Chapala.com Webboard

ILOX updates?

Mostlylost

Mainecoons:   "The proof the private sector can do this job far better is right there across the U.S. border where energy costs half of what it does here.  Amazing that anyone could miss this. "

Meanwhile, in California, the private monopoly PG&E (Pacific Gas and Electric) is going bankrupt.  Lawsuits.  Stuff happens.

• Thanks 1

Is the photo below the "loop" of cable described in a few posts? This cable appeared while I was away for the last couple of weeks.

Does anyone know if ILOX uses a special fiber cable or coax to connect from the street to the house? The box to the right of the loop is my existing Telecable coax that runs about 25 meters to my house.

And if I need 3 Ethernet ports (MajicJack, Camera and desktop PC), do I need to get a switch for additional ports?

IMG_2669.thumb.JPG.f857c10144673794d73aa018d9fc3fd1.JPG

After reading a little bit, it looks like a 5 port gigabit switch will work to add Ethernet ports. Plug one cable between the switch and router and you get 4 more Ethernet ports for a total of 5. (one on the modem and 4 on the switch).

3 hours ago, gringal said:

Mainecoons:   "The proof the private sector can do this job far better is right there across the U.S. border where energy costs half of what it does here.  Amazing that anyone could miss this. "

Meanwhile, in California, the private monopoly PG&E (Pacific Gas and Electric) is going bankrupt.  Lawsuits.  Stuff happens.

Somewhat of a unique situation, no?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/01/29/pge-nations-biggest-utility-company-files-bankruptcy-after-california-wildfires/?utm_term=.fc05eee458cb

50 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

If we continue to have an escalating series of disasters, "unique" won't be the case.  Either government or private industry would be beaten to the economic ground.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

How would you hook up a standard telephone to this to use the phone number?

Does anyone feel brave enough to consider trading Telmex for a VOIP service? Then would you consider porting your existing number and cutting the cord with Telmex completely? 

Many people in the US did just that with Vonage and other VOIP services many years ago. A lot of my kids now in their 40's have given up land lines completely relying solely on cellular.

I'd feel a little bit of schadenfreude should Telmex lose some gravy recurring income.

I've had the service for a week, and so far Telmex has better Download speed, at least according to Speedtest.net.  So what I'm experiencing with iLox, and yes I have talked with the Office staff at El Torito, is maybe 5mb Down and 12-15 Up.  But, and here's the weird part, when I toggle on my NordVpn to Mexico @ Queretaro, the ilox blasts to 65mb Down and 14+Up, go figure.

Anyway, yes the modem is basic and wiring is a thin optical fiber filament, but I'm porting/cascading CAT6 out to my Asus router for the entire house + extenders. Still got the Telmex as a backup, since it's good for 8-10mb Down in Centro.  At this point I'm not going to attempt a Dual WAN set up unless iLox doesn't get the server fixed, I need that 60+mb Down for 1080p streaming and I don't want to even fantasize about 4K yet. LOL

34 minutes ago, gfresh said:

I've had the service for a week, and so far Telmex has better Download speed, at least according to Speedtest.net.  So what I'm experiencing with iLox, and yes I have talked with the Office staff at El Torito, is maybe 5mb Down and 12-15 Up.  But, and here's the weird part, when I toggle on my NordVpn to Mexico @ Queretaro, the ilox blasts to 65mb Down and 14+Up, go figure.

Anyway, yes the modem is basic and wiring is a thin optical fiber filament, but I'm porting/cascading CAT6 out to my Asus router for the entire house + extenders. Still got the Telmex as a backup, since it's good for 8-10mb Down in Centro.  At this point I'm not going to attempt a Dual WAN set up unless iLox doesn't get the server fixed, I need that 60+mb Down for 1080p streaming and I don't want to even fantasize about 4K yet. LOL

What is your Speed test of iLox when the Nord VPN is turned off?

As stated I'm getting 4-5mb down 12-15 up, so I'm pluggng in the Telmex router mostly until iLox gets it together to consistently deliver the advertised speed.  I was a early adopter and I'm in Ajijic Centro, so after half a dozen installation calls/confirmation and no shows, the cable and modem showed up.

12 minutes ago, gfresh said:

As stated I'm getting 4-5mb down 12-15 up, so I'm pluggng in the Telmex router mostly until iLox gets it together to consistently deliver the advertised speed.  I was a early adopter and I'm in Ajijic Centro, so after half a dozen installation calls/confirmation and no shows, the cable and modem showed up.

Is that with a VPN on?  I went from 90 mps to 20 mps when I turned a VPN connecting to the US.

Some VPNs slow the download speed more than others. Router processor speed has a significant effect on download speed. I just upgraded my router to an Asus RT-AC86U with 1.8 GHz dual core processor and my download speed is the same with VPN on or off with Telcel at 10 mbps.

Does anyone have a phone number for "customer service"?  The person in the Ajijic office cannot answer my question.  I prepaid almost a year ago for one year service and am moving out of the area.  It hasn't been installed.  I require a refund of the initial 7200 pesos.  Any help?

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The one customer I've serviced who now has Ilox is also getting 5Mbps down right at the modem via WiFi, and knows of no way to get tech support to fix it. Unacceptable.

CG, was there any difference if using direct ethernet connection rather than wifi?