Chapala.com Webboard

Southern Sisters Restaurant

Wookie

41 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Has anyone eaten here lately?  Has it improved since the several many bad reviews when it first opened?  If you have and liked it, what did you have?

Sounds like you're hoping someone ELSE spends their lunch money taking a chance on Southern Sistas.  How 'bout you trying it and reporting?😎

We tried it for breakfast recently with friends--service was extremely slow, which is not what one looks for at breakfast, and the food was not worth the wait. 

• We ate there Thursday night for the first time.  Two ordered chicken fried chicken steak and liked it.  One ordered chicken fingers and liked it.  Another ordered pasta, thinking it was a healthy choice, and it had a lot of butter in the sauce.  He'll never be happy in a southern food restaurant.  Dinner started with a good salad or soup.  Soup was chicken with veggies.  Homemade, large veggie pieces, good flavor and chicken fat.  Again, southern cooking is not low fat.  We had a choice of two sides.  I had hush puppies (not greasy) and potato salad (lots of pickle flavor, creamy and very good).  Dessert available was peach cobbler, but no one had room.  I think we'll go back just to try dessert and take dinner home. 
  • Every one wanted to return sometime soon.  Service was very friendly.  The food did take awhile to arrive, but considering the oil had to reach high temperature to fry my hushpuppies I wasn't surprised.  The owner came out for a conversation and said her current staff are very good at helping her.

Breakfast is the test for any restaurant. In and out in 45 minutes, spend more time if you want. A week and a half ago it took 2 hours for breakfast which is totally, TOTALLY  unacceptable.

After 5 attempts including 3 dinners we are not going back for dinner just to see if they have got their act together. There are far better places to eat. I will waste no more money on them.

Six weeks ago we were there for lunch.  I ordered a fried chicken breast and was brought a leg quarter.  It was some of the worst fried chicken I have ever had.  Tasted like it was cooked the day before and I was sick that night from eating it.  We won't go back.

gringal:  I have spent my money there and reported on it and it wasn't pretty.  At that time everyone piled on me for giving a bad review.  It seems that nothing has really changed and I thank all of you that either didn't read my review or decided to try it for yourself or try it again after being open many months ... for replying to my question.  We won't bother going.

25 minutes ago, Wookie said:

gringal:  I have spent my money there and reported on it and it wasn't pretty.  At that time everyone piled on me for giving a bad review.  It seems that nothing has really changed and I thank all of you that either didn't read my review or decided to try it for yourself or try it again after being open many months ... for replying to my question.  We won't bother going.

I doubt that I piled on you if you gave a bad review.  You are doing the rest of us a favor by telling us what you experienced. I try to do that when I report on a place; realizing that others may experience the same thing very differently.

Looks like we have one satisfied customer among the most recent reports.  Not enough for me, but then, I don't much like Southern style cooking in the first place.  Too greasy.

I ate there a month ago, and enjoyed whatever it was I had... we were the only ones in the place, so service was fine. I noticed, though, that they don't have fried chicken: only chicken-fried chicken breast.

Gringal, you are right ... you were not one of the ones that "piled on" when I posted our experience.  In fact, this was your exact comment, "Wookie, thanks for taking the time to tell us what happened, in just the right amount of detail (bless your heart).   Looks like it will take some time to get all that fixed, and you saved others from having a very disappointing experience. 😉"   I was so hoping that they were going to be good because I am one of those people that grew up on good Southern cooking.  Yes, it can be greasy but it isn't really supposed to be dripping with grease ... I have seen gravy that has grease swimming around on top .... and that is not my idea of good Southern cooking.  However, yes, fried food (chicken, catfish, chicken fried steak) are some of my very favorite.  Like anything else, eaten once in a while probably won't kill a person.  It is comfort food to me.

On 1/6/2019 at 6:48 PM, Oatsie said:

Here's your chance to try it yourself AND help the Ranch Dogs:

image.png.d742f7b53a59d23b4c4c668a96b3856b.png

Oatsie, thanks for the plug, but the dinner is SOLD OUT! YEAH!! Also notice that the food is being prepared by Juan Mata and Ranch volunteers. Southern Sisters has generously donated the venue.

We saw this advertisement but since we had such a bad experience we didn't make a reservation ... would rather just donate than have a bad meal.  Wish we had known that others were doing the cooking as we absolutely love fried catfish!!  Enjoy some for us :)

• 2 weeks later...

Had a fairly fine breakfast over a month ago on a Sunday, and talked with the waitress who said she was one of the sisters.  I asked about the fried chicken, thinking Southern pan fried, but was told it was deep fried but they had tried various ways and settled on one.  Tuesday was to be fried chicken special day, so after the holidays I was anxious to go back for it.  Finally went back this past Tuesday (the15th, Jan) about 6:30.  Was told there was no fried chicken and there were no more "specials" days.  We were the only ones inside, one person sitting at a table outside (brr), so one would think service would be fairly attentive----NOT!  I feel bad about trashing the place because it is in a beautiful indoor space with a nice outdoor dining area.  But the food we did get was not good, and neither was the service.  She had a "large" salad---had hardly any lettuce or greens, I had the ribeye med rare---grey, chewy, not juicy, with over-steamed broccoli (one side) and "mixed" vegetables, which turned out to be sliced carrots (second side).  I do hope things turn around for them, but I won't be back until I hear a few good reviews.

They do appear to frequently change their minds. They sure didn't have deep-fried chicken on the menu when I was there just before Xmas. That was a surprise. Guess they couldn't get it right, so better not to offer it.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived