Chapala.com Webboard

Firefox Problem

Alfa

11 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

When was the last time the system (OS and apps) was reinstalled? If more than 2 years you should consider calling The Computer Guy for a rebuild. Windows has a tendency to collect crap over time; spyware, etc. Disk fragmentation may be an issue too.

What an unusual idea. I have been using Windows since 3.1 and never needed to rebuild Windows. Reboot, yes, Occasionally unplug and take the battery out. But rebuild Windows???

With this site, Firefox was not the problem. I have been unable to load chapala.com for about a month, and often unable to reply or start a new topic for even longer.  Suddenly, today, it has seemingly returned to normal.  I hope it lasts.  I even contacted Invision, and they did not care, blaming it on the user of the software; Chapala Realty's webmaster. 

11 hours ago, MtnMama said:

What an unusual idea. I have been using Windows since 3.1 and never needed to rebuild Windows. Reboot, yes, Occasionally unplug and take the battery out. But rebuild Windows???

An unusual idea? To you, perhaps, but my 25 years as an IT professional says otherwise.

Unusual in that 99% of Windows users will not have had Windows reinstalled. But it can put ‘new life’ into a ‘sluggish’ system. 

I’ll also tell you something that, from personal experience, will REALLY add new life to your PC/laptop.... replace your physical hard drive (a mechanical device) with a solid state (electronic) hard drive. You will believe that you just purchased a new high-powered computer. I did this last summer when my older Windows7, upgraded to Windows 10, laptop was so slow in booting up etc that I was contemplating having to purchase a new one. Making that exchange made ALL the difference in the world! The drive I bought was about US$65 and an IT friend backed up my old hard drive, replaced the hard drive with the new solid state drive, reloaded everything to that drive and reloaded Windows 10. BOOM!  Supersonic speed. 

SSDs, solid state drives,  make such a difference. Everything is so much faster. Startup takes less than a minute. And all of this is in a Dell 13.3 inch, 1080p laptop that I bought a year ago from Costco, on sale for only $649.99 in Seattle.

SSDs used to be so expensive, but not any more.

49 minutes ago, johanson said:

SSDs, solid state drives,  make such a difference. Everything is so much faster. Startup takes less than a minute. And all of this is in a Dell 13.3 inch, 1080p laptop that I bought a year ago from Costco, on sale for only $649.99 in Seattle.

SSDs used to be so expensive, but not any more.

New computers tend to be faster.  HAHAHAHAHA

I started to get that problem with Firefox a few weeks ago -- twice in a few days -- and it went away on its own. It came back this week for another two days and now it's gone.

It tells me that the problem comes from Firefox. I did not experience that problem with Google.

On 12/26/2018 at 10:49 AM, RickS said:

Unusual in that 99% of Windows users will not have had Windows reinstalled. But it can put ‘new life’ into a ‘sluggish’ system. 

I’ll also tell you something that, from personal experience, will REALLY add new life to your PC/laptop.... replace your physical hard drive (a mechanical device) with a solid state (electronic) hard drive. You will believe that you just purchased a new high-powered computer. I did this last summer when my older Windows7, upgraded to Windows 10, laptop was so slow in booting up etc that I was contemplating having to purchase a new one. Making that exchange made ALL the difference in the world! The drive I bought was about US$65 and an IT friend backed up my old hard drive, replaced the hard drive with the new solid state drive, reloaded everything to that drive and reloaded Windows 10. BOOM!  Supersonic speed.

I'm glad you are getting great speed now, but the fact is that the simple act of reinstalling Windows would have done wonders for the speed, too. SSD notwithstanding.

7 hours ago, bonbon said:

I started to get that problem with Firefox a few weeks ago -- twice in a few days -- and it went away on its own. It came back this week for another two days and now it's gone.

It tells me that the problem comes from Firefox. I did not experience that problem with Google.

We don't even know why Firefox was stalling for the OP, so you can't truly say you had the same problem. Further, the point I made was that if Microsoft programs weren't working at the same time, something else was going on that had nothing to do with Firefox. That's like saying "my car speedometer isn't working; that must be why the trunk won't open".

Apples IIe to iMacs since 1984 and never had to call Mike; or anyone else.  Bought a 21" iMac from Hall in 2011 and a 27" directly from Apple, in the USA, in 2018. Now, we each have our own in our separate 'offices'.  Never a problem!  :P

On 12/28/2018 at 8:31 AM, ComputerGuy said:

We don't even know why Firefox was stalling for the OP, so you can't truly say you had the same problem. Further, the point I made was that if Microsoft programs weren't working at the same time, something else was going on that had nothing to do with Firefox. That's like saying "my car speedometer isn't working; that must be why the trunk won't open".

Well, when someone writes here that he has problems with Firefox at the same time as I have, then I assumed we had the same problem.

Of course, if it had been specified what Firefox was doing, it would be clearer. My explanation was not clear either.

Now, I will be specific: my problem was gone for three days and, again now, it acts up. The window says: Firefox is already running but is not responding. The old firefox process must be close to open a new window.  

I did not do anything different. So, I closed everything, but it says the same thing. I have to use Google.

41 minutes ago, bonbon said:

Well, when someone writes here that he has problems with Firefox at the same time as I have, then I assumed we had the same problem.

Of course, if it had been specified what Firefox was doing, it would be clearer. My explanation was not clear either.

Now, I will be specific: my problem was gone for three days and, again now, it acts up. The window says: Firefox is already running but is not responding. The old firefox process must be close to open a new window.  

I did not do anything different. So, I closed everything, but it says the same thing. I have to use Google.

It sounds like a background service. Did you restart your PC?

Archived