Chapala.com Webboard

Help! HSBC ATM Error

I went to the HSBC ATM Saturday (across from Wal-Mart) and discovered it was out of money. I canceled my transaction and left with no receipt and no money. Today I see that my US bank has been charged for the withdrawal that didn't happen ($5,000MX)! Anyone have experience on how to deal with this? I'm going in to HSBC tomorrow with a translator. I thought I had seen a thread on this but haven't been able to locate it. Thanks in advance!

The same thing happened to a friend less than a week ago at the CI Banco atm in Centro Laguna.  He contacted the US bank of the card he used in the atm, Fidelity Bank, and his acct was credited within 24 hours.  I agree with the others that this is what you need to do.  The company responsible for the atm machine is probably not the HSBC Bank.

Same here, just one addition, if your bank will not reimburse you, at first

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:24 PM, Lily H said:

Would any of the long time lakeside residents or newcomers help with some genral insurance questions? I'd appreciate it very much!

1) Do you guess at least half of lakeside expats get homeowners insurance?

2) Do you buy  “All Risks” comprehensive coverage or “Named Perils” sort of partial coverage?

3) Do you have “All Risks” without coinsurance or “Named Perils” with coinsurance?

4) What's the annual premium like?

5) Would you share your positive claim experience?

I'm more interested in claims with Jesús Tejeda Mejorada or Bellon.

appeal it

• Confused 1

• 4 months later...

The only choice is contact your bank. Hopefully you remember the time and location when it happened. Your bank will reimburse you but it may take a month or so.

• Confused 2

On 3/3/2019 at 3:53 PM, ManxMan said:

I went to the HSBC ATM Saturday (across from Wal-Mart) and discovered it was out of money. I canceled my transaction and left with no receipt and no money. Today I see that my US bank has been charged for the withdrawal that didn't happen ($5,000MX)! Anyone have experience on how to deal with this? I'm going in to HSBC tomorrow with a translator. I thought I had seen a thread on this but haven't been able to locate it. Thanks in advance!

Ask HSBC for a copy of the video or to view it with the manager for your correct time frame. This will probably get a laugh and an admission that they really don't have a working camera. If he views it have him call your bank as well. Years ago Bancomer short changed us with a couple of $100 taking the place of $500s in the stack. We got the correct 10 bills but two of them were too small. This is how the ATM loader guys make extra change. Happened on a Saturday we were there on Monday morning on opening. They told us they would look into it but to contact our bank. By Friday they asked us to come back in and counted out the missing 800 pesos. This was in west Guadalajara.

Confirming the initial response, the resolution starts with your US bank. ATM transactions are designed to post on authorization meaning the request for funds goes from the ATM to your bank. If approved your bank debits your account and gives the ATM the green light to dispense cash. If the ATM is unable to perform that task it is supposed to send a reversal to your bank to put the money back. If the ATM never got the green light or the reversal didn't make it you are charged while getting no cash.

The ATM is out of balance at this point and with the receipt number from the transaction your bank can reconcile with HSBC that this transaction caused the outage. Normally the US bank will credit the amount provisionally while the two parties reconcile but not always. 

After thirty years writing banking software for ATM processing I'm still amazed it works so well knowing the behind the scenes complexity. This problem isn't that complex and can usually be resolved easily.