Chapala.com Webboard

PURPLE GARLIC PIZZA BROTHERS

Carnivore

Truly and honestly believe that this wonderful pizzeria could and should be recognized as a more than welcome member (long lasting) of the Ajijic restaurant community. Great pizza, great honest ingredients, great location, abundant parking for anyone who can walk regardless of how slow, great owners and staff and solid, solid value!
However, the introduction of totally useless live entertainment, usually too loud during dining hours (6 - 9) works against any hope of being recognized as a restaurant where friends can meet, eat and enjoy and, importantly, have conversation, without the type of music we experienced last Wednesday night when a performer who sounded "loudly" like a dog in distress destroyed not only the music of Gordon Lightfoot but definitely other well loved musicians who couldn't possibly be recognized. In addition, our guests, newly introduced simply said: "As long as they have this "noise", as much as we love the pizza, the drinks and the service...we'll never return! That's terribly sad as we know the owners are working hard but....hopefully as we're now entering the season when there are a lot of returning hungry expats.....they will take a different direction. I'm absolutely sure that there are others who will agree with what's written in this post!

The pizza is great, but the parking is the pitts.  When the delivery service group stopped, that created a problem.  Anyone know of another way to get that pizza delivered?

The music situation described above compounded my wish to enjoy the pizza AWAY from the restaurant.   🙄

Traitte does delivery for Purple. https://traitte.ordering.co/search/type/delivery/address/Av de la Ribera 176, Riberas del Pilar, Ajijic, Jalisco, Mexico

I have to acknowledge your comment on parking: absolutely the pits. Not sure what the OP is referring to. Also, "long standing"? Hardly. Although it seems every pizza place in the last couple of years is comprised of former cooks at Perry's.

Concerning the entertainment, for a long time everyone seemed to go through this. It pretty much ruined Salvadore's... his followers dispersed and never really returned. Dinner music is supposed to be an accompaniment, not a show.

• Like 1

My response on Facebook to this same OP --

Hi Cam! Thank you for your compliments, and in regards to the Wednesday entertainment, they have been let go. We let them play through the dates we had agreed on, but knew we would not be keeping them on the entertainment schedule. Our only other regular live music is on Mondays, at 6pm, and it is a lovely jazz trio called The Groovy Roosters. Great musicians, no singing, easy to talk with your table still, people do like them and come specifically for them! I cant remember if you have been here on a Monday night while they have played, but I assure you they are a much better atmosphere. I am sorry your friends had to have their first experience here on that night, but please bring them back for dinner...we will have a bottle of wine waiting for you, on the house! See you soon!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gringal said:

The pizza is great, but the parking is the pitts.  When the delivery service group stopped, that created a problem.  Anyone know of another way to get that pizza delivered?

The music situation described above compounded my wish to enjoy the pizza AWAY from the restaurant.   🙄

Traitte does deliver for us, and now with Lakeside gone, we are working towards finding a personal delivery driver or saving up for a moped/motorcycle to deliver. For now use Traitte and hang tight!!

Live Music is always a tight rope for a restaurant. I don't want to hijack this post but we were at one of our favorite restaurants last night that offers live music on Saturdays. The owner noticed a lot of his guest were requesting tables seated "as far from the band as possible". He got it and this week when we went I noticed the band was playing soft romantic music that made it pleasant and easy to talk and then later in the evening moved into more dance-able songs. I was impressed.  BTW  LOVE Purple Garlic Bro....what a great addition to lakeside food scene

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 12/7/2018 at 8:35 PM, Purple Garlic Pizza Bros said:

Traitte does deliver for us, and now with Lakeside gone, we are working towards finding a personal delivery driver or saving up for a moped/motorcycle to deliver. For now use Traitte and hang tight!!

how is  the search for a delivery vehicle going.?   A pizza place, no matter how good the pizza, without delivery seems an unlikely recipe for success.   As of yesterday this place still doesn’t address this issue as a concern so it’s not a winner in my book!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Cartero said:

how is  the search for a delivery vehicle going.?   A pizza place, no matter how good the pizza, without delivery seems an unlikely recipe for success.   As of yesterday this place still doesn’t address this issue as a concern so it’s not a winner in my book!

Our delivery charge was 80 pesos. Once bitten twice shy. No more thanks.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

There's a new family delivery pizzeria in Riberas, by Telecable. Haven't tried it yet, but for those of us who live around here, it might be worthwhile. 765-4178. "Nostra Pizza".

I hope the pizza is at least half as good as it looks on the flyer that was left in my mailbox.

3 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Why are they closed in the mid afternoon? We’ve gone by several different days and they’re not open. 

...maybe more likely to get an accurate answer if actually ask them, not a bunch of random strangers on a web board...... 

• Thanks 1

We went in last night, Friday, at 7.  Music so loud we could not hear the waiter.  Asked for mule drink, nope. Asked for 3 different beers, Nope.  Asked for Ice Tea, Nope.  Finally asked for what he could bring us.  A Equis light and a Corona.  No label on the Corona which generally means its been in the cooler for ages.   Then he started to tell me what wasn't available on the menu we were done.   There were 4 of us.  Music still too loud after asking it to be dialed down a bit.  Other couple we knew came and decided to get their pizza to go. Because of the music.   So 6 people, figure 250-350 pesos spending each left.  That's a big hit in the register.  We left and went to Tango.  Drove by after dinner. 6 people in the place, band still cranking it out loudly.  You would think an owner present under those circumstances would adjust the band a bit.  No drinks tells me the finances are hurting.  Otherwise if you missed a delivery a 6 pack of each beer on your menu isn't hard to manage.  Who knows with the mule drinks.  But no ice tea is inexcusable - it is flavored water. We definitely won't be back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The owner reads these comments, or used to. Nothing from him lately, though. He is not shy in hitting back when he disagrees. I complained about his surcharge for to-go boxes. It's pizza, and a pizza place generally has two things: pizza and boxes. He nailed me on that, and not in a pleasant way. They don't charge extra for the box via delivery, but then at 80p for delivery I guess it's built in.

He even replied on this very thread about keeping the music level down.

So often the owner gets a place going and takes off, and everything goes to hell. Random hours, no inventory for the menu, no drinks, are the first signs of impending failure (after changing cooks once too often) of any local place. And of course their prices have always been pretty darn high for... pizza.

I was just going to post about deciding last night to not stay because of the extremely loud live music but I see others already commented about that.  We were told the music would end at 9:00 but we were not going to wait about 1 1/2 hours for that.  This would have been my first visit to Purple Garlic and I was driven away by extremely loud music.  I do not understand the decision to have such loud music during prime dining hours.  We went to M&J instead.  

• 1 month later...
On 4/30/2019 at 5:48 PM, SoxFan said:

I hope the pizza is at least half as good as it looks on the flyer that was left in my mailbox.

Quite a disappointment. Two blocks from my house in Riberas; had to call back to remind them I was still waiting; tasted awful. (Delivered on a  paper plate covered with foil.) Cheap, though. You get what you pay for?

• Confused 1