Chapala.com Webboard

German Shepherd

This has to be the Shepherd who wiggled his way into my lap one day a few months ago as I was getting out of my car. He is male and was about 6 months old then. An absolutely sweet and lovable boy. He ran off when he heard other dogs barking. He has an owner somewhere close by but I don't know where. I live on San Mateo close to the lake in Riberas.

Whatever happens... somebody is getting a loyal and lovable friend.

If the dog wasn't injured, starving, or otherwise in distress, please tell your friend to take it back where she found it. She has probably stolen someone's dog. Why can gringos not get it through their heads that just because a dog isn't with an owner, that doesn't mean they don't have a home they go back to at night?

5 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

If the dog wasn't injured, starving, or otherwise in distress, please tell your friend to take it back where she found it. She has probably stolen someone's dog. Why can gringos not get it through their heads that just because a dog isn't with an owner, that doesn't mean they don't have a home they go back to at night?

Why are you assuming that the dog is in perfect condition? The person who is caring for the dog at the moment has been involved in dog rescue for approximately 18 years and knows what to look for and what to do. My posting was part of the effort to find the dog's owner, it is not an appeal for someone to adopt it.

14 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

Why are you assuming that the dog is in perfect condition? The person who is caring for the dog at the moment has been involved in dog rescue for approximately 18 years and knows what to look for and what to do. My posting was part of the effort to find the dog's owner, it is not an appeal for someone to adopt it.

The dog likely knows where it belongs- it should be given the opportunity to go home, not be kept from doing so while a "dog rescuer" follows their own agenda.

2 hours ago, mudgirl said:

The dog likely knows where it belongs- it should be given the opportunity to go home, not be kept from doing so while a "dog rescuer" follows their own agenda.

16 hours ago, mudgirl said:

To quote you, "If the dog wasn't injured, starving, or otherwise in distress", and you are assuming that was the case. Before you start telling people what needs to be done, get the full story, not what you believe with no information to back you up.In this case the dog was in distress and was taken to a vet two days in a row. Unfortunately, it needed to be put down. So get off your horse and believing you know best without knowing the full story. , Why can't "Gringos" who have not been working in dog rescue for almost 20 years stop deciding they know the rest of the story and pompously telling others what must be done. You do not know what the situation is, so should not be demanding an experienced rescuer to do as you say. 

I am done, as is the person who had to go through the emotional stress and financial cost having this poor boy fostered on her.

luvsdawgs, please tell your friend how much she is appreciated.  I don't know why some of the posters jump first and then don't even say sorry.  I was done the same way several months back when we took in a cat.  When I put the picture on this forum I was admonished for taking a wild cat from its habitat and on and on and on.  Even though I could tell this car was not wild nor did it belong on the streets no one would take my word for it.  One day later the owners saw my post and they and the cat were very grateful and had no idea how in the world the cat got as far as it did or why it apparently took off.  At any rate, it was a good end and I was so very glad I did not follow the ones that know it all  ... all the time and put the cat back outside.  I am so sorry for what your friend went through ... it isn't easy even if you have not had the dog for long. 

We do not know your friend and no information was given about the dog’s condition. Consider adding that info to the OP. The last thing your friend needs is 10 people calling asking the same questions when two sentences in the post would spare them that. And I will ask the questions every time as long as immigrants continue stealing people’s dogs and saying they “rescued” it.

I am with Xena on this one. NO information was given about the dog other than it was a German Shepherd and vaguely where it was found. NOT the age, NOT the condition, NOT the fact that those who took it in were so qualified to make the judgement, Not that it had to be taken to the vet. NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING.

So what was the purpose of the post? To have someone call and get ripped a new one for the state of the dog?

And now I am left wondering if it was the wonderful, wiggly young pup who made me smile on a Sunday a few months a go. To hell with the lot of you do gooders with agendas. I'm crying.

Interesting how everyone goes on the attack when someone tries to help an animal get home. I did not ask anyone to instruct me on what needs to be done nor did I ask for all the negative postings. All I did was ask if anyone knew anything about the dog. All the holier than thou crowd jumped on the chance to bash another human being, BTW Ferret, it was an old dog.

Thank you but I am still upset. If more information had been given about the dog and its state, more of us may have been able to help. Understanding the circumstances of the "rescue" and the rescuers would have eliminated a lot of the attacks.

It is well known that many simply lift dogs from the street because, if they don't have tags or are running free, then they must be homeless. Which is an error in judgement in most cases, Their hearts are in the right place but their logic is not.

And I apologize profusely to the Do Gooders who KNOW what they are doing under certain circumstances. My Ginny came from the ranch and I will be forever grateful.

"It is well known that many simply lift dogs from the street because, if they don't have tags or are running free, then they must be homeless. Which is an error in judgement in most cases, Their hearts are in the right place but their logic is not."

I am well aware of that as is my friend. We have both been involved in rescue for many years, almost 20 in Mexico for my friend. It is the newbies who are the ones who do not understand the Mexican culture and apply NOB standards to the animals down here. This is something I I have railed about constantly since moving here 12 years ago. When I posted I gave all the info I had, hoping to find info quickly and get that boy home. I did not know the state of his health, only that he had been tied to the fence. Sometimes we are lucky and someone knows the dog and it gets home. Sadly, this was not to be. 

I will not be replying to any more posts.

Luvsdawgs post was all that was needed. Follow-up posters could easily have asked questions politely, not crapped down his throat. There is absolutely no need for that attitude. He was trying to help. You negative Nellies should be ashamed.

8 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Luvsdawgs post was all that was needed. Follow-up posters could easily have asked questions politely, not crapped down his throat. There is absolutely no need for that attitude. He was trying to help. You negative Nellies should be ashamed.

Please suggest how I could have been more polite when asking my questions. I too wanted to help.

8 hours ago, Lily H said:

Attacking a whole group of innocent new people for what?  To lift him up? You sir, should be ashamed by playing seniority and naming names. Has this make you holier?

I made a comment only about the people who could have been polite, yet chose to not be. If you think that's attacking "a whole group of innocent new people", then I guess you belong in that group. And yes, I often take shots at numbnutz and trolls. I will continue to do so, politely.

16 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

.In this case the dog was in distress and was taken to a vet two days in a row. Unfortunately, it needed to be put down.

1 hour ago, Guiness said:

Can we get back to the Dog.  What's the status.

Does luvsdawgs post from 16 hours ago answer your question Guiness? She also posted, to me later, that it was an old dog. I'm happy that it was with people who care at the end.

1 hour ago, Ferret said:

Does luvsdawgs post from 16 hours ago answer your question Guiness? She also posted, to me later, that it was an old dog. I'm happy that it was with people who care at the end.

Ahhhh that's too bad.  I feel horrible.  Thank you to whoever you are that helped put this loving creature out of it's pain.  Hate the way some people "attack" on this board.  

I honestly don't think that the comments were "attacks". And, lumping all so-called "rescuers" into a newbie category is unfortunately inaccurate. The OP tended to sound like the information often given by a wannabe "rescuer" - "a beautiful black and tan purebred German Shepherd". She said that's all the information she was given, but perhaps framing it in a different way would have gotten different responses. Saying old and mistreated would have apparently been more accurate.

Gringos stealing dogs they pretend to rescue is a big problem and has been for years. They are not all newbies. I remember a meeting I had with several other members of dog rescue organizations about 6 years ago where we discussed possible solutions. We felt education was the key. So when individuals post about a found dog or cat, folks tend to jump in with both feet. And while the local rescue and spay/neuter organizations have made great strides in reducing mistreated street dogs, and abandoned animals, way too many pets are still being stolen because someone doesn't approve of the care they are being given, even tho the animal is healthy and happy. Change sometimes comes slowly.

You really think it's appropriate to pull apart, dissect, magnify and destroy a simple statement from a person trying to help, because you don't think they phrased it correctly. Well, maybe the OP doesn't care for your phraseology. Geez.

Archived