Chapala.com Webboard

Television options

Any recommendations on satellite services  that get US channels? Please include cost of service if possible.

We've had Telmex for over a year and use it to help with our Spanish but now looking for something with more English channel, ie: cnn, bbc, msnbc, network channels, etc.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations. 

Shaw Direct. Canadian satellite. Get an 800 series box, or a used 600 box, and get all those channels and a lot more. People are worried that because they are changing to a newer satellite, which we cannot get in Mexico, that all the channels will disappear. And they will, in a few years.

Note that it is not exactly legal, but it is not exactly illegal, either. Many, many, many people throughout the U.S. and Mexico use the service. You can get details (and warning, it is NOT cheap here for the initial setup) from Ajijic Satellites. Ask for Mike Merryman. 766-3371.

CG - what is the difference 'tween a 600 and an 800 series box?  I have two tv's, one with the 500 and the other a 600. Don't really need two tv's but I could put the older box on the less used tv.

And for those others - yes one number is higher and also costs more. DUH....

The 800 series boxes are replacing the 600 series boxes. The 500 series boxes are no longer capable of receiving much, if anything. But the 600s are fine because they are designed to take the current signals. The 800s are newer, but have no substantial changes that would require upgrading from a 600. You can find out yourself on shawdirect.ca.

We have Dish network via Ajijic Electronics, they usually have an add in the Guad Reporter.  We have subscribed for almost two years. Very clear signal, and I have only had three or four outages during the rainy season, and each lasted less than 10 minutes. We have a basic package which has all the major US networks (you pick what home region) and maybe 50 other channels, for about $79 USD per month. They also have some upgraded packages.

I pay $95 US a month for my Shaw reception. It is worth it to me as I get hundreds of channels. I mostly watch ones I have recorded on my 800 series receiver. It can handle 4 TVs if I have 4 receivers.

Many of us want to watch our home town stations and that is hard to do unless you are from Canada. Shaw Direct broadcasts most Canadian network Channels from many cities all across Canada They also offer the US network Channels from Seattle Spokane, Detroit and one from Chicago, Rochester and maybe a few I missed. And all of the signals from 2 of the 3 satellites reach into Mexico  (The US networks are broadcast from the satellites that blead into Mexico)

The trouble with US DISH and DirecTV is that yes they offer programming for many cities up north but in the form of spot beams with no blead over into Mexico. Luckily, both offer signals from all of the major networks from two or three cities like NY, LA and perhaps another that are broadcast all over the US and blead over into central Mexico.

Interestingly, you need a smaller satellite dish for the Canadian Shaw Direct provider than you do from the US  Dish or DirecTV.

And as Mike just posted above the Mexican Dish or Sky most likely do not broadcast any US networks.

They used to and perhaps still, however offer both the English language and Spanish Language CNN channels, but not MSNBC or FOX.

1 hour ago, cedros said:

I pay $95 US a month for my Shaw reception. It is worth it to me as I get hundreds of channels. I mostly watch ones I have recorded on my 800 series receiver. It can handle 4 TVs.

That price for someone on a basic pension is  expensive..I did nor realize that Shaw with all the bells and whistles cost that much...Thanks for sharing info

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

That price for someone on a basic pension is  expensive..I did nor realize that Shaw with all the bells and whistles cost that much...Thanks for sharing info

I could get it cheaper but I like to have a wide selection. I get all my entertainment there-I don't go to movies or such here. Shaw has a programming guide. I can watch one channel and record another or I can record two at once. More than what I want.

If you are happy with standard definition or maybe 720 hd depending on your internet speed, i can install free apps onto firestick or android box.min 4 mbps download speed.

Only disadvatage is no programme guide.

All us and uk mainstream sports,news.documentary , entertainment, channels available for free.

No registering. No payment.as legal as shaw.

Also missing coronation street ?

I can install on demand episodes  from uk and of course live three times a week.

BBC iplayer.

Pm me for details.not kodi.

Free demonstration.

5 hours ago, cedros said:

I pay $95 US a month for my Shaw reception. It is worth it to me as I get hundreds of channels. I mostly watch ones I have recorded on my 800 series receiver. It can handle 4 TVs.

Can each TV watch a different channel ? I thought each TV needs its own box and subscription with Shaw

I think cedros means that the Shaw Direct LNB that is mounted on your 75e Shaw Direct satellite dish has four outlets and one can connect up to 4 cables to the LNB and that each cable would feed a different satellite receiver. Oh the 830 receiver, the one that will let you watch one channel while recording another program uses 2 receivers at once and will need two of the four (RG-6 satellite) cables that connect to the satellite dish (to the LNB mounted on the front of the dish that looks at the dish)

15 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Can each TV watch a different channel ? I thought each TV needs its own box and subscription with Shaw

Yes each (4 maximum) TV can watch different channels if each TV has it's own box. The customer has the subscription not the TV. Under one subscription I have 4 satellite feeds so if I have 4 boxes 4 different TV channels can be watched on 4 TVs at the same time. So each TV needs it's own box but only 1 subscription is required. 

I'm guessing that perhaps a third to one half of all folks receiving Shaw Direct in Mexico, do not have a Canadian address. There are satellite dealers here who can help you get a Shaw Direct account. Other viewers share accounts with someone who already has an account and has room for an additional receiver.

EDIT: To Mark. It was I, not computer guy who incorrectly said Sky doesn't get Fox News. Thanks for correcting me. Oh and I am about to cancel my Telacable digital programming and replacing it with Sky. I will continue to use Telecable for analog TV and as an internet backup. Telecable's internet is getting much better and more reliable in my neighborhood in upper Ajijic.

7 minutes ago, MarkEliot said:

Sorry computer guy-you are wrong

my sky gets Fox News, cnn international, CNBC and much more

Well, good to know. But those are not networks. Those are cable channels. We're talking NBC, ABC, etc. I take it they are in English?

Archived