Chapala.com Webboard

Driving to Mazatlan

Wookie

We will be driving to Mazatlan in the near future and are wondering if anyone has made this trip lately.  Do you have any advise or pointers that you would like to share?  Did you find the drive safe?  We will be driving in the daylight hours.  Thanks.

Out on the open road, two lane highways with adequate shoulders are often treated as three-lane highways. Oncoming vehicles will pass slower traffic coming at you down the center of the road and expect you to drive onto the shoulder to allow them to pass.  If this is your first time out that will take some getting used to.

That is generally a good ‘heads-up’ about driving in Mexico but in this case there is nothing but cuota (15D toll) all the way, especially if one takes MCs comment about using the Macroliebremiento, half way to the airport, to get to the west side of Guadalajara and 15D. Easy Peasey. 

That road, 15D, just west of the Tequila area and before Jala is one of my favorite roads for scenery in Mexico.... out through the lava fields with pine forests. Quite unique. 

Just made the drive last month and really enjoyed it. Lovely scenery and the roads were fine. Had the best birria tacos of our whole trip to Mexico at a stand in Villa Union which is not far from Mazatlan. It was a very enjoyable drive all in all. I think we drove it in about 8 hours with stops for the dogs to do their business:-) 

• 3 weeks later...

RickS, just to give you a heads up on the quota roads going to Mazatlan ... more than half of the quota road is a two lane highway with paved shoulders.  Therefore, the cars do use the middle of the road to pass and the slower cars had better head for the shoulder or else!!  I became very adept at not only having cars pass me but also I passed a few myself though I was not as aggressive as many of the drivers.  

We had taken fruit for snacks.  When we left Jalisco we were pulled over and asked if we had fruit.  They confiscated our pears, bananas and plums which left me with little to eat.  There are a couple of places to stop for gas and one has a nice Oxxo with some decent looking things and one place has a Subway but there is such little traffic there we were not inclined to try it. 

Keep the car gassed, take a lunch and drinks.  Stop when there is an opportunity for a bathroom because there are only the two decent ones and they are far apart.  Take toilet paper.

The drive took us 7 hours almost on the dot.  

The drive was easy and the scenery interesting and in parts very pretty.  If you are allergic to pine trees be prepared with kleenex for the sneezing fits😊

Archived