Chapala.com Webboard

Osteocart Plus, arthritis med for dogs...comments?

Minnie is getting a little older (about 10) and her back legs are stiff and sometimes, especially in the mornings, she are dragging a little. I talked to the vet and he thought that this might help. I bought a month supply and now are about half way through and it seems to be helping. It is a little expensive (about 800 pesos per month) and was wondering if there is something as good or better at a lower price. Gracias

When I still had old Corgis and old cats - all have crossed the bridge now - I added MSM powder to their food. It seemed to make a big difference. Darn cat was 18 1/2 and could still jump on everything but the kitchen counters. I got it from Ladrone's Vet Clinic.

8 hours ago, MtnMama said:

When I still had old Corgis and old cats - all have crossed the bridge now - I added MSM powder to their food. It seemed to make a big difference. Darn cat was 18 1/2 and could still jump on everything but the kitchen counters. I got it from Ladrone's Vet Clinic.

Did the dogs mind the taste? I find my challenge is getting something down them.

22 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Minnie is getting a little older (about 10) and her back legs are stiff and sometimes, especially in the mornings, she are dragging a little. I talked to the vet and he thought that this might help. I bought a month supply and now are about half way through and it seems to be helping. It is a little expensive (about 800 pesos per month) and was wondering if there is something as good or better at a lower price. Gracias

Out 13 1/2 yr old German Shepherd was getting really gimpy and  "Just FX" (from CostCo) has given her a whole new life.  120 caps per bottle.  (one per day)  Don't know price as someone gets it for us.... but might be worth comparing.

4 hours ago, Natasha said:

Out 13 1/2 yr old German Shepherd was getting really gimpy and  "Just FX" (from CostCo) has given her a whole new life.  120 caps per bottle.  (one per day)  Don't know price as someone gets it for us.... but might be worth comparing.

Just checked Mercado Libre and they have many of these priced from around 600 to 1200 pesos for a bottle of 120. My question is what would be the dose for a dog of about 50 lbs.? I would like to try these myself since I have some arthritis problems also.

I don't know about dosage, but when he got older I gave Sam 1/3 Costco Glucosamine MSM tablet when they still carried them in Mexico. He weighed 30 lbs. I also gave him 1/4 tsp powdered MSM. I sprinkled the powder on his raw meat, and put a bit of peanut butter on the end of a butter knife. I put the pill on the peanut butter and Sam would lick the whole thing off the knife. Corgis tend to be food obsessive so it is pretty easy. I have taught the other dogs just using the peanut butter so they learn to lick it off the knife. I gently rub the knife across their top teeth so they get a mouthful of peanut butter. Then they are more likely to take the pill hidden in the peanut butter later on. A chunk of strong flavored cheese with a little pocket cut in it and the pill shoved inside works well too.

18 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Just checked Mercado Libre and they have many of these priced from around 600 to 1200 pesos for a bottle of 120. My question is what would be the dose for a dog of about 50 lbs.? I would like to try these myself since I have some arthritis problems also.

One cap per day for you and also for your dog.  But I THINK the price for 120 caps is a lot less at CostCo than 600 pesos.  Maybe someone you know could check it out?

10 hours ago, Yo1 said:

I use glucosomine/condroitin/msm combo pills for dogs and myself.

Can't take glucosamine or chondroitin.  So asking you again... if you found Ladron's price for pure MSM outrageous, where did you find a cheaper source?  Gracias

On 3/18/2019 at 9:50 AM, Yo1 said:

In a hardware store in Chapala--on Morelos.  I have inquired from the US for one gallon buckets (undoubtedly Ladron's source) that are incredibly cheap.

Really... you actually ingest something from a hardware store?  Braver than I, my friend!  That said, your comment led me to to MercadoLibre, where one can get very good prices for "for sure" human grade consumption at better prices than Ladron's offers.  So in a sideways way, I thank you. 🤔

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We had our dog on Osteocart Plus, but only 10% is absorbed so we opted to got with an iv push of hyaleuronic acid. 3 treatments in 3 weeks,  once a week. Our dog has a much better life. Ladron's offers it. Pm me if you want to know the price.

Probably depends a lot on the individual dog, and the causes of the condition.  As I said, our aged Shepherd could only do about 40% of her normal routine and now she's rarin' to go.  And I believe  Just  FX is only around $200 pesos at Costco (a member needs to confirm this) for 120 caps.

Good luck Minnie, which ever way your parents decide to go!

• 7 months later...