Chapala.com Webboard

EXPIRED TEMPORARY RESIDENT VISA

marmorado

I discovered to my horror that I was 4 days late for renewing my temporary resident Visa. I rushed to immigration in Chapala and was told that all I could do was either return to the US A and start all over again or go through a very lengthy paper process in Mexico. The woman at immigration suggested I go back to the States as it would be easier.

I really cannot go back to the States for a number of personal reasons, including that someone I care about very much really needs my help right now.

I have read through all of the information on this topic and cannot locate an answer to the following questions:

Has anyone been through this situation recently and, if so, how did you resolve it?

Is working with a lawyer to get one's Visa back on track expensive? If so how expensive?

If one goes for the return to the United States option, how long would it take at a local consulate to file for a resolution of this problem?

What is the punishment if a person is caught with an expired Visa? Does this lead to deportation, incarceration, a fine, and or the inability to leave Mexico and then return at some point in the future?

Before I see a lawyer for help, I want to be as informed as possible 

Thanks for any information you can provide.

I did this.  I thought I was 15 days early, and instead I was 15 days late for renewing the visa -- I had messed up the month.  This was 3 years ago, and while at first the people at INM thought they might fix it locally, that didn't work and I ended up having to go to Laredo to start the process over again.

If you're an American, I would plan on a trip to the border sometime soon.  Don't know how it works for people from other countries. 

Since your visa has expired, you are now here illegally.  But in reality that means little -- unless you have official contact with immigration authorities.  So if I were you I would try not to attract official attention and plan for a trip to the border when it is convenient for you.  The people in Laredo are nice and efficient.  I think they now require appointments, but if your papers are in order I think they still can issue the temporal the same day as your appointment (if not, it'll happen the next day).

I don't see how a lawyer will be able to help you with this (I mean, avoiding a trip to the border.)

I would check immediately with Chapala attorney Spencer McMullen (Chapala Law) at (376)765-7553 or (376)765-6900. If anyone knows if you have alternatives it will be he.  Asking that question of him will certainly not be expensive; getting a cure if there is one won’t be as expensive as your alternative of going to Laredo and starting all over. This will NOT be the first time this has happened in his experience!

Spencer Posts here as Intercasa but I would not wait for him to ‘see’ your Post and react.

Good Luck

We can see whether you would qualify for a regularization or have to fly or drive to a consulate.

Archived