Chapala.com Webboard

Phone # to report bad (old) drivers?

kimanjome

My husband just returned from Superlake, where he was walking across the parking lot.  And elderly driver--he says about 90 years old (he is 70+)--hit him with her car as she was passing through.  She did not stop.  Worse, she continued driving and hit a second pedestrian.  One of the parking lot hombres who cleans the car witnessed this and chased after her to slow her down, but she just barreled along and then almost hit a car!   She is going to kill somebody.  Is there a phone # like NOB where you can report this kind of thing (the senior driver) and have her checked out?  Probably I am assuming too much....

25 minutes ago, SunshineyDay said:

What about...

Whataboutism (also known as whataboutery) is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument, which in the United States is particularly associated with Soviet and Russian propaganda. When criticisms were leveled at the Soviet Union during the Cold War, the Soviet response would often be "What about..." followed by an event in the Western world

25 minutes ago, SunshineyDay said:

You are right to be concerned because she could have sight and hearing problems. But!

What about all the fearless (mostly moto) drivers that daily disobey traffic laws and either are involved in or cause many accidents.

What about the nonagenarian who actually hit two people and fled the scene of the crime (yes, it's  a crime, even for the entitled) today? 

What about looking both ways before stepping into a lane of traffic (yes, even laterals) with moving vehicles before crossing it?

I see too many people leaving Superlake with their heads down and carrying bags that never look left or right.  That´s not to excuse hit and run.

You can never assume you have the right away in Mexico, especially if your on foot competing with a machine that is bigger and more powerful.

The old rule was,. sad to say,  bigger equals right of way.

4 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Still seems to be the rule here. I have learned that when an 18-wheeler decides he wants to pass, it doesn't matter if you have almost passed him, he is going to pass first. That is still scary ! :(

Getting a plate number, and car and driver description would be a good place to start. Post it on social media and perhaps someone can do an intervention. No phone # to call that I know of, but friends might be able to convince her to stop driving, or disable the car if necessary. (I had to do this to my Mom to keep her from driving - I'm the mean kid)

15 hours ago, slainte39 said:

What about looking both ways before stepping into a lane of traffic (yes, even laterals) with moving vehicles before crossing it?

I see too many people leaving Superlake with their heads down and carrying bags that never look left or right.  That´s not to excuse hit and run.

You can never assume you have the right away in Mexico, especially if your on foot competing with a machine that is bigger and more powerful.

Obviously, there is absolutely no excuse for what happened with this woman, BUT slainte has an excellent point. Yesterday, we were going to Tony's/SL and couldn't believe the number of folks that charged out without checking to see if cars were coming. This is especially true on the main roadway just in front. And don't even get me started about Wally's World...

So she actually hit two pedestrians , but the fact that she almost hit a car deserves the exclamation point ?!

This situation is probably an assumed risk when moving here, just like the daredevil motos. Pedestrians must not assume they are safe crossing anything

I was rear-ended by a large truck at a double red light in La Floresta and left after the impact rammed my Nissan March 100 feet. The authorities had provided no help with the collision hit and run, even after I supplied the license plate # and description. The irony is that my vehicle was impounded as I was driven away in the ambulance! 

7 hours ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Maybe look at it as a local would; you don't take action against a person without knowing his/her standing in the community e.g. her surname, her connections, members of her family.  If she's a bum you are that semi and she is a motor scooter.   If not you've made some enemies.   Even though she might be hazardous to others she wasn't at fault for any damage to you personally.  If you want to be laughed at today go and report her the the authorities. 

That is a true reality .

Archived