Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX updates?

Mostlylost

Just now, RickS said:

Generally speaking 50-80mbps is about all one can reasonably expect out of an 802.11n with any consistency. Generally speaking. 

If that is true then it's the Ilox GPON modem imposing the speed limitation. All of the devices connected to the modem/router support 802.11ac which should handle gigabit speeds. 

If the modem can only support that level and a client only has wireless devices then purchasing a higher speed plan would be money wasted. 

All of this is just speculation until we get an answer from Ilox support.

1 hour ago, John Shrall said:

If the modem can only support that level and a client only has wireless devices then purchasing a higher speed plan would be money wasted. 

That would seem to be an accurate assumption....  The devil may be in the details but as you say only when there is input from ILOX support will it really be known. 

I sent an email to Gloria who helped me solve the port forwarding problem. Below is the screenshot I sent asking if this setting would limit wifi speeds to 100mb. The other 2 options in the Network Mode box are 802.11b and 802.11g which are more limiting than n. Hopefully she'll answer tomorrow.

2019-05-05_104440.jpg.9f5b9a7ed67b2f532a97f98c19c3c553.jpg

Tom, Thank you for your informative defense of ILOX. I have been in the computer business since 1984 and in the Aerospace telemetry business for 20 years prior to that. I have a reasonable knowledge of transmission of data. If you did the math, you are right I am getting up in years.

I used the fast.com site as suggested by ILOX and was getting a 40 to 60 Mbs speed on a hard wired connection to my desktop but a miserable WIFI speed at 1 meter from their modem and about 5 to 12 mbs at 20 meters. After trying 8 or 10 different speed test sites, I found that stanford.speedtest.googlefiber.net gave me the most consistent readings.

I tested (hardwired) at Fast.com today and got readings of 100, 110. and 94 Mbs on 3 consecutive tests. Surprisingly different from last month. stanford.speedtest.googlefiber.net gave me 94,94 and 97 Mbs. ( same as last month) Toast.com gave me 42, 51 and 50 Mbs today.

Wireless at fast.com is 39, 33, and 53 Mbs.               stanford.speedtest.googlefiber.net is  21, 17 and 16 Mbs                  Toast.com is 6, 9, and 19 Mbs.                                                                  The same wireless test device was used in GDL last week to Test a 100 Mbps connection and gave 100, 104 and 110 on 3 consecutive tests, so the wireless test device is capable. 

Bottom line is i spent a few hundred dollars more than I should have in order to get an acceptable wireless connection on my property.  The ILOX wireless modem I have sucks and should have been recognized by ILOX and there should have been at least an attempt by ILOX to come and test their service on site. Their service in my case was typical of Telcel, Telmex, ATT and Telecable.  Hopefully this will change.

I have recommended to several of my friends that they get ILOX, but with the stipulation that they buy a seperate wireless system and turn off the built in wireless radio. I also have forewarned that they should not expect an improved customer service over their current supplier. 

I do not intend to continue this discussion. I have only provided accurate information.

As a final comment Mr. Godinez was referring to all internet speeds would not be guaranteed at residential sites.

• Thanks 2

Let  me, as a non-techie - get this straight.  In order for us to get everything possible from the new ILox service, we need to buy a lot more gear - so you are telling us that the service doesn't really work the way Ilox installs it.  I think I'm a bit miffed!  Further and very clear explanations would be appreciated Tom and Dave!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

Let  me, as a non-techie - get this straight.  In order for us to get everything possible from the new ILox service, we need to buy a lot more gear - so you are telling us that the service doesn't really work the way Ilox installs it.  I think I'm a bit miffed!  Further and very clear explanations would be appreciated Tom and Dave!

No, you don't have to buy "a lot more gear".  What people are saying is that the wifi signal strength of the Ilox modem is not very good.  If you are connecting through the ethernet port you will get the speeds advertised.  What I did to solve the wireless problem was to purchase a TP-Link Archer 9 router (about $85USD on Amazon).  Before I installed the router I was getting 45 - 50 mbps at my laptop which sits about 20 feet from the  Ilox modem.  After I installed the new router as a wireless access point and turned off the wireless in the Ilox modem, I am getting 90 - 95 mbps.   

I would recommend Ilox very highly.  You can't beat $599p per month for 100mbps.  This is cheaper than most US providers.

I am not specially knowledgeable regarding data transfer speeds, so, take the following with as much salt as needed...

Speed tests are comparable to snapshots, whereas using the internet might be comparable to a movie.  And I want to see the movie, not have to take time from what I am doing in order to see what my "possible" internet speed is for just a given instant in time.

Nearly everyone wants to know what speed they are getting from their internet source but using a speed test to answer that question, isn't so different from taking a single frame (snapshot) of a movie and thinking you might know what the movie is about.

A speed test tells you a number at one point in time, and just like bandwidth in general, can be affected by numerous factors, all for the worst.  It's certainly a nice tool, but it doesn't really answer the question with great accuracy, as is demonstrated by using various speed test sites - each one commonly gives a different answer, and, using the same test again and again and again over a few moments, will often give as many different answers as the number of tests you run.

Knowing this, I still run a speed test from time to time, but, what I want to know is, "what speed am I getting when I am using the internet for all the regular things I do", be it reading the news, downloading or perhaps streaming.  And I believe it's a fact - a speed test don't answer this question.

Instead, I use the well known and well regarded software product called DU Meter.  It is not a "Speed test" (snap shot) it is a Bandwidth Monitor (real time movie).  Having mentioned this product and using it's data to inform various internet service provider's technical people, in multiple countries over a few decades, nearly all argue that it's just a speed test, but they'd never used it themselves.  It's not.

A small window shows me "live" action, every minute I am on the internet, what bandwidth speed I am experiencing (both up and down), and that number is changing all the time.  If I notice a stall while streaming, for example, with my 10Mb Telcel or the 10Mb AT&T cell system based modems (I have both), a glance will tell me what the bandwidth is in the moment, live, without having to pull up a speed test site.

I have no connection with or financial interest in DU Meter (sadly) but, I do recommend it for the inquisitive.  You can try it for free for 30 days.  https://www.hageltech.com/dumeter/about

• Like 1

Tom, it seems to me that the real question is 'how well does the provided ILOX equipment perform'.... especially for the everyday Joe/Sue customer.... without purchasing more 3rd party gear and maybe not being someone like yourself who is technical and has seemingly spent hundreds of dollars extra to install something like the Ubiquiti Unifi Pro's.

It seems to me that rank and file ILOX customers have a right to expect, assuming that their computers and wifi equipment are relative new, some blazing fiber speeds when connected by ethernet and at least a decent wifi speed in the same or adjacent room with capable equipment like a recent iPad. For some, while the ethernet connection is viable and approaches or exceeds speeds that they purchased, the wifi service is vastly inferior to the 'sad' TelMex modems.

Additionally I have been informed of yet another 'bad' installation.... friend had an installation appointment last week which was not kept nor communicated. A week later they show up yesterday and install. Ethernet connection to a PC. Report is that the service was 'intermittent on/off during the day yesterday and completely absent today'. No service. Shows as "secure but no internet". Of course there is no customer service today, Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone using my free TV from firestick service needs to have a public i.p. from ilox. 

Tom and the ilox staff have been most helpful in this matter, but important that my customers either get the installer to do it or email me and I will pass it onto the box at ilox.

It works great with ilox and best of all no monthly fees for u.s. u.k. and Canadian network channels.

12 minutes ago, All Day said:

.....Before I installed the new router I was getting 45 - 50 mbps at my laptop which sits about 20 feet from the  Ilox modem.  After I installed the new router as a wireless access point and turned off the wireless in the Ilox modem, I am getting 90 - 95 mbps.....

That's good news.... when there seems to be a dearth of such.... about your ILOX modem wifi speeds. If you were getting 45-50mbps at 20 feet before purchasing any additional router equipment, that would seem to me to be pretty decent service. Others have complained about very poor wifi within 10 feet of the modem. Maybe there's an X-Ray machine in the room with them. 😃

It's safe to say that everyone with Ilox, barring technical issues, is getting much better speeds than they ever have around here, both via Ethernet and WiFi. I see that as exemplary. That's what we wanted from Ilox: fibre and higher speeds.

It is a certainty that their ONTs are pretty lousy with WiFi, but two things: I don't see anything about WiFi speeds on their site or in their paperwork, and many of us purchased additional equipment to get better speeds out of Telmex anyway.

I hope that eventually Ilox will offer modems that have better WiFi, but but for ensure your settings and devices are "n" or "ac" (dual band) if you have it. And rest well in the knowledge that tow new WiFi standards are already on the way to make your gear obsolete anyway ("ax", anyone?).

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I hope that eventually Ilox will offer modems that have better WiFi

Which you will have to pay for, just like now paying for additional equipment to customize your setup.  HAHAHAHA

• Haha 1

Tell the company at their email support address. Tell them the WiFi isn't good enough. They are in a huge startup situation, and I have no idea what kind of training they provide or how they make their product purchases. If y'all had any idea how many WiFi repeaters and extenders, and mesh systems I have installed around here to strengthen the TelMex modems WiFi range, it wouldn't even be a topic for conversation.

17 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

Anyone using my free TV from firestick service needs to have a public i.p. from ilox. 

Tom and the ilox staff have been most helpful in this matter, but important that my customers either get the installer to do it or email me and I will pass it onto the box at ilox.

It works great with ilox and best of all no monthly fees for u.s. u.k. and Canadian network channels.

Could you explain this in a little more detail.  I've noticed that with my IPTV services I have to be running a VPN or I can't connect to the IPTV servers.  Are these two things related?

1 hour ago, All Day said:

Could you explain this in a little more detail.  I've noticed that with my IPTV services I have to be running a VPN or I can't connect to the IPTV servers.  Are these two things related?

You need to speak with your provider.

My service does not need vpn and works fine with 4 mbps telmex or above.

There are no monthly fees and 1800 pesos gets you the full package ,includes brand new Amazon firestick.

PM me for details.

• Like 1

802.11n should be able to handle up to 240Mbps (30MBps). These are tested throughput speeds, not theoretical speeds (which are rated at 450Mbps). 802.11ac has been tested to get up to 720Mbps (90MBps). Pretty much, all basic WiFi receivers are the same, and therefore go the same distance and provide the same speed. iLox's modems seem to be the exception to the rule. But it is a way to keep initial costs down, and I haven't met anyone yet who be upset at going from 5Mbps via their TelMex WiFi to 50Mbps, via iLox.

Why iLox's WiFi speed is so poor is a question that I hope will be answered, but technically, on the surface, there is no reason for it.

There are plenty of WiFi add-on routers that purport to seriously increase the speed; these have any number of antennas on them and can get pretty pricey. I myself have a $350p (dirt cheap) WiFi router that is much stronger than the iLox router's WiFi, and when hooked up directly beside the iLox, provides much better WiFi.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info CG.

I know that you troubleshoot some ILOX installations after they are installed but don't work 'properly'.... as recently as this morning for a friend. 

With respect to the ILOX wifi performance... a month or so ago someone put a picture of the modem on this Board. I noticed that the 5.6Ghz lite was 'on'. I believe it is a dual ban device so also has 2.4Ghz. Those two frequencies have very different performance characteristics.  I'm wondering what you are finding with respect to 'wifi signal strength' in those places you have helped. Some folks are reporting 'bad' performance within 10' and others ("All Day" on this Board) suggest they got 45-50mBps at 20' with an 802.11ac device.  What are you seeing with respect to which ban is being used and how good or bad is the wifi signal 'in another room'.

Gracias

I thought she said her name was Gloria but her email reads Magally Lopez. I probably misunderstood when she called.

She is in tech support calling from area code 323 somewhere in Nayarit in response to an email directed to noc. 

After installing TeamViewer and connecting she was whipping around the computer checking modem settings as well as internal network options. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Thanks for the info CG.

I know that you troubleshoot some ILOX installations after they are installed but don't work 'properly'.... as recently as this morning for a friend. 

With respect to the ILOX wifi performance... a month or so ago someone put a picture of the modem on this Board. I noticed that the 5.6Ghz lite was 'on'. I believe it is a dual ban device so also has 2.4Ghz. Those two frequencies have very different performance characteristics.  I'm wondering what you are finding with respect to 'wifi signal strength' in those places you have helped. Some folks are reporting 'bad' performance within 10' and others ("All Day" on this Board) suggest they got 45-50mBps at 20' with an 802.11ac device.  What are you seeing with respect to which ban is being used and how good or bad is the wifi signal 'in another room'.

Gracias

Unfortunately, the Internet was out at that place this morning, and after 30 minutes on the phone with a very helpful tech support guy, the problem could not be resolved. So my testing was limited. Using my phone and a brand new WiFi router (different brand, and not a modem) set up as a bridge of sorts, I was getting about 10dB better from the router than from the iLox modem. At another house, the same iLox modem was sending out a much stronger WiFi signal than in the first house. Not understanding this at all. This held true in another room in the first house, but equalled out in the second house, if I recall correctly.

The two iLox "Fiberhome" modems are single band. In any case, while the 5 GHz band is definitely a "fatter pipe", it doesn't send the signal nearly as far, so it's not the best of tests anyway. My phone is ac, but a lot of people's PCs are not, so they wouldn't get the second band even if it were available.