Chapala.com Webboard

Quinoa search

Arjay

I found white Quinoa in bulk on the Carretera next to Gossips but it was rather bland.

I'm looking for something more interesting and tasty like mixed or red quinoa.  I did find small pre-packaged quinoa in SuperLake but it was too expensive.  Does anyone know where I can find some, please?

2 hours ago, Arjay said:

I found white Quinoa in bulk on the Carretera next to Gossips but it was rather bland.

I'm looking for something more interesting and tasty like mixed or red quinoa.  I did find small pre-packaged quinoa in SuperLake but it was too expensive.  Does anyone know where I can find some, please?

We have purchased red and mixed quinoa and black quinoa on the way back from Costco at Fresko supermarket a few miles away. You will see it on the way back to the macrolibramiento on the right hand side.

7 hours ago, michael2595 said:

We have purchased red and mixed quinoa and black quinoa on the way back from Costco at Fresko supermarket a few miles away. You will see it on the way back to the macrolibramiento on the right hand side.

I have seen red ,white and black at the Granero lady by Gossips. Check back with her. 

Well you guys don't know how to cook quinoa.

Simmer it for about 20 minutes with chicken broth or consomme, and then add black ground pepper, a little salt and mixed herbs - and voila, you have a tasty nutritious side dish that you can have instead of potatoes or be added to salads.  Don't judge it by its appearance.

The manager (owner?) of El Granero will order what you want if she doesn't normally stock it. She goes to the Abastos in Guadalajara on Wednesdays (ask to make sure) and will buy for you what you need in the quantity that you want and will phone you when she's got it. I ordered yellow split peas to make French Canadian Pea Soup.

5 hours ago, Arjay said:

Well you guys don't know how to cook quinoa.

Simmer it for about 20 minutes with chicken broth or consomme, and then add black ground pepper, a little salt and mixed herbs - and voila, you have a tasty nutritious side dish that you can have instead of potatoes or be added to salads.  Don't judge it by its appearance.

Actually, it's much more than a side dish, or simply a substitute for potatoes or some other starch. It's a complete protein.

2 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Actually, it's much more than a side dish, or simply a substitute for potatoes or some other starch. It's a complete protein.

I used to eat barley and then read that quinoa was more healthy, so I switched over although I actually prefer the taste of barley.  But if you can find organic or mixed quinoa (red, black and white) it's actually pretty tasty as long as you prepare it properly.

• 6 months later...

I just cook it with a little salt in the water and use it instead of cold cereal in the morning.  I like the plain taste.  If I want to make a side dish, I add whatever spices or herbs when I reheat it in the microwave.  Or add it to soup, etc.

I used to buy spaghetti made with quinoa at El Torito.  The brand name was Hodgson Mill.  But, the manufacturer seemed to change over to spaghetti made with flax instead.  It's not nearly as tasty.  The thing I liked about the quinoa spaghetti was that it would cook in about half the time of regular spaghetti, and it definitely had much more flavor!  Has anyone seen this particular product in any of the other stores?