Chapala.com Webboard

Social Security Direct Deposit to Mexican Banks As Of January 1, 2019

More Liana

Amigos, I have a problem and so does a friend of mine. I wonder if anyone in this group has the same problem.

Neither a friend nor I received our Social Security direct deposits to the Mexican bank we both coincidentally use. He called that Mexican bank today and was told that as of January 1, 2019, all Social Security recipients are required to have an RFC number on their Social Security deposits or those deposits will not be processed in to Mexican banks.  Apparently the Bank of Mexico has made this new rule and no one has notified us individuals.

Are there people here who have their SS deposits made electronically to their Mexican banks? Has anyone else heard of or experienced this situation as of January 1? Does anyone know what to do about it--as in to whom we are supposed to give our RFC numbers?

I'm feeling kind of desperate. Ideas or suggestions?  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Willie said:

Mine arrived to the bank here this month with no problems but I think when I set it up about 20 yrs ago, that I have them my RFC  at that time.

My Mexican bank has always had my RFC.  

15 hours ago, Heem said:

Is an RFC currently required to open a new account?

Yes.  You need one for just about everything now.  It is pretty easy to do it online if you have a CURP #.  https://www.gob.mx/tramites. You can search on this board for more directions and suggestions about RFC numbers.

13 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Excuse me, is it true that SS will send you an Are You Still Alive questionnaire every so often if you're using a foreign bank?

This form isn't generated because you have a foreign bank.  All recipients of SS receive one.  We get the form every year around June. 

2 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Yes.  You need one for just about everything now.  It is pretty easy to do it online if you have a CURP #.  https://www.gob.mx/tramites. You can search on this board for more directions and suggestions about RFC numbers.

This form isn't generated because you have a foreign bank.  All recipients of SS receive one.  We get the form every year around June. 

I think you get one if your address is outside the US.  We have a Laredo address and have never received one.

6 hours ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Excuse me, is it true that SS will send you an Are You Still Alive questionnaire every so often if you're using a foreign bank?

No, it's sent once a year in June, if you have a foreign home address.  The questionnaire isn't sent to recipients who live in the USA.  

RickS, you live in the USA, you would not receive the letter.  

On 1/5/2019 at 10:44 AM, Wookie said:

We received ours no problem.  Looked on our statement and there is a RFC# shown.  This must have been done when we opened the account several years ago but I don't remember it.

The RFC is on my Mexican bank statement.

More, yes I have the exact same problem with Banca Mifel. I asked them to show me the Banxico regulation. They told me that information is not available to the public.  I do not believe them because all Banxico regulations are published in the Diario Oficial de la Federation.

The Federal Benefits Unit at the US Embassy is totally uncooperative. They will not schedule an appointment for me. 

I am unable to find anyone to help me.  The same thing will happen with my February benefit payment.

7 minutes ago, Mario said:

What is an RFC number?

The shortest answer is, it is a tax ID number. See: http://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-exchange/crs-implementation-and-assistance/tax-identification-numbers/Mexico-TIN.pdf

On 1/5/2019 at 1:01 AM, More Liana said:
Amigos, I have a problem and so does a friend of mine. I wonder if anyone in this group has the same problem.

Neither a friend nor I received our Social Security direct deposits to the Mexican bank we both coincidentally use. He called that Mexican bank today and was told that as of January 1, 2019, all Social Security recipients are required to have an RFC number on their Social Security deposits or those deposits will not be processed in to Mexican banks.  Apparently the Bank of Mexico has made this new rule and no one has notified us individuals.

Are there people here who have their SS deposits made electronically to their Mexican banks? Has anyone else heard of or experienced this situation as of January 1? Does anyone know what to do about it--as in to whom we are supposed to give our RFC numbers?

I'm feeling kind of desperate. Ideas or suggestions?  Thanks.

Did you send in the form with the info SS wants, such as have you married, have a job, etc? If that isn't sent to SS your check won't be sent. You can email the SS section at the consulate to have it emailed to you and you can email it back. Your check will be deposited about 2 days later.

On 1/16/2019 at 1:35 AM, Joco said:

Did you send in the form with the info SS wants, such as have you married, have a job, etc? If that isn't sent to SS your check won't be sent. You can email the SS section at the consulate to have it emailed to you and you can email it back. Your check will be deposited about 2 days later.

Yes, I sent the form back to them as requested, in early June.  In October they notified me that they had not received it and requested that I send it and a copy of my passport to them via an emailed scan.  I did that immediately.  No response to my inquiries about whether they had received it.  They sent me another request for it in late November.  I have sent them in total four sets of my documents.  Finally on January 7th, they responded "Thank you for sending the forms."  The deposit still has not been made, despite several requests on my part that they take care of it.  The US Embassy in Mexico City will not let anybody in the door without an appointment, and the FBU has not responded to my requests for an appointment.  I have asked my senator to intervene; her office has called the FBU at the Embassy, but without response. 

Do you have any more suggestions?  I can use all the help I can get.

And by the way, the friend on whose behalf I originally posted has also not received his SS deposit.  His bank DID receive it, but sent it back because his RFC number was not included in the information on the deposit.  Bank of Mexico, which receives our SS $$ and deposits it to our banks, has no such requirement.  My friend is now working with CONDUSEF to insist that his bank receive his deposit.  So although he and I thought our SS/bank problems were the same, they are not.

6 hours ago, Tiny said:

Email.  Responding to the string of emails every time, as they instruct.  

They finally called me this morning--twice, two different people.  They said that had I not kept after them, my February deposit would never have been made.  They apologized profusely for their lack of attention, they took some new information from me (unrelated to the standard form), and told me that my January deposit would be in my bank in two weeks or less, followed on the 3rd by my February deposit. 

I believe that my senator is directly responsible for this turn-about and I am more grateful than you can imagine.  Unless something unforeseen goes wrong with the deposit, this is the end of the story.  Thank god--it was a big scare.

14 hours ago, Tiny said:

I never had much luck using e-mail with the GDL consulate. 

The US Embassy in Mexico City insists that one use email.  This whole thing started way back in June 2018 when they emailed ME for some information.  I guess the rules at the Embassy are different from the rules at the GDL consulate.  i'm just glad my situation appears to be resolved.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:00 AM, More Liana said:

Yes, I sent the form back to them as requested, in early June.  In October they notified me that they had not received it and requested that I send it and a copy of my passport to them via an emailed scan.  I did that immediately.  No response to my inquiries about whether they had received it.  They sent me another request for it in late November.  I have sent them in total four sets of my documents.  Finally on January 7th, they responded "Thank you for sending the forms."  The deposit still has not been made, despite several requests on my part that they take care of it.  The US Embassy in Mexico City will not let anybody in the door without an appointment, and the FBU has not responded to my requests for an appointment.  I have asked my senator to intervene; her office has called the FBU at the Embassy, but without response. 

Do you have any more suggestions?  I can use all the help I can get.

And by the way, the friend on whose behalf I originally posted has also not received his SS deposit.  His bank DID receive it, but sent it back because his RFC number was not included in the information on the deposit.  Bank of Mexico, which receives our SS $$ and deposits it to our banks, has no such requirement.  My friend is now working with CONDUSEF to insist that his bank receive his deposit.  So although he and I thought our SS/bank problems were the same, they are not.

Contact the SS division in the Guadalajara consulate.  Fill out the forms again and email it. I will message you the forms. I cannot upload them here.

fbu.guadalajara@ssa.gov'

I can't send the form by PM either. If you have it already filled out can you scan it and email it?

6 minutes ago, Joco said:

Contact the SS division in the Guadalajara consulate.  Fill out the forms again and email it. I will message you the forms. I cannot upload them here.

fbu.guadalajara@ssa.gov'

I can't send the form by PM either. If you have it already filled out can you scan it and email it?

This terse reply from the FBU may help anyone communicating with them.

"For us to give you the best possible attention, please make sure you write your social security number in the body of the email and not on the attachments. Thank you for contacting the Federal Benefits Office in the Guadalajara American Consulate."

Archived