Chapala.com Webboard

More attempts to overdevelop Ajijic

HarryB

22 minutes ago, HarryB said:

the high rise in la Floresta

The Highrise next to la Huerta shopping center

The Tapala development

" Harry...please provide a few examples of when and where this has actually happened here. "

All of these are still in limbo.  When any construction is torn down to the ground, it will have been "resolved." How about an example from the past which was protested and which failed to materialize?

8 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Unless the financial implications to me personally are insurmountable, I'd have to be nuts, completely nuts, to even try and attack any municipal officials with a lawyer in hand. For any number of reasons that should be obvious. Apathy has nothing to do with it.

Right.  I don't have the unlimited funds or the mind set needed to fight city hall.  I have seen examples of others who fought the good fight and it took over their lives and their savings.

Just now, HarryB said:

then apathy wins the day, that's what politicos count on

You can call it "apathy",  but  you have not yet provided samples of successful battles in the past. 

If the opposite of "apathy" is spending large amounts of money, time and energy fighting for causes,  that could also be the definition of what it takes to ignore the reality of the past, aka history.  For history, I offer El Dorado, Radisson Blu, Walmart and perhaps even the structure sitting still on the Ajijic pier.

Of course, you could say that people were apathetic or they could have been stopped.  That would have to be filed under "unknowables".

Examples of proposed development that was stopped:

Above the libramiento on the west side, opposite the shopping center area, there is a zigzag road that was going to go to a proposed development on the hill--that was stopped many years ago, altho sadly the scar is still there.

Also, there was interest expressed in developing the site of the old plant nursery on that side of the road, but that has not happened either. 

10 minutes ago, JayBearII said:

Examples of proposed development that was stopped:

Above the libramiento on the west side, opposite the shopping center area, there is a zigzag road that was going to go to a proposed development on the hill--that was stopped many years ago, altho sadly the scar is still there.

Also, there was interest expressed in developing the site of the old plant nursery on that side of the road, but that has not happened either. 

Do you know who stopped the zigzag road, and is it permanently stopped? I've heard that it's in "limbo".  It is a serious eyesore.

How was the proposed nursery development stopped?

I guess I am looking for an example of a group of residents who came together and  successfully opposed a project...which ended permanently.

2 hours ago, HarryB said:

then apathy wins the day, that's what politicos count on

Horsefeathers. Your definition of apathy is merely a blanket statement invoking the wrong choice of words in an effort to patronize everyone who disagrees with your statement. The opposite of your characterization of apathy would be my interpretation of insanity.

The Chimalli Axixic group through protests and legal representation has successfully changed the zoning fir El Tepalo back to a protected area permanently . Signed and certified.

They had plans to build tower blocks on this site.  

There is still a lot to do and there are so many capable and dedicated people here lakeside I think we have a good chance of containing these crazy projects driven by greed alone.

" Horsefeathers. Your definition of apathy is merely a blanket statement invoking the wrong choice of words in an effort to patronize everyone who disagrees with your statement. The opposite of your characterization of apathy would be my interpretation of insanity. "

Good one.  However, so much depends on what a person is willing to throw his/her energy into.  I don't accept anyone's "patronizing" since I have enough credits for doing community service in an entirely different way that I have no need to be involved in this particular project.  Others get credits for helping the poor, the children and the animals.  All fine, as is this project to stop development.  To accuse anyone of "apathy" because of non-involvement in one's own project is narrow minded.  

Yes, these building projects are driven by greed,  but that should come as no surprise to anyone.  Greed drives the wheels of Capitalism and of government.  Always has.  As I said before, I would be glad to see HarryB's project succeed.  We shall see.

47 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

The Chimalli Axixic group through protests and legal representation has successfully changed the zoning fir El Tepalo back to a protected area permanently . Signed and certified.

They had plans to build tower blocks on this site.  

There is still a lot to do and there are so many capable and dedicated people here lakeside I think we have a good chance of containing these crazy projects driven by greed alone.

I'm sure we'd all like to see some documentation backing up your new claim, considering it was only days ago the el Presidente was not willing to do so other than an oral promise... worth the paper it's written on.

Up past Min Wah and just around the corner to the left, the original middle finger to the building height rules still stands.  Built in 1999, at five stories it was the first out-of-height-compliance building erected here.  When it became apparent that the building would be two stories over height restrictions, a group of neighbors up there, who were being impacted by the construction, asked me to make an appointment with the then-presidente of Chapala to meet and discuss the situation.

We presented our case and were told that the building company had applied for and received an amparo--a court-protected exemption from the rules.  The presidente informed us that there are three levels of amparos: municipal, state, and federal.  If the amparo is at the municipal level, one can go to court to have it removed by the state.  If it's a state amparo, you take it to the Feds.  If it's a federal amparo, the only recourse is to the Supreme Court.  The amparo for that 5-story building was granted at the federal level.  Of COURSE the builders knew.  The neighbors didn't have the funds to fight it at that level.

The building's still there, and as far as I know it was the first incidence of its kind in the municipio of Chapala. 

One could probably go to the municipio and find out what kind of amparo these new developers have.  You can bet they're not going to build all that crap without one.

My eye-witness report.

I suspect that anyone who has the substantial money and energy needed to fight "City Hall" here, would probably prefer to spend that money and energy moving from here to a place that suited them better and avoid the inevitable pains in the butt that will result. 

2 hours ago, Tiny said:

And remember you will have to do it over again and again when new people take control of "City Hall".

Yes. I fought the good fight in southern California decades ago. Even the few battles we managed to win were just lulls. There was always another and another and.... In the end, the war was lost, of course. There was too much money to be made.  And, the culture of corruption there was not as old and deep as it is here. Still it was established and deep enough. If fighting the inevitable is how someone wishes to spend their remaining time and they have the money to fund their fight, they should go for it. 

8 hours ago, Xena said:

Yes. I fought the good fight in southern California decades ago. Even the few battles we managed to win were just lulls. There was always another and another and.... In the end, the war was lost, of course. There was too much money to be made.  And, the culture of corruption there was not as old and deep as it is here. Still it was established and deep enough. If fighting the inevitable is how someone wishes to spend their remaining time and they have the money to fund their fight, they should go for it. 

You summed it up well. After a few of those kinds of battles,( and I've been there and done that, too)...it becomes obvious that these can absorb all your time, energy and money without ever winning the big war. The population has exploded in the last few decades. The media has ingrained a fantasy in the minds of the public: that the very best lifestyle is to live on the beach or high on a hill with a grand view.  Living in the woods or by a lake is good, too.  Anyone from a bygone era knows that those are dangerous locations, prone to natural disasters.  But when your desires are influenced by the movies....good judgment can be lost in the process.  Meanwhile, there are enterprising folks who want nothing more than to fulfill such fantasies and who also have the wherewithal to fund them...and they never give up. They aren't necessarily motivated by the worst kind of Greed: this is just how they make a living and feed their dependents.  The culture of corruption has been around so long that it doesn't cause a blip in "business as usual".

I have been fighting city hall since I was 24 and blocked a 2000 condo development. Yes, win some lose some. But, to not fight means lose all. I have dedicated 18 years to this village and will continue to win some and lose some. The more you win the less you have to fight.

39 minutes ago, HarryB said:

I have been fighting city hall since I was 24 and blocked a 2000 condo development. Yes, win some lose some. But, to not fight means lose all. I have dedicated 18 years to this village and will continue to win some and lose some. The more you win the less you have to fight.

And while we may be countering your discussions here, that does not mean we do not appreciate all your time and effort, and help. Let me just say that so you know for sure.

Me too.

And, for the record, you can spend a lot of money for all the right reasons and still lose... or give up depending on your situation. Have done it in Canada and have done it in Nayarit... and know others who have also done it in both countries. You can be right... and you can be dead right from the stress and frustration. Yours to choose.

Yes. FIGHT! There is more power with more people. Individuals trying to fight are spitting into the wind. This is NOW in San Pancho. 500 people and San Pancho is very small compared to Ajijic.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2Ff93c5a8b001%2Faf6de479-bc14-4830-9be2-834fcbed334e.jpg&t=1548955623&ymreqid=bbc75dd9-d034-250b-01dd-320010010000&sig=GEi3Jpvnu9KR8ATV9ucv5A--~C

The Community Marched, again!

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2Ff93c5a8b001%2Fc668e40a-98e1-43f0-9f2d-b19f3fd5a950.jpg&t=1548955623&ymreqid=bbc75dd9-d034-250b-01dd-320010010000&sig=zEac3mrbpEqRdfSXM3z2lg--~C

The residents and friends of San Pancho came together on Jan. 23rd to march in protest of the Punta Paraiso building project.  Everyone feels that the project will negatively impact the town in many ways.  The environmentalists are against it because it disrupts the turtle nesting areas.  The villagers also have concerns about parking and the impact that it will have on the already overtaxed water and sewer systems.  The biggest contention with the project is that the developers used questionable maneuvers to take possession of part of the Federal Zone, which is public land along beaches and other waterways.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2Ff93c5a8b001%2Fb9672f3c-5e42-435e-bdff-b7c021f710e9.jpg&t=1548955623&ymreqid=bbc75dd9-d034-250b-01dd-320010010000&sig=SayEalTPLurTYI386GhJig--~C The protest march started in the football field and ended on the beach in front of the Punta Paraiso construction site. This was the 2nd march in opposition to this project.  This year's march was attended by approximately 500 persons all carrying signs and chanting, accompanied by drummers, a band and even people on horseback.  

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2Ff93c5a8b001%2Fc6b1098b-b796-4c17-90bf-62b3401619d5.jpg&t=1548955623&ymreqid=bbc75dd9-d034-250b-01dd-320010010000&sig=JgqPmw0XYpaZpzMdZmJ76w--~C But this year the organizers of the march went a step further by bringing their plea to the President of  Mexico.
During his visit to Nayarit, the President of the Republic, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, attended a delegation of San Pancho residents,  who asked him for an investigation into the file that allowed for the construction of the Punta Paraíso condominiums on 'land reclaimed from the sea'.

There are many in the town who believe very strongly that the portion of the Punta Paraiso project that is on the federal land will have to be removed.  It will be very interesting to watch as this story develops further.  
mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2Ff93c5a8b001%2F2c53ad1d-500e-4b26-a0db-bb0539a1dece.jpg&t=1548955623&ymreqid=bbc75dd9-d034-250b-01dd-320010010000&sig=dhYHEyZKWIzkvircItxTMQ--~C

Here's some more recent material on the subject that was sent to us.

On 1/30/2019 at 3:07 PM, ComputerGuy said:

I'm sure we'd all like to see some documentation backing up your new claim, considering it was only days ago the el Presidente was not willing to do so other than an oral promise... worth the paper it's written on.

Did you read the Guadalajara Reporter? Dale Palfrey stated very clearly that the board retuned it to agricultural  andForrest land.

If you would like a copy of the reversal of the zoning in el Tepalo you can ask for the edict, issued 28 January 2019, from Arq Rivas un Urban Planning , second floor of the Chapala city hall.

Archived