Chapala.com Webboard

dog attack in Parque Cristiana in Chapala

bdmowers

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had pretty good luck using a small squirt bottle filled with vinegar water sprayed in the dog's face and eyes. It doesn't do permanent damage but stings and hurts. Pepper spray tends to drift around and get on the person doing the spraying as well as the dog and they don't seem to mind it as much as people.

Sometimes a very loud AAAUUCCKKK stops the dogs before they start. It is the sound the mother dog makes to discipline the puppies.

These comments are for BANDOL who says he is a Newbie and BD MODERS who says he is an Advanced member. I think they are one in the same. I came to Mexico as a snowbird  10 years ago and have been permanent for 7 1/2 years so have been here quite some time. 

Over the years I have been saddened to see many dogs on the streets. Some I am sure were owned by Mexicans who don't put collars on their dogs and a lot of them were thrown out of the houses like garbage unfortunately. Thank goodness over the years things have changed thanks to the Spade and Neuter clinics, and not so many dogs on the street. Since becoming a permanent in Mexico I have had to put my first dog that I came down with to sleep. I told her to save a place for me in puppy heaven.  I have rescued 9 dogs in the last 7 years, and live on my own.If I were 20 years younger I would have rescued many more. The last dog that I rescued was living in a small concrete area with garbage and dog poop all over the place. I spoke to the owner and said if he cleaned it up I would put grass or something down on the property and I also asked him if I could feed the mother and her 3 pups. When I was there they didn't have food or water. I went every day for a month and saw that nothing was being done. One Sunday I went over the 3 puppies were on the street and the mother was inside. I grabbed the puppies put them back where they were suppose to be and was so angry that they were not being looked after that I told the mother to come with me and knew the puppies would follow. The owner called me that night and said you stole my dogs and I said that's the truth and went on to have a conversation with him. It was December 2017 I told him I was keeping them and I ended up giving him some money as he has 3 kids. This dog apparently had 10 puppies  but only 3 survived because they were in the cold. The mother is very sweet, I tried to find her a home but I couldn't so I decided to keep her and get the pups adopted which I did with the help of Cari (she knows who she is) The mother had never been around other dogs, never taken for a walk or ever loved but without all that she was still a sweet dog. These days I usually have 5 or 6 dogs with me and yes they are off leash, dogs need to run and play with other dogs. I try and stay most of the time away from the other dogs since I really have my own pack.  

This person who said my dogs attacked him ( I had 5 with me that day) became a maniac when my dogs went over to him he starting flinging his arms all over the place and started swearing ( I have never seen this man in the park ) this made my dogs start bark and running around but he kept on doing what he thought would settle my dogs down but it did exactly the opposite. I don't think my dog bit him because when he showed it to me it looked like a scratch with very little blood around it. When I saw what it looked like I told him to put something on it, and said if he felt he needed to see a doctor I would pay for it.  The last words that came out of his mouth was I will have a knife on me and will kill your dog.  When he said that I knew he had problems. I kept saying to him please calm down. I wish I would have a photo of the so called bite that he said my dog did and I think everyone would agree with me that it was his flinging his feet and hands that got my dogs barking. I had to laugh when he said his medico looked after him.  I hope this man stays out of the park as there are quite a few dogs that are there in mornings so it would be better for him to go in the afternoon. 

3 minutes ago, jakes said:

These days I usually have 5 or 6 dogs with me and yes they are off leash, dogs need to run and play with other dogs.

There is no exemption in the leash law for the dogs' desire to run free.

No JAKES, I know neither you nor BDMowers.  I’m not a Newbie having been a member of this group for several years and a permanent resident for a lot longer than you have been.  I own a lovely former street dog who, sadly, is beginning to fail.  Please re-read my post in which I merely wrote that I had seen two women and their dogs and that they they should be avoided.  There are a fair number of giddy gringos that I prefer to avoid.  I promise that I will do my best to avoid you.

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

The poster who believes he has the right to walk with five unleashed dogs has the kind of attitude that makes it difficult for all of us to occupy the same space in comfort.  It's possible that the man "waving his arms" has had a previous encounter with dogs where he was hurt and has been in fear of them since.

3 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

Absolutely agree !  There is a lease law for a reason.  First, some dogs are not so well behaved , when outside and not leased.  I have seen dogs rush at a leased or unleased dog. Why I don't know, but it happens. Then the leased dog and owner panic.  Secondly some people  are simply afraid of dogs, either never having had one or a bad experience. Third, what happens if you unleased dog runs into a pack?  Fourth, Some people are a bit incapacitated ( walk with cane) etc. and are frightened they cannot defend themselves.  If your dogs need exercise , take them to a dog park.  

8 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

Absolutely agree !  There is a lease law for a reason.  First, some dogs are not so well behaved , when outside and not leased.  I have seen dogs rush at a leased or unleased dog. Why I don't know, but it happens. Then the leased dog and owner panic.  Secondly some people  are simply afraid of dogs, either never having had one or a bad experience. Third, what happens if you unleased dog runs into a pack?  Fourth, Some people are a bit incapacitated ( walk with cane) etc. and are frightened they cannot defend themselves.  If your dogs need exercise , take them to a dog park.  

As a person who walks with a cane, I hear you loud and clear and am sick and tired of hearing excuses about the dog's need to get exercise.   Even where there is no dog park, there is plenty of open country in this area where people can take their dog.  They don't need to take it to a public park that has the kind of paved walkway providing the only surface that is safe for the less abled and the elderly. (Newsflash:  If you stick around long enough, you'll get old, too !)  Why not make life a little easier for one's fellow humans by obeying the law? 

15 hours ago, jakes said:

These comments are for BANDOL who says he is a Newbie and BD MODERS who says he is an Advanced member. I think they are one in the same. I came to Mexico as a snowbird  10 years ago and have been permanent for 7 1/2 years so have been here quite some time. 

Over the years I have been saddened to see many dogs on the streets. Some I am sure were owned by Mexicans who don't put collars on their dogs and a lot of them were thrown out of the houses like garbage unfortunately. Thank goodness over the years things have changed thanks to the Spade and Neuter clinics, and not so many dogs on the street. Since becoming a permanent in Mexico I have had to put my first dog that I came down with to sleep. I told her to save a place for me in puppy heaven.  I have rescued 9 dogs in the last 7 years, and live on my own.If I were 20 years younger I would have rescued many more. The last dog that I rescued was living in a small concrete area with garbage and dog poop all over the place. I spoke to the owner and said if he cleaned it up I would put grass or something down on the property and I also asked him if I could feed the mother and her 3 pups. When I was there they didn't have food or water. I went every day for a month and saw that nothing was being done. One Sunday I went over the 3 puppies were on the street and the mother was inside. I grabbed the puppies put them back where they were suppose to be and was so angry that they were not being looked after that I told the mother to come with me and knew the puppies would follow. The owner called me that night and said you stole my dogs and I said that's the truth and went on to have a conversation with him. It was December 2017 I told him I was keeping them and I ended up giving him some money as he has 3 kids. This dog apparently had 10 puppies  but only 3 survived because they were in the cold. The mother is very sweet, I tried to find her a home but I couldn't so I decided to keep her and get the pups adopted which I did with the help of Cari (she knows who she is) The mother had never been around other dogs, never taken for a walk or ever loved but without all that she was still a sweet dog. These days I usually have 5 or 6 dogs with me and yes they are off leash, dogs need to run and play with other dogs. I try and stay most of the time away from the other dogs since I really have my own pack.  

This person who said my dogs attacked him ( I had 5 with me that day) became a maniac when my dogs went over to him he starting flinging his arms all over the place and started swearing ( I have never seen this man in the park ) this made my dogs start bark and running around but he kept on doing what he thought would settle my dogs down but it did exactly the opposite. I don't think my dog bit him because when he showed it to me it looked like a scratch with very little blood around it. When I saw what it looked like I told him to put something on it, and said if he felt he needed to see a doctor I would pay for it.  The last words that came out of his mouth was I will have a knife on me and will kill your dog.  When he said that I knew he had problems. I kept saying to him please calm down. I wish I would have a photo of the so called bite that he said my dog did and I think everyone would agree with me that it was his flinging his feet and hands that got my dogs barking. I had to laugh when he said his medico looked after him.  I hope this man stays out of the park as there are quite a few dogs that are there in mornings so it would be better for him to go in the afternoon. 

We know bdmowers and he is a calm and intelligent person. Your remarks are typical of someone trying to rationalize behavior that is nasty. Any one of us would be flinging arms and legs if confronted with 5 dogs circling them and barking and to suggest that the bite wasn't that bad and he was acting like a big baby is ridiculous. You should be apologizing all over the place and looking at your own behavior. Don't believe for a moment that he threatened your dogs with a knife, but if it was me your dogs would have received a shocking....

One day I witnessed a large dog lunge at the motorcycle cop doing a tour of the park. The cop did a U turn back to the owner and calmly said, “Next time I see that dog off leash in the park, I will shoot it.” Hope the women with the unleashed dog packs one day run into this cop. 

Jakes , you have no right to walk with 5 dogs off leash in public parks or on the street. I have 5 dogs and I do not do that. If a person felt threaten by your dogs , you should apologized and keep your dogs on a leash. Go up the mountain with them off leash if you like but not on the street or n public places. A bite can easily get infected . These dogs should be under control . Period.

I love dogs....certainly more than I care for most people. I have 2 dogs and they are as important as my own children to me, especially in my later years as they are with me day in and day out and my kids have their own lives that do not intersect mine on a daily basis. 

I do agree that dogs benefit by running but in an appropriate area with no people that can be frightened whether the dogs are aggressive or not. If 5 unleashed dogs came at me with my German shepherd (who would definitely be on a leash anywhere there were people he did not know) it would be a bad experience for me and probably for the 5 unleashed dogs and their owner as well. My shepherd is not aggressive but I can see such a situation not ending well.  

I am not fond of leashes but they have a purpose and leash laws are a way to protect the majority from the minority who think their dogs right's trump the right's of humans. If Jakes wants the 5 dogs to be able to run unhindered by a leash he/she should have fenced property or find a suitable area where the dogs won't upset or aggravate people to get their exercise. 

Apparently, Christiana park administrators allow dogs offleash in the park.  I will be advocating in Chapala government to change this but it will be helpful if people who come into the park will simply say to the person who takes the admission (there is no other person of authority in the park on a daily basis) to  please not allow dogs offleash in the park.  Maybe this will filter up the authority chain.

" Por favor no permita perros sin correa en el parque.  Es peligroso.  Gracias."

On 1/31/2019 at 6:28 PM, gringal said:

The poster who believes he has the right to walk with five unleashed dogs has the kind of attitude that makes it difficult for all of us to occupy the same space in comfort.  It's possible that the man "waving his arms" has had a previous encounter with dogs where he was hurt and has been in fear of them since.

My wife has the scars from a childhood incident with an unleashed dog. Every time she sees an unleashed dog, she gets behind me and is terrified. She should not have to relive that experience in a city park, or anywhere else. Some people have absolutely no feelings when it comes to another innocent human being. :(

21 minutes ago, gringal said:

Is the leash law for Jalisco State?  If so, the answer is simple.  I realize that getting enforcement is another matter.🙄

https://info.jalisco.gob.mx/sites/default/files/leyes/Ley_Proteccion_Animales_Jalisco.pdf

Article 23.- It is forbidden to travel in public places with pets that are not all controlled by a leash and other means guarantee the safety of passers-by and their goods.

Dog pack kills woman during 11-minute attack in México state

The 11 dogs attacked the woman as she walked to work Monday night

And the police are being hindered in gathering up the dogs by people hiding them. They are likely saying dogs need to be free to run and play and probably that woman was waving her arms and screaming at them so it is her own fault. 

1 hour ago, gringal said:

Is the leash law for Jalisco State?  If so, the answer is simple.  I realize that getting enforcement is another matter.🙄

Yes, apparently the only places dog owners are strongly being asked by the "tourist inspectors" to leash their dogs (no tickets being issued yet) are on the Chapala and Ajijic malecons.  But perhaps officials regulating the park can be persuaded to post a sign and the ticket taker can be persuaded to gently admonish dog owners to leash their dogs for safety to other park users.  Not sure if at this point, more can be done legally or administratively.

1 hour ago, AngusMactavish said:

https://info.jalisco.gob.mx/sites/default/files/leyes/Ley_Proteccion_Animales_Jalisco.pdf

Article 23.- It is forbidden to travel in public places with pets that are not all controlled by a leash and other means guarantee the safety of passers-by and their goods.

Good digging! I looked but couldn`t find anything.

A person seeing 5 unleashed dogs running toward him has to make a very quick decision - are they friendly and going to try to lick his hand or unfriendly and going to bite him? If they are barking wildly is it a happy hello or a get off my sidewalk? Most of us would tend to err on the side of caution and respond to a possible attack.

The "controlled by other means..." is the issue here. When I lived NOB my dog had a Boulder County Off-Leash tag meaning he had received training and would come when called and respond properly to 'stay' and 'down'. We loved going to the off-leash trails. I admit he minded about 90% of the time - unless there were cows to herd or prairie dogs to chase.

Sorry. Unless your dogs are trained to properly respond, and come to you when called, you have no business with them off leash in a public park. 

I go to this park often with my dog and am always amazed to see people coming in with 8 to 10 dogs. I then watch them as they poop as the owner is to busy controlling the pack to notice who is pooping. It is just a matter of time before city hall steps in. I always have several poop bags with me just in case.

Its sad that just a few will spoil the early runs of one owner and his dog. ( and there are several in the early hours of the morning).

Archived