Chapala.com Webboard

So how are newbies enjoying the cold?

CHILLIN

So how many are shocked to find the cold? I know, they will hear every year "this is not normal", "its all right if you get out into the sun" but this year seems a little colder, especially at night, and a lot cloudier. Never forgot the coldest day of our life when we moved here from Puerto Vallarta on November 1. Luckily we still had some polar fleece for our trip through the U.S.A., and I still had some sweat pants that I was going to cut down to shorts but never got around to it.

It also seems damper which also makes it seem colder.

I guess it depends on where the newbies are coming from. When we arrived in SMA from Canada, we didn't find it cold at all even after five years. After moving back inland from San Pancho, Nayarit, it's COLD.

6 minutes ago, Ferret said:

It also seems damper which also makes it seem colder.

Now that you mentioned that, we had rain in GDL twice in the last week or so.

We came from the US Midwest so, like you, this is warm compared to that.

Oh, boo hoo - it's all relative, isn't it.  The windchill in Toronto overnight this weekend is expected to be -30C (-22F).  At least we can get out here for a lovely walk with a sweater on, which we certainly couldn't do in Toronto - it would be hibernation time for us.  Let's enjoy it here.

Even with the warmer and very little snow this winter in NW Montana...not as brutal a winter...

Being able to enjoy the warmth of the entire experience...people, food, sun and 75 degree plus temperatures

is sooooo wonderful.  To me his is plenty warm...as so many have expressed...it is relative to one's experience both

here and wherever one hails from.😁

The difference with Canada is that the houses there have heat here they do not. I have worked in MOntana, Wyoming, Alaska and so on in the wnter but I never was once cold once in the house unlike here where it is uncomfortable in or out in the morning or at nght.

4 minutes ago, bmh said:

The difference with Canada is that the houses there have heat here they do not. I have worked in MOntana, Wyoming, Alaska and so on in the wnter but I never was once cold once in the house unlike here where it is uncomfortable in or out in the morning or at nght.

Buy a heater.  HAHAHA

3 hours ago, bmh said:

Tiny not sure why you laugh at your own remarks that really are not funny,

I have lots of windows 2 fireplaces and 4 heaters and I still say thet the houses up north are more comfortable when the cold is wy stronger.

I built my house with double brick walls and double pane windows and the house stays warm without heaters. Insulation is everything. 

I too have double glazed windows. My reason was twofold. One was for insultation and the other was for sound deadening. The windows in my large bedroom face south and my house is as far up the hill as one can go. These south facing windows face the lake, the sun, and those loud cohetes (Spelling?) or fireworks that go off every time there is a celebration in downtown Ajijic.

On these cold nights I need a little bit of heating but not much. For heat, I either use tree trimmings in my fireplace or a small electrical heater when my electrical solar panels have generated more power than I had  consumed.

"I built my house with double brick walls and double pane windows" + ""windows...face south" = the first principles of 'passive solar' design, where the orientation and geometry of the house plan allows light to seasonally warm structural thermal mass such as masonry within an insulated space.  Ideally, heat is absorbed during the day and released slowly at night.

Well if you have plenty of money to put double pane windows good for you , we have a house that was here , we did not build it so  we wll  put up with a cold house for 2 months and have a wonderfully cool house totally opened to the garden the rest of the year. I ll take the two cold months ..

Yes - nights are supposed to go down to 37 this week. No, you long time residents missed my point - I was wondering if there any anecdotes from seeing newcomeros coming here, wearing their shorts and flip flops, expecting a low budget tropical paradise (as expounded by many Lakeside and international propaganda sources). Sitting in the morning or evening chill, pretending to enjoy it. Taking dives in unheated pools this time of year, and emerging like popsicles.

Archived