Chapala.com Webboard

odd or even

monadog

Why doesn't Jalisco and other states affected the man made gas crisis start the odd and even license numbers to get in line? It worked pretty well in the US in the 70s. 

The other problem is, I never know when or where one of the 500 new gas trucks by purchased by the Mexico government is going to arrive here in Chapala/Ajijic so I can get inline,

The company the Mexican government purchases it's tanker trucks from for Pemex anounced it will take 1 to 2 years to make the 500 trucks. It stated Pemex only orders trucks about every 10 years and order them I year before the delivery date and they have none in stock at the moment. These are the largest tanker trucks with a trailer tank made not the ones we see at Pemex stations. They need to be special ordered from the truck body manufacture also because they have special motors, transmissions and brakes. Then the tank is put on by this manufacturer along with a tanker trailer. I presume the Mexican government will be looking at purchasing tanker trucks from other manufactures soon.

The gas lines, including people filling containers for resale, and shortages. would be minimized if gas stations were allowed, by gov't to set the price at which they sell.

The people that are reselling gasoline, establish a  free market  price (although illegal) with no line.

10 minutes ago, TechnoNorm said:

The gas lines, including people filling containers for resale, and shortages. would be minimized if gas stations were allowed, by gov't to set the price at which they sell.

The people that are reselling gasoline, establish a  free market  price (although illegal) with no line.

It IS the government that sets the selling price of gasoline at the stations.  That's why there have been monthly price increases at the pump for lo these many years.  I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

Things must have changed in Canada then. Which ever company you were affiliated with TOLD you the price per litre at which you were going to be selling gas. They wanted to be competitive in the market. And, since I paid for a delivery of gas when it was delivered, I RESENTED it when, after paying for the gas, the person to pump it and the electricity to operate the pumps, I was not making any profit.

Okay, let me be more clear. The companies that own the stations set the prices. The government does not set the pump prices.

But on the competitive side, the only competition they are interested in is a circle of collusion. Everyone is within a few pennies per litre all the time. Sure, it has to do with how much the market will bear, but the companies decide that, too.

It is my understanding that gas stations can set their own prices under the energy reforms enacted by the previous administration. There is a federal agency in Mexico that regulates "gouging" because of an unusual occurrence.  Much like most states in the USA have anti gouging laws after a natural disaster. 

3 hours ago, TechnoNorm said:

"This is because, until the January 2017gasolinazo mentioned above, gasoline prices here were controlled by the government. "

https://www.google.com.mx/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/opinion/articles/2018-04-20/mexico-s-high-gasoline-prices-don-t-make-a-lot-of-sense

Gasoline prices used to be regulated at the pumps but not for the last 2 years. Gas stations can charge whatever they want. It really is more expensive in some locations than others. Here in San Luis Potosi the Pemex stations close to Costco are cheaper than the Pemex stations further away and the prices were higher in Queretaro than in San Luis Potosi in Dec. etc.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Okay, let me be more clear. The companies that own the stations set the prices. The government does not set the pump prices.

But on the competitive side, the only competition they are interested in is a circle of collusion. Everyone is within a few pennies per litre all the time. Sure, it has to do with how much the market will bear, but the companies decide that, too.

Actually, in the Maritime provinces in Canada, the government DOES regulate the price of gas.  All the stations, whether it's Irving, BP, Esso or any others, all have to charge exactly the same price as everyone else.  The government decides when the price of gas can be raised or lowered, depending on market conditions.

16 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

The company the Mexican government purchases it's tanker trucks from for Pemex anounced it will take 1 to 2 years to make the 500 trucks. It stated Pemex only orders trucks about every 10 years and order them I year before the delivery date and they have none in stock at the moment. These are the largest tanker trucks with a trailer tank made not the ones we see at Pemex stations. They need to be special ordered from the truck body manufacture also because they have special motors, transmissions and brakes. Then the tank is put on by this manufacturer along with a tanker trailer. I presume the Mexican government will be looking at purchasing tanker trucks from other manufactures soon.

Hope they watch some of the Max Max series of movies, to get some ideas on how to protect the trucks.

9 minutes ago, suegarn said:

Actually, in the Maritime provinces in Canada, the government DOES regulate the price of gas.  All the stations, whether it's Irving, BP, Esso or any others, all have to charge exactly the same price as everyone else.  The government decides when the price of gas can be raised or lowered, depending on market conditions.

I did not know that. I should have checked before making a blanket statement. Research on this is hard to come across; however, it appears that prices in four provinces are set by regulation; these provinces happen to be in the Maritimes.  Quebec sets a minimum price, but not a fixed price. The other provinces and territories are not controlled by the government or by commissions. https://www.consumerscouncil.com/index.cfm?id=13904

The Canadian government can only set prices in an emergency.

I know in Oklahoma and I suspect in other states their is a minimum and maximum price a station may charge based on the cost they pay for the gasoline.  This is to prevent a station from setting an artificial price to run a competitor out of business and in times of disaster of charging a gouging price.  I know in times of disaster some stations have been charged with exceeding the limit.

Pemex has shut down the pipeline supplying Nuevo Leon. The lines are forming in Monterrey and gas stations are closing.

Interesting; here in San Luis Potosi our local Pemex storage facility is supplied by tanks on trains and we have gas. I drove a lot this week all over and when on the highways saw tanker trucks [ the same size trucks we see at Pemex stations not the large ones ] from a company called EcoMex many times especially heading south on the Mx. 59 towards Queretaro. They were shiny new looking trucks.  

The Pemex storage facility is beside our only freeway and usually has railroad tanker cars sitting there but now has there is a whole sting of them running along a track for who knows how long - possibly kilometers long.

AMLO, there is not much point in shutting down and opening up pipelines without a concentration of might surrounding it. Is this even possible? I don't know, but we were all getting gas before you started this, and I suggest you go back to the way it was while beefing up your gasoline armies. At least that way, thousands of businesses and millions of people wouldn't be suffering from your seeming lack of awareness.

I applaud the effort to stop the cartel theft.

However, it could have been better planned.  They left the 2nd largest city in the County high and dry.  It would be like the US implementing a huge change and forgetting about Los Angeles or Chicago; or Canada ignoring the impact on Montreal or Vancouver.  

29 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

The way it was, was massive theft and damage to the pipelines.  The crackdown isn't perfect but it is really stopping the theft.  I support the government in doing this, that level of theft simply had to be stopped.

But it is not. The pipeline we rely on is closed again, two days ago, after three major cartel taps in the two hour period after it was open. Mexican newspapers are full of these stories. My take is that it was happening and we were getting gas, so let it happen while you attempt ways to fix it. Don't be stupid and ruin the economy of many states while applying the same $%&/()ic techniques of the "war on drugs", that last year resulted in 33,000 murders in Mexico.

My point: unreliable, poorly planned, and forced methods that don't work.

Stopping the taps quickly or not is not the point. If they were so good at stopping the taps, they could open the pipeline. Not a valid argument, to me.

There are so many news articles flying around. What I read a few days ago was that the opening of the pipeline was a temporary opening, a couple of days, to help relieve the problem until other things were worked out.

Archived