Chapala.com Webboard

Car wreck

Marlayne

Our car was in a very bad accident in Guadalajara a few days ago. We were not in it. Both front seat airbags deployed. We saw photos and the front end and side are smashed pretty bad. It was towed to the body shop at a dealer in Guadalajara where damage will be appraised. Not sure if it will be totaled, we have not been told by our insurance company yet. Are there professional mechanics or people here with the expertise to inspect a car on our behalf to make sure that the appraisal and the work are done correctly and that we're not being taken? 

Sorry that happened to you....

I don't have an answer about a 'mechanic' for you but do have what may be a surprise for you.... if my information is correct:  Do not expect 'full value' for your totaled vehicle as one might in the US. It is my understanding that you will get less-than total value even though one thought they had full coverage.  Would be nice if, after all the dust settles, you would either confirm or correct my information... along with your Insurance company's name.

P.S.  Maybe contact S&S Auto in Riberas to see if they could help you with your appraisal check.

16 hours ago, Marlayne said:

Our car was in a very bad accident in Guadalajara a few days ago. We were not in it. Both front seat airbags deployed. We saw photos and the front end and side are smashed pretty bad. It was towed to the body shop at a dealer in Guadalajara where damage will be appraised. Not sure if it will be totaled, we have not been told by our insurance company yet. Are there professional mechanics or people here with the expertise to inspect a car on our behalf to make sure that the appraisal and the work are done correctly and that we're not being taken? 

If you want to make sure the work is correct and have a company that will stand behind it, take it to the dealer in Guadalajara. IF Ford take to Ford dealer. They can get the correct parts and either have a body shop or have a relationship with one. I would not have said that in the USA, but the labor rates here are reasonable and about 1/3 of what they are in the states or Canada.

I have had my Expedition at Jimenez Ford on Gonzalas Gallo for some work involving removing the dashboard to access the part. I'm favorably impressed with them the two times I've used them. But if it is a Chevy or Nissan or Toyota do the same as I did.

their email: recepcion9@jimenezautomotriz.com

18 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

The labor rates maybe reasonable compared to the NOB dealers,....But you will need tobe prepared for a shock when compared to local rates for a "standard" service..maybe its the  "free" bottle of water that drives up the pricing

Yes, that's why I need to bring in a knowledgeable consultant with me to get a second opinion.If you know of one, I would be appreciative. 

23 hours ago, RickS said:

I don't have an answer about a 'mechanic' for you but do have what may be a surprise for you.... if my information is correct:  Do not expect 'full value' for your totaled vehicle as one might in the US. It is my understanding that you will get less-than total value even though one thought they had full coverage.  Would be nice if, after all the dust settles, you would either confirm or correct my information... along with your Insurance company's name.

P.S.  Maybe contact S&S Auto in Riberas to see if they could help you with your appraisal check.

Yes, that's why I need to bring in a knowledgeable consultant with me to get a second opinion. If you know of one, I would be appreciative. 

21 hours ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Tow truck drivers get a nice commission leaving wrecks with their friends at body shops.   In my case the car was parked there and other body shop appraisers had the right to go there to appraise the damage.  If being over-charged is not a problem for you don't bother with it.

Mechanics:  In my native country mechanics are certified by taking classes and passing exams,  National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE).  

The big problem with mechanics here are three-fold: there is no certification nor accountability; usually the shop's owners are fit to be mechanics but they don't like to work much anymore and leave the work to novices often with no supervision; there's a big difference between mechanics and parts-changers.  In the First World you'll find parts changers, this is for their own protection.  Actually fixing a part, say fuel ejectors, is time consuming and the guarantee is on you, the mechanic.  Where as a defective part can be returned to the parts house.

If you've ever seen vids of Havana with all those cars from the 40s, 50s, 60 still churning you'll know those folks are mechanics, new parts were blockaded long ago.  

Here's a common trick I saw over and over in TJ where a lot of Americans go for upholstery work (and of course dental and reconstructive surgery😂).  They'd rip out the seats and stand them, stripped, in the corner till they get around to redoing them.  That way if you get tired of waiting you'll be discouraged to put it all back together and take it somewhere else.

AND, if you're relying on the other guy's insurance to pay, don't expect much.  In my case the damage to my car was 16,000mxn.  After two weeks of hand to hand combat I accepted a check for 4000.  In our countries business norms and practices are based in Judio/Christian beliefs .. sell for less and sell to many.  Round here people don't go into business unless they can make a killing (Aborotes and the like are exceptions).

AND, being a Gringo is a huge disadvantage if saving money is a priority.  If you move your car to another body shop I'd suggest you have one of your Mexican friends take it there. 

Good Luck!

Thank you very much, I am looking for a Mexican friend who know about cars. None of mine do, so if anything comes to mind that you can share, I would be most appreciative. 

23 hours ago, RickS said:

Yes, that's why I need to bring in a knowledgeable consultant with me to get a second opinion. S&S does not have that kind of mechanical expertise. If you know of one, I would be appreciative. 

1 minute ago, Marlayne said:

Yes, that's why I need to bring in a knowledgeable consultant with me to get a second opinion. S&S are not mechanics. If you know of one, I would be appreciative. 

Yes, I am aware that S&S are not mechanics BUT because they have been around here for a loooong time and are in the car business, they 'may' know of someone who might be of assistance to you. It was just a thought but not a guarantee.

Good luck.

I just went to visit my local mechanic and body shop. It was filled with expensive vehicles, in various stages of repair. The Manager is Luis, and the head mechanic is Pepe. Luis speaks perfect English, Pepe speaks a little English, but I quite surprused him and my self by speaking mostly Spanish. They have an excellent reputation and have always exceeded my expectations. They are excellent at sourcing out used components and making them new again (say - all the parts left over if your vehicle is "totalled". Of course they always tell you this if this is what want. Factory/dealership parts ar 3 to 5 times more expensive than recovered parts, especially if you drive a popular vehicle.

Their phone number, land line is Luis 765-3618. Pepe has a cell, but he seldom answers it because he is too busy.

See, now, Chillin gave a good answer. All the other answers, in particular one that shows a continuing massive distrust of everything Mexican, were supremely negative and scary. The comments are, in fact, true, but unnecessary for public viewing. My recommendation would be that those of you who answer like that: Private Message the person. Save your malaperts.

46 minutes ago, jonnyintrouble said:

Thanks for your recommendation, mom!

"Massive distrust" Oh yeah, I stayed here for 38 years because I hate the people .. oh, wait, I'm wanted by the DEA, a  ... um .. er, no,  it's those damn alimony payments.  Yeah, back alimony, that's the ticket.  

Oh, you want us to believe you stayed here out of some kind of altruism? You think listing your decades of service to Mexico fools us? You stayed cause you ain't got enough money to go noplace else, bub. Das a fac. That's doesn't mean you can't still hate and distrust Mexicans, which you clearly do.

I guess it hasn't dawned on you yet that nobody here actually cares a whit what springs from your trolling fingertips, so like they say: if you ain't got nothin' good to say, keep yer trap shut. Y'all.

If the car has major damage as you described don't have the repairs done lakeside, there just aren't any shops with the proper equipment to put the car back together the way it should be done. Unless the car has serious sentimental value, better to have it totaled and collect enough $ to buy another car. I see so many vehicles here that were repaired poorly, some look like they are driving down the road sideways. Frame repair machines are expensive and rare here unfortunately.

Archived