Chapala.com Webboard

Cab warning

Gerry

After going on the Tequila Express we took a cab home. Here's what happened: there were four of us so three had to go in the back. The driver "kindly" offered to put our friend'; bag in the trunk. He drove a short distance then said he needed to stop for gas and that his car ran on natural gas. He pulled into a gas station where there were several other cabs (I have no idea where it was). He told us we had to get out for safety reasons while the car was being filled up and directed us to a nearby set of tables and chairs. He drove out of sight and our view of the pumps was blocked by a tent and TV. As our friend was not paying for the cab, none of us realized until the next day that her wallet had been stolen. Within the hour of us being dropped off the card was used. One large transaction went through before the Canadian bank became suspicious and stopped further transactions.A cautionary tale! In more than 20 years this is the first time anything dishonest has happened to me in Mexico but the driver is obviously practiced at this so be warned. Prevention: don't put anything unlocked in the trunk and/or record the cab licence. 

8 hours ago, Gerry said:

The cab was one of a number of them from the Guadalajara's cab company waiting for the train to come in which is why we had no concerns using it.

So have you contacted the cab company? They should have a record of which driver it was at that time in that location.

In order to trace a cab yo have to know the name of the company and the cab number written on its side, without that the companies do nothing. In San Cristobal de las Casas a friend needed to cab as she had bought some packing material. SHe told the second cab to follow the cab she was with , the second cab took off with the packing material, she ha hs phone number so she called him and he offered to sell her the packing and hangup We went to the company to trace  the man and make a complaint, they refused to listen to anything because we did not have the number of the cab.. Be forwarned.

19 hours ago, jonnyintrouble said:

I exited a cab near San Juan de Dios as my billfold missed my rear pocket and fell on his floor through that space betwen the seat and the door.  I went to the dispatcher's office.  As soon as I entered the dispatcher was sitting there with my wallet in his hand.  I guess he recognized me as my driver's license was in his other hand.  Nothing was missing.  

That also happens, but I would be foolish to leave my common sense at home any time.

Archived