Chapala.com Webboard

Toilet Paper for Septic Tank use

lakeside7

9 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I used to buy a  user friendly paper from Walmart, but that seems to have disappeared from the shelf ..any other recommended source 

I have never seen a septic tank here. Much more common is a cisterna. That is a 5-6 meters deep cylinder of brick with no septic field but with no bottom poured in the tank. The bottom meter or so is made of staggered bricks that allow seepage out the side as well as the bottom. 

We finally found the septic tank in our 60 year old house. After digging multiple holes trying to guess where clay pipes were headed, we hired a guy with a camera. We have a 6ft diameter round concrete floor tank with a separation wall. The pipe enters the first chamber, then overflows into the second half which then has a pipe to a much larger dirt floor "tank" which should only be liquids by this stage.  

The "solids" tank was completely sealed, no way to pump it clean, but we are adding an access shaft with lid for the future if needed

BTW, the municipal water office has a septic cleaning service, they charged $1600 pesos

1 hour ago, geeser said:

I have never seen a septic tank here. Much more common is a cisterna. That is a 5-6 meters deep cylinder of brick with no septic field but with no bottom poured in the tank. The bottom meter or so is made of staggered bricks that allow seepage out the side as well as the bottom. 

You are correct..I was using the term figuratively..mine is similar to the one you described 

With the standard mexican septic tank the RidX or yeast will still work but you will have to renew it more often due to the loss of water at the bottom and sides.  Also use of bleach and like products will kill the bacteria.

I have a pre-digester tank (looks like a tinako, but has 4"intake and outflow pipes, witha filter inside, then that (liquids only) flows into the type of dirt floor, block with spaces walls drain field described above, which is 1 1/2 meters wide, deep and long. I use regular toilet paper, occasional minimal use of bleach, as well as muriatic acid once in awhile to deal with the mineral build-up in the toilets. I have never had to add yeast,  or anything else and 11 years later has never needed to be pumped out. The trick is, only the 2 toilets and one shower go into the septic- all other grey water runs out to the gardens. The less water that goes into the septic, the better it works.

6 hours ago, ea93105 said:

We finally found the septic tank in our 60 year old house. After digging multiple holes trying to guess where clay pipes were headed, we hired a guy with a camera. We have a 6ft diameter round concrete floor tank with a separation wall. The pipe enters the first chamber, then overflows into the second half which then has a pipe to a much larger dirt floor "tank" which should only be liquids by this stage.  

The "solids" tank was completely sealed, no way to pump it clean, but we are adding an access shaft with lid for the future if needed

BTW, the municipal water office has a septic cleaning service, they charged $1600 pesos

Do you mean Simapa will clean a septic tank for $1600?  Do you just go to the Simapa office to schedule that service?

I used to buy a  user friendly paper from Walmart, but that seems to have disappeared from the shelf ..any other recommended source 

Costco's house brand is supposed to be that kind.

The Costco brand toilet paper is known by many RV'ers (motor homes/trailer trailers) as a product that breaks down very quickly, and therefore, doesn't cause any blockage in their small, portable, waste tanks, or during the draining thereof.  Many other brands of paper do not break down quickly.

A simple test is to put a bit of any toilet paper in to a container with water, close the lid and shake.  With thicker papers, your arms may get tired before the paper begins to break up.  The thin, nearly flimsy Costco paper will be breaking up within a few shakes.

With RV's, the problems are somewhat different, but what RV owners have learned is a testimony of one of the products characteristics, which is also a big plus for home waste systems.

We had septic tanks in the US and never used special paper...we did put yeast down.. We had the septic tank after 10 years when we sold the house. We also had a cabin on the same property with a short leach line and that septic was not functioning as well and we had t cleaned something like twice in 10 years..

Archived