Chapala.com Webboard

Medical Insurance

Herman

If you can afford to purchase private insurance at your age now and hold on to it you will be well served.  The government insurance, in my opinion, is a last resort.  We prefer to pick the doctor and the hospital we are going to use.  We have an excellent agent that has a variety of companies and plans to choose from.  Alicia Rivera with Isaac Seguros y Fianzas, 376-766-5974 located in San Antonio Tlay.  They also have excellent coverage for homeowners, renters and automobiles.  The policy we chose 13 years ago is with Allianz and it has been an excellent choice.  Welcome to Lakeside.

I have Met Life of Mexico with Bellon Insurance.  I have used it many times with no problems, but the premiums keep going up.  Depends on what plan you pick and how much deductible per illness or diagnosis you choose.  the higher the deductible, the lower the cost.  You only pay one deductible per illness.  If you develop a condition, you will pay a deductible for that condition and you will be covered for life.  If you develop a different condition, you will have a deductible for that and be covered for life.

We both had preexisting conditions.  Back then the restrictions for these were removed after a 3 year period.  The one thing I would do is visit a place like Quality Care Clinic and ask the doctors which insurance companies do not pay well.  We just had this discussion with our Cardiologist and Allianz is one that pays decently.  

I thought Met Life was really expensive!  2 years ago when I was age  55 I got a quote of something like $450 USD a month, and that with no pre-existing conditions, a deductible, and some rather IMHO ridiculous restrictions.  For comparison,  at that time I was paying $640 USD a month for a private BCBS policy in Florida with $2500 deductible and $25 office copay, plus  $5 and $10 meds.  I was really taken by surprise, as one of the reasons we moved to Mexico was lower private insurance costs....by comparison, myself and my husband (age 70) could get a really excellent private policy in Portugal for about $420 USD a month for the both of us!!!!

I am still holding on to Florida BCBS and I have Seguro Popular here for emergencies, but I am looking for something in Mexico that is both decent and reasonably priced.

BTW I was told that most, not all, insurance companies here, as well as Boomers in Paradise, will never cover skin cancer, even the mildest form (basal cell), which is bizarre, because 90% of the over 65's have had some form of skin cancer.  Some companies don't even issue a policy. Also, Boomers won't cover appendectomies because they are not considered emergencies....hmmmm.

If you have heart problems you should be aware that Seguro Popular only covers surgery and stents if you are under 60 years old. They have no cath labs, so they negotiate special pricing from private labs - but you still have to pay. Seguro Popular seems to invest money in more patient beds than high tech equipment - then they run out of space. The General Hospital, Occidental I go to in Guadalajara for example has enough money for a cath lab - but there is no room left to put it, despite building an new wing with 345 beds.

I am not sure if the Bellon family would appreciate about what I have to say about private insurance. I would say they are very hard working, honest and offer impeccable customer service. Andre told me that there were three major Mexican insurance companies in Mexico. His own Mother started on the best one, but by the time she was 70, it was a strain on the family to afford the premiums. I think he mentioned 10,000 pesos per month. They reduced her to number 3 insurance company, which does not have a great reputation. He also told me that the Mexican based insurance companies are regulated by law to up their premiums by the amount of "medical inflation". So when our premiums rose by 17%, when the reported medical inflation was 3-4% I asked him "what gives?". He told me that the insurance companies bribe the senators who set the insurance rate increases. So - its a mess. Private insurance companies, whether Mexican or U.S., are up there with customs brokers - bandidos all. Sorry about that, it sort of comes with the package.

The public hospitals are good, but you have to decompress to use them. They take/waste a lot of your time, and are very bureaucratic. If you are retired, just say to yourself "time is no longer money, it is just time". Learn some Spanish and you may find some of the most wonderful people you have ever met in your life. Mexican people often appear stoical, because they really do have a different sense of time, but they also have a tremendous sense of humor.

We use Jesus Tejeda as our agent. His office is in Guadalajara but he has many clients at lakeside and is here quite often. Extremely knowledgeable and responsive.

01-333-35631300

045-333-667-0499 (His cell # and probably the best way to reach him)

New email address

jesus@tejedainsurance.com

I have had some serious health issues including skin cancer and our plan has responded very well. Premiums do go up every year but wouldn't be without it. Give Jesus a call and see what he has to offer.

8 hours ago, Wookie said:

Serena, have you used Boomers or have first hand knowledge?  We have been advised by friends that using it is not that easy or great 

Thank goodness I don't have first hand knowledge, but I have good friends who do and they are extremely well satisfied. I will certainly continue to pay the (rising) premium every year because it helps me sleep at night and I haven't heard anything like what your friends are saying - I would certainly be most interested to hear of their experience 

I have Best Doctors group plan through Focus, not Boomers, for about 4 or 5 years. Two hospital visits one being 10,000 USD and two years later one for almost 200,000 USD. Both paid promptly and with no problems, plus my deductibles were returned to me in full within two weeks of my filing the claims. Could not be more pleased, especially with Valerie and Vicki at the Blue Angels office for their over the top help.

13 minutes ago, tjt said:

Are "Best Doctors" to be trusted when they charge doctors for plaques showing that they are a "member"?

Don't schools like medical schools charge for their diplomas?

Archived