Chapala.com Webboard

German Car Mechanic: BMW, Mercedes, Audi

southland

Looking into buying a used German car, perhaps BMW or Mercedes, even Audi.

It will be an older vehicle, possibly a model prior to 2010.

Besides agencies in Guadalajara, does anyone know a private operator mechanic shop that works on German cars?

(I'm trying to lower the labor side of repair costs, and also get to know a mechanic personally to learn how to take care of a German car. I'd like

to visit the shop prior to making the purchase so I know what owning the car might be like.)

Thank you. (I already know the decision to buy German comes with higher maintenance and repair costs.)

There is no any specific maintenance procedures as to German cars as far as I recall.
I had driven German cars, and had maintained my racing cars by myself for years. I am not a professional mechanic but
do have a mechanic licence (engines).

I guess you just find some good experienced mechanics who will do good jobs.

Well VWs are German cars and there are a boat-load of them in Mexico. Yes, I know that a VW is not a BMW or Mercedes , but I suspect that ‘parts’ would be a bigger problem than finding a mechanic that would know/could learn how to take care of one. 

At least VW's are built here in Mexico , there are plenty of dealerships and parts are available. . I don't think there is anyone lakeside qualified to work on a relatively recent German car. I would be scared to own one myself. I think the dealership is probably the only place to properly service one.

I have recommended this mechanic and shop before. The one on the lateral past Soriana. The ace mechanic that works there - Pepe 331-142- 9622 - often doesn't answer his phone, because he is working on vehicles. The manager, or partner, Luis speaks excellent English, landline 765-3618. On their business card they have badges for many German automobiles, and I have seen them working on at least two Mercedes. He tunes my 25 year old Japanese turbo diesel very well, more difficult because many of the engine parts are labeled in Kanji script! I know he sources used vehicles as well, but I do not know what he charges for that. Very nice people and I have found them to be trustworthy and very affordable.

• 11 months later...

Well I can suggest one place that you may want to avoid based on my experience.  Sometime last March my Mercedes 500ML developed a coolant leak.  Assuming it was the plastic reservoir I visited Car City and it was replaced.  Once it was home there was still leaking so I went back for an assessment.  I was told that the water pump was weak and not performing as it should -- that was replaced.   Still no change so I took it back again to be told after assessment that the seal was spit on one of the blocks.  Needless to say I was shocked to see the motor torn apart and strewn in various areas around and in the vehicle.  I was determined to have it repaired so I paid in advance for the work to be done.   It is now May and the gasket was still on order and we needed to leave to return to Canada.   The car stayed there until late October when we returned.   We picked up the car and drove about 1 km before the check coolant warning light came on.     (Over the period it is clear the battery had not been disconnected as I had asked so it was replaced by someone else ,, obviously , within the next week.)

Returned the car for a day and picked it up having been told the thermostat was not opening properly but it was all fixed now.  No coolant leak but what did appear was an oil leak that seemed minimal so I let it go.  We drove into Guadalajara one day and at the toll booth on the return the check engine light came on.  Once home I added 2 liters of oil and returned to Car City.   They were going to make an assessment and let me know the cost.  I said no they are not, they are going to fix it because it was on them.  A day later I had two calls saying the leak was fixed but the car was immovable because the power steering pump needed replacement.  The reason for this was that there is a loose ball joint that wasn`t replaced and this caused stress on the pump. (Oh really)    I went to see it and once again everything was apart so that it was pretty clear the leak was`t repaired.  I made it clear that there was now chance that they would be repairing the pump and ball joint even though I was offered a discounted price of $ 11,000 pesos.  Later that day I took over a friend who is a shade tree mechanic and he and he assured me there was nothing wrong with the pump.  Because it `wasn`t driveable  I told them I would arrange to have it towed into Guadalajara.    Well you may have guessed it by now but I did drive it home with no steering problem but you may also have guessed that the oil is still leaking.  I am sure this is a one off experience so I won`t discourage you from

Try Pepe again. If he is too busy, there is another master mechanic in Ixhaulacan. He cannot gaurantee overnight vehicle security on the street, but he has the most ingenius set of tools I have ever seen (Germans love their special tools, sort of a mechomafia) He can fabricate anything, that is his problem, he thinks everybody who sees him wants a fabrication to save money. Hoping their rust bucket will get them to work for another year. My custom clutch lasted two years, then I replaced it with a factory original, which was about three times more than what he charged me for the "francoclutch".

Hope this helps.

I came back to the thread today Nov 29, 2019 and see some updates.

Sincere THANKS for all the information. I am still in the hunt for a higher end USED German vehicle,

although I have a nice VW Golf Sportwagen (40-45 mpg), but it is has a different, more practical purpose (long distances,

and going shopping. It has more cubic feet than a Ford Escape, believe it or not. The Golf is in the Classifieds.

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2018 at 11:21 AM, CHILLIN said:

I have recommended this mechanic and shop before. The one on the lateral past Soriana. The ace mechanic that works there - Pepe 331-142- 9622 - often doesn't answer his phone, because he is working on vehicles. The manager, or partner, Luis speaks excellent English, landline 765-3618. On their business card they have badges for many German automobiles, and I have seen them working on at least two Mercedes. He tunes my 25 year old Japanese turbo diesel very well, more difficult because many of the engine parts are labeled in Kanji script! I know he sources used vehicles as well, but I do not know what he charges for that. Very nice people and I have found them to be trustworthy and very affordable.

I wonder if you could be a little more specific as to the exact location on the highway out of Chapala past Soriana.  I am assuming he is on the lake side.  Is there any sign for this place.  I have called both numbers mentioned above; the cell number does not ring and the other number does not seem to be the one for Luis.  Or when you say "the one on the lateral past Soriana" do you mean the lateral road which would be going from Soriana into the town of Chapala, or the other way?  We looked going on the highway towards the bypass to Ajijic, but could not see any place that looked like an auto repair shop, i.e. no signage.  Would appreciate any further comments or please call me at 331-382-4771.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

It is the same side as Soriana. Remember 376 in front of land lines now. Visually, it is a large garage right next door to another excellent business, signed "Mofleres Radiatores".

Thank you.  We will take a look tomorrow.  Now we know it is on same side as Soriana, but before