistency is inconsistency,. :-)

Archived