Chapala.com Webboard

Klimate Kids

CHILLIN

So proud of them. They are really digging in on this one - all over the world. Greta (15 years old) from Norway has been nominated for a nobel prize (she famously told the United Nations conference "We kids don't want your hope - we want your panic!". I liked this one too, about a new restaurant reviewer from San Francisco, was a little critical over a famous restaurant, which previous reviewers (all white men) had raved about. But the owner said that the review made her rethink the ways things were done, and that protecting and nurturing those who are sustaining the earth should be everyone's primary job right now.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good for you, CHILLIN to remind us that Millennials and Generation Z are trying to make the world a better place for themselves and for the future. They're creating a positive difference in the world for the future as opposed to leaving it in worse shape than before. 

Argumentum ad passiones isn't going to fix a thing.  It is a distraction and degrader of credibility.

Appeal to Emotion

(also known as: argument by vehemence, playing on emotions, emotional appeal, for the children)

Description: This is the general category of many fallacies that use emotion in place of reason in order to attempt to win the argument.  It is a type of manipulation used in place of valid logic.

There are several specifically emotional fallacies that I list separately in this book, because of their widespread use.  However, keep in mind that you can take any emotion, precede it with, “appeal to”, and you have created a new fallacy, but by definition, the emotion must be used in place of a valid reason for supporting the conclusion.

It is impossible on a factual basis to conclude the world will end due to climate change by (fill in the date, there have been quite a few already that have passed).  While people are stirring children into hysteria about what might happen, all around us is ecological damage which we could actually do something about.  This deluge of plastic that is making a mess of the land and water for one thing.  This country is a good 50 years behind the U.S. Canada and Europe when it comes to air, water and land pollution.  What are we doing to help it catch up?

How many on this web board who post endlessly on this topic actually do anything to improve the environment on even their own street by picking up trash?  How many make a conscious effort not to take or use plastic bags and to buy things with less or no packaging?  How many equip their homes with solar power instead of buying fossil fuel generated electricity from CFE?  How about solar hot water instead of burning gas in water heaters?  How many really try to group car trips to minimize auto pollution? 

The little stuff adds up quickly.

None of these children understand that the core problem here is too many people dependent on too much fossil energy (for which there is no practical substitute at this time) and that civilization is tethering on a knife edge of dependency on that fossil fuel to feed all those mouths.  They all come from homes with electric power mainly from fossil fuel and they get to these demonstrations using polluting and carbon generating transport.  All the climate preachers fly around lecturing us and I've noticed they like their big cars too.

Simplistic, emotion driven thinking isn't going to change the basic fact that while we can support this many people with most at a bare subsistence level the environment can't begin to support so many people at a standard of living even half of ours.  The first thing that has to happen is a serious effort to decrease world population and associated general environmental and ecological damage.

Generation Z is the most emotion driven socially detached bunch yet.  Where you find them is with their faces in the screens of their various electronic devices.  They are also the most indebted least independent generation in history.  It will take them years to dig out of that, don't hang around waiting for them to do anything about this mess.  

Jeez MC - have you signed up for some sort of amateur psycology course? Maybe an upgrade to Moderator 2.0 course?

The teens and kids of the sixties were/are responsible for massive changes, in so many ways. The key is passion and love.

You have know idea what changes I have made to influence the construction industry, the movie industry. I live in a quiet, peaceful area that simply does not have trash lying about and I have never seen graffiti here. If that is how you want to live your life, go for it, but don't expect others to leap to what you consider the "right thing". If it really riles you that much, sending you into pitiful despair - move. There are lots of alternatives even here at Lakeside.

"And a little child shall lead them..." Young people are smart enough to realize that too many adults are being mislead or bought by the extractive industries. And that it is their future that is being put in jeopardy.  These kids give me hope. Now if they can just push the greedy politicians out of the way...

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

None of these children understand that the core problem here is too many people dependent on too much fossil energy

What makes you so sure they don't understand? That's a statement designed to belittle and dismiss their concerns and you have zero idea what they're willing to do to change things, including living a simpler life not dependent on things which are destroying the planet and its ability to sustain life. 

These kids will be around long after you and I are pushing up daisies. Whatever they are willing to do to ensure they have a future, including raking older generations over the coals for allowing things to get to this stage should be applauded, not ridiculed and belittled.

No one says the young people are perfect. No one is. However, it's sad to insult the young as an old person whatever your reasons are.

Life goes on and better when the young and the old learn from each other in various ways.

If you dislike the young to such a degree, you got to stop growing old. 

MC: Do you happen to know children or grandchildren like you have described? 

I personally know lots wonderful human beings below 23 years old (Generation Z) and Millennials (24 - 38 years old). I have grown children in both of those age groups - they are caring, happy, independent, responsible socially and financially.

Those young people are left with trying to fix the problem because we are getting old or dead before it affects us.

So again kudos to those kids.

3 hours ago, mudgirl said:

What makes you so sure they don't understand? That's a statement designed to belittle and dismiss their concerns and you have zero idea what they're willing to do to change things, including living a simpler life not dependent on things which are destroying the planet and its ability to sustain life. 

These kids will be around long after you and I are pushing up daisies. Whatever they are willing to do to ensure they have a future, including raking older generations over the coals for allowing things to get to this stage should be applauded, not ridiculed and belittled.

If they understood it the message would be much different.

This is like arguing religion.  If you all think emotional demonstrations by children are going to save the world, go for it.  

My ridicule is for the adults who organize this stuff.  The young people are just being used.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

This is like arguing religion.  If you all think emotional demonstrations by children are going to save the world, go for it.  

My ridicule is for the adults who organize this stuff.  The young people are just being used.

Exactly ! They are being used to create emotional responses and they got many here. It doesn't surprise me that is the case though. :(

Young people are not being used. I have not seen Greenpeace or World Wildlife Fund sending kids out with their begging bowls. The adults are teaching young people about social activisim and making real change - without getting arrested or shot at.

15 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

It's a well-known tactic used by those who don't agree with someone's ideas or actions to characterize them as "emotional", "hysterical", "misguided" and so on. 

And you are still of the belief that young people have no mind of their own, and are just pawns under the influence of adults. That's not even close to the truth, in my experience. 

And yeah, if I was 15 years old and perceived that my adult life would be spent in an environment unable to comfortably support life as we know it, I'd be pretty emotional about that myself.

I would say waving a sign about being underwater in 2050 is more based on emotion than education and rational deliberation.

Speaking of well known tactics, it is a well known one of a certain political persuasion these days to put kids in front of a camera waving slogans they can't begin to understand in order to appeal to the emotions.

Young people are under the influence of adults.  That was the case when I was young and even more so now in this heated and politicized environment the true believers have created.  When we were young it never occurred to us to go out in the streets and tell the grown ups how to run things.

BTW I missed the links to all the demonstrations by children in China and the other big emerging polluters.  Could you post them please?

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I would say waving a sign about being underwater in 2050 is more based on emotion than education and rational deliberation.

MC, please watch Dr Aitken's presentation. He is an Internationally recognized expert - honest.

When we were young it never occurred to us to go out in the streets and tell the grown ups how to run things. 

HMMM I picketed Barry Goldwater and was spit at and had rocks thrown at me when demonstrating for Civil Rights. Vietnam came later. Guess I've always been a trouble maker.

Sorry it never occurred to you MC to question adults.  Looking back we probably should have questioned them more.  So proud of this new generation, they have learned to think for themselves and question what they are told.  They give me hope.  I too protested the Vietnam war and am proud that I did

1 hour ago, MtnMama said:

HMMM I picketed Barry Goldwater and was spit at and had rocks thrown at me when demonstrating for Civil Rights. Vietnam came later. Guess I've always been a trouble maker.

Yeah you got Lyndon Johnson and that wall full of names of the dead including two of my friends instead.  And that 3 Trillion "great society" at the end of which there was more poverty, not less.  A bad bargain I think.  Vietnam was the first political activism I engaged after being a grunt in the Kennedy campaign but I wasn't like some who blamed the troops instead of the politicians like some folks.  Pretty low.

I knew who was to blame and they were all in D.C.  Something else that never changes. 

I've given up hoping the foreign military misadventurism of every NOB government regardless of party might somehow go away some day.  They seem to be addicted to it up there.

Thank you Alex for the links.  You do know, however, that Hong Kong isn't representative of China?

I wish them all good luck with this.  I'm sure they won't be underwater in 2050 because of it.  No doubt they all went home and told their parents to disconnect from the electric company.  :D

Archived