Chapala.com Webboard

where to take my Toyota?

Earl

I have a 2009 Toyota with 57000 km on it, and the check engine light has come on for the third time.  Both previous times I took it to local (here and in Manzanillo) non-Toyota mechanics who put it on their little hand-held diagnostic machines, said everything checked out fine, and that they think it was just the sensor.  I want to sell the car so want to make sure that all is okay with it.  Do I need to take it to a Toyota dealer in Guad so that they can check it out officially and perhaps set that engine light so that it does not come on again until the next maintenance is due?  Is there more than one Toyota dealer?  If so, which do you recommend?  Anyone have experience with Dalton's service dept?  Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Unless the cap is damaged, or the threads on the tank neck access, then it is more likely an unevenly-secured gas cap, allowing air into the tank, which triggers the "check engine" light. l see it happen most often after getting gas at a station.

When my wife gets gas in her Lexus, she never tightens the cap fully.... she thinks she is but not.  That sooner or later will set the check engine light and throws a code. I go out and tighten it, reset the engine lite and all is well.... until I let her fill it again.  😟

I went to Escalera today.  Carlos was wonderful.  The light came on because of a fuse.  Simple fix.  He also told me not to let anyone steam clean the engine because it could damage the sensor.  Thank you all for the help, and I'll note gas cap issues.  Good info!

Archived