Chapala.com Webboard

Hi There,

I'm new to reading this forum and I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I am looking to confirm a rumor or get some information on Abbeyfield, an active, independent adult living facility in Ajijic. I heard that it was sold, and that the previous owners were giving the residents time to move out, before this building complex is turned into "the next thing." 

Does anyone have info on this that you can confirm?

I am researching independent living facilities in the area.

Thanks.

If you go to the top of this page and click on the Magnifying glass "Search" and enter Abbeyfield and enter "last year" for posts, you will get all the information you are interested in.

My understanding is that it has been sold and will no longer be a retirement facility.

I know that the older tenants have moved out, that it is no longer a retirement home, and that the former manager, Kevin, has a new job managing  "The Moon",  a Luxury Adult Community, but I have not heard what the owners of what was Abbeyfield plan to do with their property or whether it has been sold.  ( Updated Saturday afternoon)

2 hours ago, johanson said:

I know that the people have moved out and that the former manager, Kevin, has a job at  "The Moon"  a luxury Adult community, but I have not heard that the place had been sold yet. But it could well have been sold.

I don't know if it was "for sale" or already sold.

4 hours ago, RetireEarlyLifestyle said:

Thank you so much to all of you who answered my question. I will look into the search box for Abbeyfield last year and find out what I can. 

I appreciate your time.

I have heard of "The Moon" but have not seen it.

Thanks again..

Best,

A

There is an advertisement on this very website

https://www.chapala.com/themoon.html

You can e-mail Kevin for information.

the moon.png

It does not say where it is located in Ajijic.....but by its name . it sounds like a Billy Moon's old property.  But I thought that property was recently renovated and turned into a Boutique "hotel" named Villa Corona .?????

They advertise rooms for rent at various internet  sites.

They are 2 parts of this property, the "mansion" and the adjacent  "workhouse".  So maybe the latter????

The Moon is located on the south side of the old Billy moon properties. And I believe all of the structures on this portion of the old Billy Moon Property are new. I have visited the property and find it very well designed and put together. They even have units with real bathtubs, something one doesn't often see in Ajijic. Oh and I have had breakfast there with friends quite often. And the food is great.

I know a couple who have just signed papers to sell their present home and will soon be moving into the Moon. I have already met several other retirees who were/are the first to move in. From everything I have heard and seen this is a great place to consider renting/leasing or what ever one agrees to. I also noticed that it was a smoke free facility which is nice for those of us who no longer smoke.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

The Moon is located on the south side of the old Billy moon properties. And I believe all of the structures on this portion of the old Billy Moon Property are new. I have visited the property and find it very well designed and put together. They even have units with real bathtubs, something one doesn't often see in Ajijic. Oh and I have had breakfast there with friends quite often. And the food is great.

I know a couple who have just signed papers to sell their present home and will soon be moving into the Moon. I have already met several other retirees who were/are the first to move in. From everything I have heard and seen this is a great place to consider renting/leasing or what ever one agrees to. I also noticed that it was a smoke free facility which is nice for those of us who no longer smoke.

But no pets.

You can have pets, as long as they are fish :)   Only kidding, I have no idea what's allowed. I only know that I'm sure not ready give up my 3 dogs or 3 cats. But if I were and if I were ready to downsize this would be an ideal place to consider.

WOW!   $$$$!  Similar places in Tucson at similar prices will also include transportation to shopping and doctors/hospitals, etc. With a small charge for a second occupant in the same unit, to cover the meals for the second person.

TOO rich for our blood, there or here!

On 11/5/2018 at 11:25 AM, RVGRINGO said:

WOW!   $$$$!  Similar places in Tucson at similar prices will also include transportation to shopping and doctors/hospitals, etc. With a small charge for a second occupant in the same unit, to cover the meals for the second person.

TOO rich for our blood, there or here!

You got me thinking RV and I have dug out some info from retirement places in the Carolina's....prices for 1 bed 1 person, $945 with similar services as Moon's the facility is https://www.whiteoakindependentliving.com/contact/. Whilst some of the Carolinas can Hot Hot in the summer there are many delightful places/areas to live. The problem...last summer when I last checked they had a 4 year waiting list !!!

Do you have a contact in AZ that I can check with..Thanks

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:33 AM, Bookworm said:

OR, one could also buy the whole development.  It's listed on the MLS for a mere $1,950,000.00 U.S.Dollars

I had breakfast with our regular breakfast group which included the owner (actually husband) who answered that yes it had been for sale. But they took it off the market once they decided to develop the site themselves. Again the Moon is no longer for sale. It is now a "Luxury Adult Community" for persons 50 and over. 

Fascinating ........ It was still on the MLS site this weekend and has been listed there for at least 4 months (well after everything was built and landscaped)

I thought it a ridiculous asking price having  no historical income numbers  to support such a valuation.   Whateva, still think they are dreaming........ rents & sale $$

I will be having breakfast with some friends at The Moon tomorrow. I will let Jim know that he is still up on the MLS site. Thanks for the information. They are filling the units and so far the people who have moved in or made deposits waiting for their house to sell seem very happy and have no problem with the monthly charges especially with the great food etc. I feel lucky to be able to eat breakfast there about three times a week, until more units are filled.

On 11/3/2018 at 8:50 AM, RetireEarlyLifestyle said:

Hi There,

I'm new to reading this forum and I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I am looking to confirm a rumor or get some information on Abbeyfield, an active, independent adult living facility in Ajijic. I heard that it was sold, and that the previous owners were giving the residents time to move out, before this building complex is turned into "the next thing." 

Thanks.

A new twist in the Abbeyfield saga....now that all the past  residents have left...I hear that the place will not be sold but all the rooms converted into self contained apartments for rental by the day/week/season etc...so were the previous residents mislead when asked to vacate???

My understanding of the Abbeyfield sage (which maybe someone could confirm who has more direct information)- Is that the original owner, when she died left the property "for the benefit of lakeside residents". It was last year decided by the administrative board that using it as it was was really only benefiting a handful of people and that selling the property would create a fund which could then be used for the purpose the original owner intended. I was also told that since the residents had not received any increase in fees for many years that the current use was "upside down" and it was costing the board more money to run then it was generating. It seems to me that the board must still be trying to figure out the best way to fulfill their charter as opposed to misleading former residents. IMO with the current demand for rentable properties and the price they generate and the fact they would be able to eliminate overhead to almost nothing - this might be an option the board is exploring. OR perhaps it has been sold and this is the use the new owner has chosen

43 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

A new twist in the Abbeyfield saga....now that all the past  residents have left...I hear that the place will not be sold but all the rooms converted into self contained apartments for rental by the day/week/season etc...so were the previous residents mislead when asked to vacate???

Why lie about it? They could just as easily have said the tenants had to leave because the facility was being converted into self-contained apartments. Anyway, you will “hear” a lot of things with little of it turning out to be true. 

On 11/3/2018 at 8:50 AM, RetireEarlyLifestyle said:

Hi There,

Thanks.

This might be helpful as it lists many of the lakeside options I think

http://seniorlivinginmexico.com/directory/web-category/senior-housing-directory/

https://www.focusonmexico.com/assisted-living-lakeside/?fbclid=IwAR2B8ort0HSnXuyXfh_PoFLid88Ou5lusB5Zts76IKu1GjBWYp61xQYWosA

Archived