Chapala.com Webboard

M and J Pizza

artsnob

22 hours ago, jrod said:

Yes, they are hoping to be open by Friday, Dec. 28. Only thing is that it will be pick-up and delivery ONLY...no eat-in. Same telephone number to place an order.

Well, at least we won't have to worry about those uncomfortable high tables and bar stools to sit on!  

There are probably as many opinions of what's a good pizza as there are pizza eaters, but here's one:

Went to the new location yesterday afternoon and ordered a take out mushroom and olive one.  Parking nearby was no problem. The tall tables are still there.  The pizza was burned on the bottom; there was little sauce and not nearly enough cheese.  Flavor?  I had to add quite a bit of Italian mixed sprinkle to help it out.  Very disappointing.  IMO, the Purple Garlic Brothers or Jitomate are much better.  YMMV.

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Our last experience with them when still on 16 de Septiembre did not impress.  Seem to be another case of starting out great and going down fast local restaurant syndrome.  Seem Gringal is confirming this.

It happened that I hadn't tried them before at either previous location, so I had no basis for comparison.  All I know is this experience.  Pizza making is not advanced culinary skill: it's about quality ingredients and getting it done without burning it.  This pizza just didn't make the grade for me.  If I hear high praise from others over the next weeks, I might give it another shot. Meanwhile, there are other choices.  😉

4 minutes ago, Tiny said:

At too many pizza places, not enough attention is given to the sauce.

Amen to that!  Some places don't seem to have heard the word "garlic" let alone all the other things that should be in a good sauce.  There should be at least a little aroma emanating from the finished product. The true test of a good pizza is when no flavorful meats are on it and it can stand on its own without them.  I add my own pepperoni when I can find the imported one from Italy.

22 minutes ago, gringal said:

The true test of a good pizza is when no flavorful meats are on it and it can stand on its own without them.

And a good sauce is when all you need is some bread to dip into it. 

Archived