Chapala.com Webboard

Now I've Seen it All...........

Guiness

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:46 AM, gringal said:

What is interesting is that the fact that there is a  law on the matter is being ignored and the issue is being debated in this thread as though there were no law at all and it is simply a personal choice.  More than one poster has ridiculed the idea of anyone objecting to dogs being anywhere and everywhere. (Restaurants want that profitable gringo patronage, so they put up with the "entitled" ones.)  True allergies with very nasty symptoms (very real to those who suffer from them) are being compared to perfume and aftershave objections.    What does this say about the discussion/argument?  Plenty, in fact.  The many times this has been hashed and re-hashed on this board have gone .....nowhere at all.

Maybe we should return to discussing politics, or something. (Beating a dead horse emoji)

As someone in the medical field, allergies to strong perfume can cause a very serious reaction. Many times the person cannot smell it. Like a smoker often cannot smell cigarettes

until they stop smoking

4 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

As someone in the medical field, allergies to strong perfume can cause a very serious reaction. Many times the person cannot smell it. Like a smoker often cannot smell cigarettes

until they stop smoking

The women splasing on an ounce of perfume many times is because they can't smell how very strong it smells to others in range of her. I always thought it was because she hasn't bathed in a couple of weeks or so. The same with men with an ounce of colonge slashed on themselves. Very offensive  bad habit. IMO

I thought I'd say something here, since I am an offender who takes his 'wannabe' service dog with him everywhere. You may have seen me at some outdoor restaurants on my mobility scooter with my Jack Russell. I had a JR as a service dog for 14 years but she died in 2016. She pulled my socks off (can't reach my feet) fetched the remote or phone if dropped, picked up anything dropped not too big, gathered my laundry, helped empty the dryer, dug my keys out of the snow several times, went and knocked the phone off the cradle and brought it to me twice when I broke my hip and kept me company. She lay at my feet in restaurants and on long airline flights. I trained her myself.

I picked up my present dog at 4 months in New York on my way to Florida in my (wheelchair lift equipped) motorhome. My plan was to train her while in Florida before coming here. Fate altered that when my friend back in Canada died suddenly, meaning having to fly back to settle his affairs. I had to arrange for another friend to fly down to accompany me back (can't fly alone, except Alaska Air) and thank goodness the airline allowed the pup. I did take her in a carrier. All of this plus a loud truck here in Ajijic (for some strange reason) has  set back her training but admittedly she is still quite hyper at 17 months.

Despite this she will pick up some items and jumps on a chair to get her harness on. She helps with this process. She has a wild side which we are working on. She sometimes screeches at other dogs and dashes out the door of our new house given half a chance. She did learn to ride up the wheelchair lift with me at 4 months and knows how to ride it on her own.

So that some of you can see what many service dogs are about I'll post a link to a tribute video I made for my last Dori. It is long so you might fast forward parts. 

Tim, I appreciate you wanting to defend your service dogs. Just hope you understand that none of this discussion is about actual service dogs but rather people gaming the system because they simply want their dogs with them. Also, talking about entitled people with no consideration for others bringing untrained, ill behaved dogs into restaurants and other public spaces. 

[Ontario Today with Rita Celli | Weekdays at 12 | CBC News] is good,have a look at it! https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ontario-today-rita-celli-1.3665586

Our guest's rabbit, Thumper, wears a vest identifying it as a 'service animal.' That & a doctor's note allow her to take the rabbit almost anywhere to help her manage anxiety. You can hear how she's trained the rabbit to help her, coming up on Ontario Today.

On 11/18/2018 at 8:45 AM, johanson said:

All I know is that I have had a pet since a little kid. Here in Mexico, I have three rescue dogs and 3 rescue cats. And they stay at home because some people would be offended if I took my favorite dog with me. I guess all that talk about the terrible diseases I might catch from them doesn't worry me.  Would I like a dog licking my face or wound while I had surgery or my teeth being cleaned?  Hell no. But if a person truly needs a service dog,, s/he should be allowed to do so if doing so would not be dangerous. The trouble is, that I know too many people who get their dog declared a service dog just because it was and perhaps still is easy to do. And only do it for selfish reasons not true phycological reasons.

I didn't know it was easy to declare your dog a service dog. My friend had one and the cost was about 20,000 USD form a very reputable organization. Do airlines let a service dog on if there is no proof that it is a trained service dog?

On 11/20/2018 at 12:04 PM, Ferret said:

Yeah, it's kinda like bangin' your head against a brick wall. I actually don't care one way or another. But, I also consider being served a meal at a table to be "full service" so, imho, the entire establishment is a service area. The food court at the Laguna Mall is not full service. YMMV.

It may not be full service but the 2nd day we arrived here we went there to eat and just happened to step in dog excrement which was under our table. Haven't been back to that food court .

14 hours ago, timjwilson said:

I thought I'd say something here, since I am an offender who takes his 'wannabe' service dog with him everywhere. You may have seen me at some outdoor restaurants on my mobility scooter with my Jack Russell. I had a JR as a service dog for 14 years but she died in 2016. She pulled my socks off (can't reach my feet) fetched the remote or phone if dropped, picked up anything dropped not too big, gathered my laundry, helped empty the dryer, dug my keys out of the snow several times, went and knocked the phone off the cradle and brought it to me twice when I broke my hip and kept me company. She lay at my feet in restaurants and on long airline flights. I trained her myself.

I picked up my present dog at 4 months in New York on my way to Florida in my (wheelchair lift equipped) motorhome. My plan was to train her while in Florida before coming here. Fate altered that when my friend back in Canada died suddenly, meaning having to fly back to settle his affairs. I had to arrange for another friend to fly down to accompany me back (can't fly alone, except Alaska Air) and thank goodness the airline allowed the pup. I did take her in a carrier. All of this plus a loud truck here in Ajijic (for some strange reason) has  set back her training but admittedly she is still quite hyper at 17 months.

Despite this she will pick up some items and jumps on a chair to get her harness on. She helps with this process. She has a wild side which we are working on. She sometimes screeches at other dogs and dashes out the door of our new house given half a chance. She did learn to ride up the wheelchair lift with me at 4 months and knows how to ride it on her own.

So that some of you can see what many service dogs are about I'll post a link to a tribute video I made for my last Dori. It is long so you might fast forward parts. 

What a blessing you had with Dory in your life. I'm so sorry for your loss.

On 11/22/2018 at 4:24 AM, AlanMexicali said:

The women splasing on an ounce of perfume many times is because they can't smell how very strong it smells to others in range of her. I always thought it was because she hasn't bathed in a couple of weeks or so. The same with men with an ounce of colonge slashed on themselves. Very offensive  bad habit. IMO

Reminds me of that joke boys used to love back in elementary school-  "Why do girls wear make-up and perfume? Because they're ugly and they smell bad."

A stroll around a Mexican zocolo on a Saturday night- you could choke on the men's perfume. They load it on way more than the women do.

Archived