Chapala.com Webboard

Forewarning for Tomorrow Morning

Just a friendly warning.  Tomorrow is the 12th of December which is the Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe.  For those unfamiliar with this day, it means its time to look for those ear plugs and an extra sleeping pill perhaps.  I don't know how it goes in Ajijic, but in Chapala, explosions and rockets will begin at 6 am usually, they are extremely loud and may last over an hour or longer.  So be forewarned.  Lots of parties are going on tonight for the Patroness of México.  Have a blessed day tomorrow, folks!

Just out of curiosity, what is the point, logic, rationale of bombs and church bells and a band going off at five in the morning? I think the church is behind it somehow but why? I get the part they want to wake everybody up but then what? I know it is a feast day but should i be participating or just looking for cover. And where can i get some of those bombs myself? If you can't beat them, join them?  

the procession usually starts at 6:30 am and 6 p.m. I know a woman who walks the procession in her bare feet because the virgin gave her a son. The cohetes are to wake up the village to go to mass after the procession. The extra ones are macho, which barrio has the most to spend.

The church doesn't directly have anything to do with it. In fact the bishop has directed the parishes to minimize them, but, they seem to be ignoring him.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Rupert said:

I wish we had moved to Chapala Haciendas.

Why?  Hopefully not because you think it quiet.  We live in Brisas de Chapala and it is VERY loud here.  Just because we are out of town does not mean we are out of range for hearing the cohetes etc.

19 minutes ago, Floradude said:

I do not care for myself but I do care for my chihuahua, and I suffer for him.

I hear ya. My girls are pretty good about the noise. But, last night, cohetes were being shot off from the roof of the house being constructed next door. They were NOT happy.

2 hours ago, crynoutloud said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the point, logic, rationale of bombs and church bells and a band going off at five in the morning? I think the church is behind it somehow but why? I get the part they want to wake everybody up but then what? I know it is a feast day but should i be participating or just looking for cover. And where can i get some of those bombs myself? If you can't beat them, join them?  

I found the following in an article in MEXCONNECT:

Launching of cohetes, homemade skyrockets, is a tradition in Mexico going back centuries when the noise was considered to scare away the devil and vanish all evil. Today they are often used simply for amusement. They are used, and sometimes abused, for every festival, funeral and public gathering in San Cristobal. Barrios endeavor to outdo each other in the number of cohetes and bombas (enormous firecrackers) they explode at their annual festival.

I do not think the cohetes are as bad as they used to be..It was not bad today..Spain has the same tradition so I would blame Spain.. I think that in the time where bells were expensive and the religion got started , fire power was good to impress the indigenous and scare them as well wake up everyone to go to church before going to work. The sound of cohetes carries further than that of the bells. T Chinese New Year is also very bad.. a month of daily cohetes  along with the drum for the dragon extorting money from business is enough to drive anyone nuts. We lived above Chinatown in San Francisco and the cohetes lasted a month and the last week people seem to be using all the unused fireworks and the lasts nights were a nightmare

I think that those noise makers are some of the dumbest way to celebrate anything,,,

1 hour ago, ibarra said:

I found the following in an article in MEXCONNECT:

Launching of cohetes, homemade skyrockets, is a tradition in Mexico going back centuries when the noise was considered to scare away the devil and vanish all evil. Today they are often used simply for amusement. They are used, and sometimes abused, for every festival, funeral and public gathering in San Cristobal. Barrios endeavor to outdo each other in the number of cohetes and bombas (enormous firecrackers) they explode at their annual festival.

Cohetes are not home made, with all due respect to Mexconnect.  They are made by coheteros; in San Lucas Evangelista, many of the men dedicate themselves to their fabrication--and to the fabrication of castillos.  San Lucas is near Cajititlán; you could drive over there and see how cohetes and castillos are made.  I did, and thought it was truly fascinating.  I learned a lot.
https://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2018/09/fireworks-in-san-lucas-evangelista-jalisco-castillos-en-el-aire-.html

Some of you have mentioned how quiet is was this morning. I agree there have been fewer cohetes being fired off this year, at least in my neighborhood in upper Ajijic. However today was the exception, I was awakened at 3:10 AM by the cohetes. Oh well, apparently tomorrow there be no cohetes and just maybe, if true, I will get a full night of sleep. :)  I sure hope so.

I have posted this before. The premise of this show is that Ricky Gervais and another comedian, send well meaning simpleton, Karl Pilkington, around the world and then record his numerous gaffes. This one in Mexico, starts on fireworks about 3:28, Pilkington says the cohetero only has one eye, he respects that the man makes a living, but "he is just not the right man for the job". Then he goes into a blind panic when the fireworks begin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UITdbJJhdM

Bear in mind, Karl Pilkington caught his girlfriend's toaster on fire trying to cook bacon in it.

Archived