Chapala.com Webboard

Wooden rods?

DeborahM

If used properly.... meaning that the sliding door cannot be opened but a few inches against the dowel for ventilation (or your pet!).... a 1” wooden dowel is perfectly strong enough as no real force can be exerted upon it in such a short distance of travel.  I’ve used the same one for 20 years and it is as strong as ever. 

21 hours ago, Ferret said:

RickS, are you using a wooden dowel in termite territory?

I don’t live in termite country.....😎  but your point is well taken.  Others I know in Ajijic use wood. It’s not that hard to check them annually. I’m not advocating wood over metal.... just saying wood will/has worked well for me and friends. 

On 12/7/2018 at 11:06 PM, Ferret said:

RickS, are you using a wooden dowel in termite territory?

Unless the dowels were never moved and were a permanent fixture I see no reason to worry about termites.

• 2 months later...
On 12/7/2018 at 9:45 AM, DeborahM said:

Looking for a business anywhere lakeside to have some wooden rods cut to size for a little more security for sliding patio doors. Any advice appreciated! 

How about an old mop handle?

20 minutes ago, DeborahM said:

Thinking about those, but they're so expensive! I have ten sets of floor-to-ceiling sliding patio doors to secure. Siiigh.  Sometimes I think of just bricking them all up! 😉

There is a cheap option, screws. Install a couple of screws into the top of the opening. Screw them in just enough so the sliding door passes by and the door can not be lifted up..

15 minutes ago, DeborahM said:

Thinking about those, but they're so expensive! I have ten sets of floor-to-ceiling sliding patio doors to secure. Siiigh.  Sometimes I think of just bricking them all up! 😉

Debora, I have used 1/2" and 3/4" PVC water pipe for 12 years to good effect the plumbing shop will cut to your measurement.

Archived