Chapala.com Webboard

Fighting salitre with cuts in plaster above baseboard

Has anybody tried to prevent salitre by making long cuts in the plaster above the base boards to give the moisture an excape exit instead of climbing up your walls and causing salitre.  Our contractor Gustavo has recommended this approach claiming that it is successful 90% of the time.  I just wanted to know who else has tried this remedy, and did it eliminate much of the salitre problems.  Thanks in advance.

On 1/10/2019 at 11:54 PM, dichosalocura said:

Has anybody tried to prevent salitre by making long cuts in the plaster above the base boards to give the moisture an excape exit instead of climbing up your walls and causing salitre.  Our contractor Gustavo has recommended this approach claiming that it is successful 90% of the time.  I just wanted to know who else has tried this remedy, and did it eliminate much of the salitre problems.  Thanks in advance.

Makes sense. Do you have any photos of the application? Does the cut have any paint covering it? How wide a cut is required? Thanks. 

My experience with salitre is that no method will get rid of it except for eliminating the source of the moisture getting into the wall. Once you've done that, you have to keep treating it with muriatic acid solution for as long as it takes until there is no more salitre coming out. Only then can you seal the inside wall and paint it.

Salitre 'fixes' depend directly on source of moisture being eliminated or controlled if not eliminated.  So many different sources....roof leak/overflow of gutters/lack of gutters and escape route for water at various locations.  French drains when applicable.  After 25 years of owning a home here, I have 'treated many aspects of my home'...and have resigned myself to making such efforts.  I agree with mudgirl. 

Archived