Chapala.com Webboard

Foam-core mounting, photos

kgreenbury

Guest English Rose
On 2/8/2019 at 9:57 PM, kgreenbury said:

Who knows where I can have a large canvas print photo mounted professionally on foam-core?

You could try the Art House just as you are coming into Chapala, just about opposite the Podologo. If they can't do it, they might recommend someone.

6 hours ago, English Rose said:

You could try the Art House just as you are coming into Chapala, just about opposite the Podologo. If they can't do it, they might recommend someone.

Why not have it put on stretcher bars and framed? Salvador, upstairs in Plaza Buganbilias in Ajiic can do it for a reasonable charge. If you don't want to invest in framing, you can paint the edges, and with the wood bars you would have a way to put wire on it and can hang it.

7 hours ago, kgreenbury said:

The canvas is already on stretcher bars and seems it's continuing to stretch, because it's loose enough to flap on the frame, 4 months after I had it done. Not happy.  

Sometimes, if you wet the back evenly with warm water, it will shrink to fit.  good luck.🖖

10 hours ago, kgreenbury said:

The canvas is already on stretcher bars and seems it's continuing to stretch, because it's loose enough to flap on the frame, 4 months after I had it done. Not happy.  

Has it been kept indoors, or is it outdoors in the sun and the breeze?  If so, that will definitely affect the canvas.  My partner had several prints on canvas stretched over wooden frames a few years ago and they haven't stretched or shrunk.  They are just as tight as they were when they were originally finished!

The canvas was printed and mounted by the Art House and it's been inside, warm, dry and out of strong light, so don't understand what went wrong. Maybe just caught them on a bad day; I did talk to Lupita about it and she said I should bring it back - just thought there might be someplace more convenient. After this experience though, do think I want to go the foam-core route...  

8 hours ago, kgreenbury said:

The canvas was printed and mounted by the Art House and it's been inside, warm, dry and out of strong light, so don't understand what went wrong. Maybe just caught them on a bad day; I did talk to Lupita about it and she said I should bring it back - just thought there might be someplace more convenient. After this experience though, do think I want to go the foam-core route...  

I'd recommend you don't go with standard foam core but take up Lupita's offer to have it re-done at Art House. But, there is an archival foam core available.  When I googled "Is foam core archival", a page of references came up, such as this one:

http://www.artsupply.com/foamcore/acid_free.htm

Archived