Chapala.com Webboard

Now I've Seen it All...........

Guiness

Yesterday I had to go to my dentist for a scheduled dental surgery.  I arrived 10 minutes early and was the only one in the waiting room.  A few minutes later, a woman came out from one of the patient treatment rooms WITH HER DOG ON A LEASH!  I was shocked and quickly asked the receptionist, "Did that lady just come out from having a dental procedure with her dog in there with her?  I was told Yes that the woman was nervous with dental proceedures and the dog helped relax her.!!   I wasted no time in letting the receptionist know my displeasure.  I then proceeded into the treatment room and addressed this directly  with Dr. Candy.  She told me - "We always disinfect after each patient."  I  will be looking for a new dentist.  I love dogs as much as the next person but not in what should be a sterile environment.  Now I believe I've seen it all.  This one took the cake after 8 years here permanently!!  FYI .

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Guiness said:

Yesterday I had to go to my dentist for a scheduled dental surgery.  I arrived 10 minutes early and was the only one in the waiting room.  A few minutes later, a woman came out from one of the patient treatment rooms WITH HER DOG ON A LEASH!  I was shocked and quickly asked the receptionist, "Did that lady just come out from having a dental procedure with her dog in there with her?  I was told Yes that the woman was nervous with dental proceedures and the dog helped relax her.!!   I wasted no time in letting the receptionist know my displeasure.  I then proceeded into the treatment room and addressed this directly  with Dr. Candy.  She told me - "We always disinfect after each patient."  I  will be looking for a new dentist.  I love dogs as much as the next person but not in what should be a sterile environment.  Now I believe I've seen it all.  This one took the cake after 8 years here permanently!!  FYI .

If you think this is a problem how about sitting next to a passenger on a plane who has brought on her "anxiety/service" pet ...not sure where this situation is going to end , the flight attendants are caught between a rock and hard place

In my humble opinion i think the OP is way overreacting. First, if this lady is so attached to her dog it probably is bathed and cared for better than some humans. I happen to have two adopted "street dogs" who sleep at the bottom of my bed every night and I am as healthy as a horse. All this hysteria about dogs in restaurants, aircraft or wherever is blown way out of proportion. Millions of dogs live and interact with people all over the world and I have seen no research or evidence of dogs transmitting anything to humans except unrequited love. Maybe in a medical situation there should be some caution but she was told "We always disinfect after each patient." I happen to be a longtime patient of Dr.Candy and have had nothing but positive experiences even under some difficult circumstances. I take her at her word and know that she, as a caring medical profesional, was trying to do the best she could for a harried patient. I think that dogs sometimes get a bad rap. 

I have given up on this subject.  It is virtually impossible to go in any restaurant in the Lake Chapala area and not find some one there with their pero.  What makes it worse is they are usually hand feeding the pero from their plate.  I have made my views known on the subject and a few weeks ago I had a new side walk poured.  When I went to check how it had dried I found someone had walked their pero down the middle of it.. I wish some restaurants would post signs that no peros were allowed.  I would certainly frequent them.  

4 hours ago, Guiness said:

So would you have felt the same way if that had been a seeing-eye dog?  As others have said, I think that you overreacted to the situation.

35 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Bla, bla, bla..You are more likely to get many life threatening conditions from a bad buffet or salad at your local restaurant then a simple everyday interaction with a dog.  

So true.

I think we have been conditioned into being afraid of bacteria.  Certainly a pet doesn't belong in the operating room, but the rest, I think, is nothing to be worried about.  Service dogs accompany their handlers everywhere after all.  The dog is probably not licking the dental instruments.....

People sometimes have terrible habits which spread their problems to others.  One of the worst offenders , IMHO, is sneezing in your hands.  Guinness, ask yourself if you do this.  Right after that, do you touch everything as if nothing has happened?  This is way worse than having a pet on the floor in a dental office.

For a while I worked for the Hospital Corporation of America and their were signs through the facility that stated you should cough in your elbow.  Excellent habit to develop, one which I have adopted.

2 hours ago, rafterbr said:

I have given up on this subject.  It is virtually impossible to go in any restaurant in the Lake Chapala area and not find some one there with their pero.  What makes it worse is they are usually hand feeding the pero from their plate.  I have made my views known on the subject and a few weeks ago I had a new side walk poured.  When I went to check how it had dried I found someone had walked their pero down the middle of it.. I wish some restaurants would post signs that no peros were allowed.  I would certainly frequent them.  

FYI

Pero= but

Perro = dog

Anxiety is a real physiological condition. It can be debilitation. And a service dog can make a huge difference. When I was NOB I attended several seminars on Service Dogs and they are quite amazing. Before you make up your mind, take a few minutes to learn more about the condition and the dogs.

9 hours ago, gringohombre said:

What happened to that huge long rant posted by that McTavich (?) guy to this subject? I responded to him and then it disappeared  making my response irreverent. How can a post simply go away? 

He must have deleted it. Maybe you could delete part of yours so it makes more sense.

Sure, I’ll step in the hornets’ nest.

This anxiety “service” dog charade has gone on long enough. How many people do you believe absolutely can not go out in public without a dog with them vs how many spoiled, entitled people want to prove how very special they are by inflicting their untrained, pampered pooch on the rest of us? It is the latest gimmick to prove specialness. Dogs very much can help people feel more calm and secure in general. The number of people who can’t get their teeth cleaned without their dog in their lap is minuscule. Guiness has every right to not want a medical procedure done in a room just occupied by a dog. If a dentist wishes to indulge her patients’ quirks she would be wise to schedule them last and not have other patients coming in after. What if the next patient has a dog phobia or is allergic to them?  

All I know is that I have had a pet since a little kid. Here in Mexico, I have three rescue dogs and 3 rescue cats. And they stay at home because some people would be offended if I took my favorite dog with me. I guess all that talk about the terrible diseases I might catch from them doesn't worry me.  Would I like a dog licking my face or wound while I had surgery or my teeth being cleaned?  Hell no. But if a person truly needs a service dog,, s/he should be allowed to do so if doing so would not be dangerous. The trouble is, that I know too many people who get their dog declared a service dog just because it was and perhaps still is easy to do. And only do it for selfish reasons not true phycological reasons.

Before they banned pets at the Tuesday market, it was amazing how many people brought their dogs into that crowded environment. It made getting around more difficult than it already was.  Even after they banned them, some people got those phony "service dog" outfits and brought them in, anyway.  I guess the airlines finally drew the lines on what species could be a "service animal", since it was getting bizarre to the max.

As for sanitation issues, the question is: "would it be okay for humans without pants to sit down in medical offices or in restaurants?" 🙄😁

It's PEOPLE who are the problem.

If there is a law against dogs inside restaurants , people should not be bringing their dogs to the doctor or dentist..Foreigners here are taking advantage of the lenient laws but how many Mexicans do you see gong to the doctor or dentist with a pet.. Pleeze give us a break with the being nervous without your dog.. get a security blanket..

Yes it is part of the entitlement people feel today.. by the way if you are in Condessa or Roma you see plenty of young well to do young Mexicans with dogs on the terrasses of the restaurant so obviously Mexico is changing too or they have a whole lot of yo yo in those areas of the city...

Well I seem to recall reading an article about a year ago where they now have service dogs attend court when the case being tried is related to a child having to testify (and in most cases because of abuse). Apparently have a dog at their feet helps them overcome the anxiety involved.

I am still waiting to find out how a post can be deleted after the fact. My bla, bla, bla post above referred  to a now disappeared post by AngusMactavish citing numerous "studies" relating to dogs (and many other animals) transmitting disease to humans. Taking this to a more absurd level, how about banning humans from public places. After all, It was the Spaniards in the 16th century who wiped out millions of indigenous people (some studies say up to 80% of the population) during The Conquest of México by bringing their terrible infectious diseases here. I am more concerned by people sneezing and coughing and contaminated food in restaurants than innocent little dogs. If this is such a great concern to some, why not make a simple phone call to the facility you want to visit beforehand and ask "do you allow dogs?"

1 hour ago, gringal said:

I guess the airlines finally drew the lines on what species could be a "service animal", since it was getting bizarre to the max.

In early October, Alaska Airlines decided to allow miniature horses (trained as service animals) on flights. I am considering a therapy wolf.

29 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

I am still waiting to find out how a post can be deleted after the fact. My bla, bla, bla post above referred  to a now disappeared post by AngusMactavish citing numerous "studies" relating to dogs (and many other animals) transmitting disease to humans. Taking this to a more absurd level, how about banning humans from public places. After all, It was the Spaniards in the 16th century who wiped out millions of indigenous people (some studies say up to 80% of the population) during The Conquest of México by bringing their terrible infectious diseases here. I am more concerned by people sneezing and coughing and contaminated food in restaurants than innocent little dogs. If this is such a great concern to some, why not make a simple phone call to the facility you want to visit beforehand and ask "do you allow dogs?"

At the bottom of your post, there is a button for 'options'.  If you click on that, it shows a 'delete' button.  Hope this helps, gringohombre!

Archived