Chapala.com Webboard

How many retirees return to their home countries?

Tecolote

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Tiny said:

My comments were for the ones that were making general statements/assumptions about the health care here. 

Too bad you and others had a bad experience by picking the wrong doctor/hospital/clinic.

Yep, totally OUR fault for picking the wrong doctor/hospital. We will try to do better like you next time, ok? Will try to be more like you.That make you happier?

1 hour ago, Tiny said:

My comments were for the ones that were making general statements/assumptions about the health care here. 

Too bad you and others had a bad experience by picking the wrong doctor/hospital/clinic.

My mother and I would never have been kicked out the health care system in Canada due to pre-existing conditions. In this case, high blood pressure, thanks to a fanatical head in Chapala who hated gringos. My mother would never have been offered multiple surgeries at costs of up to $12,000 for a spinal operation to prevent her being crippled within two years... a situation that never happened over the course of 10 years. I doubt that my friend would have been misdiagnosed with the same stomach problem over and over for years and years. I doubt that an individual internist would have mis-prescribed the wrong medication for another problem, causing me great pain.

On the other hand, I've had lots of luck with a variety of doctors and labs here. No one is blanket-condemning Mexican medicine. But "picking the wrong doctor"? Tiny, show me your list of approved practitioners.

2 hours ago, Hud said:

Those of us who go NOB for health care actually go there because in our own experiences here in Mexico, the health care WE receive NOB has been MUCH better than WE have received here in Mexico. Can you please not "put us down" because of our experiences? You are welcome to your doctors and health care, why can't you respectfully allow that for us without "putting us down"?

In our case it is simpler than that.  We did not opt out of Medicare and carry full supplemental insurance as well.  A side benefit of that insurance is that it will reimburse emergency procedures here, something we have used twice.   If we have time to schedule, we will return to the U.S. and use our insurance.  If not, we go to GDL.

Our experience is that the quality of health care received in both countries is variable internally.  We've had so so experiences in New Mexico and really excellent experiences in Texas.  We had one situation here where a local cardiologist totally misdiagnosed a heart drug side effect he should have known about and ordered exactly the wrong treatment.  Luckily the error was corrected quickly but there was some damage and more care was required than if it had been gotten right the first time.

One hospital here was pretty dismal in our experience, Bernadette, and one was really excellent, Country 2000.  A very bad ruptured appendix here was handled very well and quite quickly indeed beginning with our local GP, the GDL surgeon and the hospital Country 2000.

My brother basically lives on social security in California and receives top notch health care under Medicaid at no cost.  He laughs about how the medical system manages to keep him running.  He will have a hip replacement soon, again at no cost to him.  He has more lives than both our cats combined!

A lot of the problem of health care in the U.S. is due to the simple fact a very large part of the population simply makes unhealthy choices and a lot of them.  It is very easy to see Canadians, for example, take better care of themselves as do many Europeans and Brits.  Obesity is the #1 cause of a bunch of health problems and frankly, a lot of Americans are fat as pigs these days.  Considered to be the fattest in the world by some measures.  

I think Mexico demonstrates both the good side and bad side of largely unregulated medical care.  One does have to be very careful about choosing doctors and hospitals but when you get it right, they are very good indeed.  There is real competition between hospitals and medical services in the larger cities.  

It appears to me Mexico are attempting to construct a system of public health care for the less well off combined with largely free market health care for those who can afford it.  We will see how that plays out.  In my view it is a promising approach.

As I said, my wife and I rely on the considerable experiences of friends, family and ourselves.  That experience has been almost universally very good.  My parents would have lived a lot longer if the quality and technology of health care we enjoy had been there when they needed it.  We are both extremely grateful to live in a time that has enabled us, with active work on our parts as well, to live well into our seventies in pretty darned good health.

Also and unfortunately as we age we are all getting more experienced in these matters than we would choose to be.  I plan on dying before I reach the level of experience at which one should write a book about it.   :)

42 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

My mother and I would never have been kicked out the health care system in Canada due to pre-existing conditions.

And I don't have that problem in the US either. Coverage for pre-existing conditions are a problem in a lot of the parts of the world.  

48 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I doubt that my friend would have been misdiagnosed with the same stomach problem over and over for years and years. I doubt that an individual internist would have mis-prescribed the wrong medication for another problem, causing me great pain.

So you are saying that misdiagnosing and wrong prescribing does not happen in Canada?

53 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

No one is blanket-condemning Mexican medicine. But "picking the wrong doctor"?

Let's agree to disagree on the point. 

54 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Tiny, show me your list of approved practitioners.

I will have to get them from my wife. Since I do not schedule the appointments, I do not have their full information. Anyway, unless you have IMSS coverage, you would not have access to the GP.  I will get it as soon as I can about the GP and cardiologist.

43 minutes ago, Tiny said:

And I don't have that problem in the US either. Coverage for pre-existing conditions are a problem in a lot of the parts of the world.  It was blood pressure and it was an attack by an administrator of a huge system.

So you are saying that misdiagnosing and wrong prescribing does not happen in Canada? Not like it does here, no way, no how. Besides, the point isn't how did what to who: it's answering the question of why do some people prefer to go "back home" for treatment.

Let's agree to disagree on the point. We don't have any idea if the doctor is wrong before we pick him/her, so I think your point is moot.

I will have to get them from my wife. Since I do not schedule the appointments, I do not have their full information. Anyway, unless you have IMSS coverage, you would not have access to the GP.  I will get it as soon as I can about the GP and cardiologist. Wait: you want to give me your approved list? No, that's okay for now, many thanks.

7 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:
50 minutes ago, Tiny said:

Wait: you want to give me your approved list? No, that's okay for now, many thanks.

I did not want to bother her at church for information. I didn't know you were so impatient. 

Here in Mexico if I get sick an hour later I can be talking to a doctor and he might charge me $5.  Ten minutes later I have filled a script and I am on the road to being well.  In the states I tried to find a family doctor for my wife and the average wait time was a month.  This is why so many people use the hospital emergency rooms.   True some doctors had short wait times but you have to wonder why. I have blue cross blue shield insurance in the states which will pay for medical procedures in Mexico but so far I have never used it.  I have been very happy with my Mexican doctors and from what I have heard about Guadalajara doctors I think they can handle any situation.

29 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

Here in Mexico if I get sick an hour later I can be talking to a doctor and he might charge me $5.  Ten minutes later I have filled a script and I am on the road to being well.  In the states I tried to find a family doctor for my wife and the average wait time was a month.  This is why so many people use the hospital emergency rooms.   True some doctors had short wait times but you have to wonder why. I have blue cross blue shield insurance in the states which will pay for medical procedures in Mexico but so far I have never used it.  I have been very happy with my Mexican doctors and from what I have heard about Guadalajara doctors I think they can handle any situation.

Many people seem to have good experiences in different places and some have bad experiences in those same places. No one can say the health care is better in one place as opposed to another for everyone. They can respectfully express what has happened to them and what their personal choices are. Those who choose health care here are never chastised by members of this forum, yet when someone here decides that,for them, the better services are provided elsewhere, that brings out the "bullies" and the "proof" that health care here is much better than the other person's choice. That is sad, no? What can't we just be respectful of another's choices, even though they may be completely opposite from our own. We have no need to try to shame people into being just like us, or do we?

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:
3 hours ago, Tiny said:

Wait: you want to give me your approved list? No, that's okay for now, many thanks.

The GP at IMSS is Dr. Cristina Navarro Sandoval. The cardiologist is Dr Saturnino Delgadilio Perez. Both in GDL.

10 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

Many people seem to have good experiences in different places and some have bad experiences in those same places. No one can say the health care is better in one place as opposed to another for everyone. They can respectfully express what has happened to them and what their personal choices are. Those who choose health care here are never chastised by members of this forum, yet when someone here decides that,for them, the better services are provided elsewhere, that brings out the "bullies" and the "proof" that health care here is much better than the other person's choice. That is sad, no? What can't we just be respectful of another's choices, even though they may be completely opposite from our own. We have no need to try to shame people into being just like us, or do we?

I think you may be over-reacting to posts that suggest U.S. health care may not the best in the world, contradicting a cherished belief held by some people. That falls far short of any definition of "bullying" or "chastising".  You've made your choice of where you wish to go, and that is your right.  However, it has been my observation that in this forum, the heaviest negatives have referred to Mexican health care without evidence to back them up.  When a poster is called on regarding such claims, there is no response.  In some ways, the health care opinions are as strongly held and as passionate as personal politics.  That's downright scary !🙃

6 hours ago, gringal said:

I think you may be over-reacting to posts that suggest U.S. health care may not the best in the world, contradicting a cherished belief held by some people. 

I doubt that, as I can only speak to where the best health care that we have received has been. BTW, that is all you can do either, no? So, it seems a moot point trying to tell others where they will receive the best health care for them, as only they can make that determination, no?

3 hours ago, HookEmHorns said:

I doubt that, as I can only speak to where the best health care that we have received has been. BTW, that is all you can do either, no? So, it seems a moot point trying to tell others where they will receive the best health care for them, as only they can make that determination, no?

What is this really about?

There is a big difference between providing information and "telling others" to do or not do something.  There is information available which you may dismiss, but which I felt should be made available to anyone who may have questions in their mind about why the most costly medical care on the planet is not also rated No.1 in quality delivered, according to some serious researchers. Since you have no questions in your mind, what's the problem? Are you suggesting that I shouldn't have the right to speak out on the subject?   Hmmm. 

I will not detail the horror story I experienced in U.S. due to misdiagnoses and mistreatment,  but just as you are convinced of where you want to get your treatment as a result of your positive experiences in the U.S., I am influenced by the negative ones I had there.

I have had good experiences in Mexico so far. That doesn't mean it will always be the case for me or anyone else.  Meanwhile, I will continue to look for the best information available re doctors and hospitals before placing my body in any of their hands.

Each to his/her own.

I live in a condo zoning of 14 homes, in a frac. Have lived here five or six years. At one time, there were five people living here into their mid 90's, still living in the houses that they always have done. Their numbers have now decreased, but many people here, seem quite comfortable with the concept of dieing in place. Maybe it is a wartime generation thing.

33 minutes ago, gringal said:

All I have to do to get health care in the U.S. is to travel there.  I have Medicare and can re-up Part B (at a price) or pay out of pocket, with no problem. I have all the options available to a person with pre-existing conditions; one of which is the end result of treatment received in the U.S.A.

I have not been trying to tell anyone what to do, but there is information available which you may dismiss, but which I felt should be made available to anyone who may have questions in their mind about why the most costly medical care on the planet is not No.1 in quality delivered. (If I wanted the one rated top of the line by most surveys,  I would go to Switzerland.) Since you have no questions in your mind, how about ending this ridiculous exchange which serves no purpose?

I will not detail the horror story I experienced in U.S. due to misdiagnoses and mis-treatment,  but just as you are convinced of where you want to get your treatment as a result of your positive experiences in the U.S., I am influenced by the negative ones I had there. I have had very good experiences in Mexico so far. That doesn't mean it will always be the case for me or anyone else.  Meanwhile, I will continue to look for the best information available re doctors and hospitals before placing my body in any of their hands.

Each to his/her own. Peace.

There you go Again, you rant about where the best and cheapest health care is.For us, the best care and the least expensive we have received is not where you suggest it is. There have been posters here that have expressed the same thing that I say.  But, as I will point out once again to you, each person has a right to make their own decision and they are capable of doing that without your condemnation or help, unless they ask for it. Try to understand. What your experiences are, are not the same as for everyone else. Can you understand that? There is absolutely no point in trying to convince others that they are making a mistake in their selection of health care locations. Geez !

3 minutes ago, HookEmHorns said:

There you go Again, you rant about where the best and cheapest health care is.

There you go again, she isn't ranting nor talking about the best and cheapest. Too much Fox got ya foggy?

10 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

There you go again, she isn't ranting nor talking about the best and cheapest. Too much Fox got ya foggy?

Maybe that red hat with the four letters on it is overheating her brain. I'm done, though.  Enough misinterpretation is ENOUGH.🙃

49 minutes ago, gringal said:

Maybe that red hat with the four letters on it is overheating her brain. I'm done, though.  Enough misinterpretation is ENOUGH.🙃

"She" is a he. You meant the red baseball cap with four words on it. ☺️

18 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

🇺🇸
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt!" 🇺🇸

Couldn't you be original, at the least?  That old saw has a long white beard and serves as the "all purpose" generic insult.  And, if a poster wants his/her gender known, it helps to state it.

Sadly, it seems this thread has wandered into utterly useless sniping territory.    Mercy?

Archived