Chapala.com Webboard

WHY SOME FOREIGNERS PREFER LIVING AT THE WEST END OF THE LAKE

10 hours ago, michael2595 said:

Owned by Walmart

On 2/21/2019 at 7:28 PM, lakeside7 said:

Did i miss the availability of fast internet or basic phone service...Auerea is a grubby store that sells terrible  doughnuts... Home Depot and Costco is an hour drive away

There are similar internet services at the Westend. I meant that many products that you find at Home Depot and Costco can be found among the many small businesses in Jocotepec.

On 2/21/2019 at 5:07 PM, ComputerGuy said:

With the rainy season runoff from the mountain, paving the streets in Ajijic and area would be an invitation to disaster.

I'd be happy if the potholes in the cobblestone streets were fixed properly on a regular basis (not just sand thrown in the hole!).  I can dream, can't I?   sigh 

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:02 PM, La Aurora said:

I think what vetteforron is talking about is that Joco replaced all the cobble stone streets with pavers,real improvement.I lived in Roca Azul for a year when first moving to Mexico in 2008.Growing up in the boonies of Washington State wanted to get back to the rural life to an  area of south Lake Chapala.Moved to Puragua for a little over 5years,decided to move to the coast to be living  close to the beach in Bucerias,Nayarit.Made it 3 years and decided we couldn't handle the heat and humidity anymore,so have moved back to southside of the lake again a little east of Tuxcueca.We have a 5bedroom 3and a half bath house on the lake with 3 hectacres.Now have 4 dogs 4 cats 11 hens and 2 ducks.My wife will go to the northside once a month to get a few things we can't get around here.Living the good life now.New hiway also helps.When they get the new bypass around San Luis finished this side will take off,not really looking forward to that actually,unless we owned where we live

I  don't mean to be disrespectful but what do you do being out there? Are there things to do? Any Expats?  Again, I am just asking because we have talked about it but always seems so rural and speaking enough Spanish to get by would be a problem for us.

On 2/23/2019 at 12:05 PM, AngusMactavish said:

FYI, Oxxo has 17,500 stores in Mexico.

What amazed me about OXXO is that bottled water in some of them is more expensive than coca cola.  Coca Cola sure is pushing that stuff. At least its made here  with cane sugar   instead of poisonous high fructose corn syrup back in the states and other places.

1 hour ago, michael2595 said:

What amazed me about OXXO is that bottled water in some of them is more expensive than coca cola.  Coca Cola sure is pushing that stuff. At least its made here  with cane sugar   instead of poisonous high fructose corn syrup back in the states and other places.

Really?

1 hour ago, michael2595 said:

Where can you buy 5 liters of Coke Coca for 32 pesos.  If so, I am ready to buy.

5 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Coke stopped using cane sugar in Mexico about five years ago, except for export. (There are many sources for this; here is just one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Coke)

So, the coke we buy here has the same HFCS as the US coke.

We leased a home in the Jocotepic area and are very happy to have found it. We did not want to move to a foreign country to live near such a large group of expats....... but.....the amenities that this expat population brought to the lakeside area make our experience an easier transition to be sure:-) I understand that many expats moving here would like what is most familiar to them, but for us the differences are often the most alluring factors.

Personally I am glad that most expats choose the areas that are more concentrated with other expats. Keeps our area more Mexican which is what we were looking for! 

Archived