Chapala.com Webboard

passport renewal

My wife and I are getting close to having to renew our passports. I  used the search bar and it says that the U.S. Consulate is at L.C.S. on Wednesdays at 10:30 but does not say for how long.

Also it says that checks must be for exact rate which confuses me . I plan on paying in U.S. dollars with a check written on Bank of America as I do not have a Mexican bank account.

So.. my questions are how do I pay for the passports and how much are they?

How long is the consulate at L.C.S. ?

How long does it take to have a new passport issued after completing the process ?

Any thing else I should know ?

Thanks for your help !

I just got my new passport.  Get there early as there will be long lines and they will leave as soon as they are done.  I called LCS the Monday before the counsulates comes here to get the amount for the check.  It must be exact and the consulate will only accept a check in pesos from Banamex in Chapala.  If you go to LCS they will give you a list of what you need to bring, the check, passport photo,  a photocopy of your passport etc.  I went the following month to pick up my passport.

33 minutes ago, Syver117 said:

I just got my new passport.  Get there early as there will be long lines and they will leave as soon as they are done.  I called LCS the Monday before the counsulates comes here to get the amount for the check.  It must be exact and the consulate will only accept a check in pesos from Banamex in Chapala.  If you go to LCS they will give you a list of what you need to bring, the check, passport photo,  a photocopy of your passport etc.  I went the following month to pick up my passport.

Hi Syver,

Thanks for  the info. I am a bit confused regarding payment however. I was told by LCS I can pay in actual pesos and don't need a banamex check as I don't have a Banamex account. I also read that banamex will issue a cashier's check. Can you help me with this ?

Thanks

Here is the latest from the American Legion.

US Consulate Checklist

Passports                               January, 2019

1.     Proper form completed and signed

2.     2 photos 2”x2” or 5 x 5 cm. (NO GLASSES)

3.    Bank checks payable to “United States Disbursing Officer on behalf” in Mexican pesos.  There are no cash/card transactions.  Bank checks in Pesos only from Banamex  located at Av. Francisco I Madero 222, Col. Centro, 45900 Chapala, Jal., Mexico. Tel:  376 765 2271 . 

4.    Your old passport and one photo copy

NO FIRST TIME APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED

*Fees:

(Exchange rate 20.50 MXP per 1 USD)

DON’T SIGN OR WRITE ANYTHING ON THE CHECK

Please don’t print your application in one page (use one sheet per page)

Simple passport renewal $2,255 Pesos / 110 USD        Form DS-82

Card $615 pesos/30 USD                          Form DS-82

Renewal for age 15 and under $2,357.50 Pesos / 115 USD       Form DS-11

Card $307.50/15 USD

Lost or Stolen passport $2,972.50 Pesos / 145 USD   Forms DS-64 & DS-11

Kids of 16 or over $ 2,972.50 pesos / 145 USD Forms DS-11

Notary $1,025 Pesos / 50 USD per impression

To notarize a document

The applicant has to present an OFFICIAL AND CURRENT US or Mexican   ID such as:

-US Passport

-US Driver License

-Mexican Passport

-Mexican Driver License///-Mexican Voter Card (IFE)

Just one more thing to add.  Banamex will have you fill out their form requesting the check.  The American Legion has a sample copy of the form since it's all in Spanish and their are only certain areas you need to complete.  Best to go to the bank the day before you meet with the Consulate.

2 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

It can be such a clusterf*ck trying to get the check at Banamex in the correct amount that we found it far easier to take the bus to Guad and then a taxi to the consulate from the bus station. Given it would have cost $400 for two checks (and if they're in the wrong amount, sorry no refunds and another $400 for 2- new checks), the $260 it cost us RT in bus and taxi fares was a bargain. We paid with our U.S. debit cards in U.S. dollars. You can pay FedEx (kiosk inside the consulate) extra to deliver them to your door, but we waited and picked them up at the Legion the following month. So much easier IMO.  

Thank you for sharing. A great alternative and the opportunity for a day in Guadalajara 

On 1/7/2019 at 10:48 AM, twelveoaks said:

Hi Syver,

Thanks for  the info. I am a bit confused regarding payment however. I was told by LCS I can pay in actual pesos and don't need a banamex check as I don't have a Banamex account. I also read that banamex will issue a cashier's check. Can you help me with this ?

Thanks

You can only pay with the Banamex check and you do not need an account.  I debated about going to Guadalajara, but it was very easy to do it here and I am glad I did not go to Guad.  If you do go to Guad you can use your credit card.  I don’t think they will take your personal check in Guad either.

We just renewed our passports Wednesday at the American Legion.  Very simple, Banamex no problem and did not have to go into Guadalajara Embassy.  Renewing both mine and my husbands passports, only required one check totaling two renewal fees, did not have to pay for two separate checks. Have been to the embassy several times before for other reasons not an easy adventure, i.e. parking, time, waiting even with appointment, etc.

The personnel at the embassy very helpful via emails and telephone.  Personal checks are not accepted at either location.  The following links explain everything.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/guadalajara/lake-chapalaajijic-services/

https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passport-services/

• 11 months later...
5 minutes ago, JERRY Burden said:

Where do you get passport photo in Chapala or Ajijic?

I had my photos made at the new Farmacias Guadalajara at the new medical building between Riberas and San Antonio for 20 pesos. The Consulate accepted them.