Chapala.com Webboard

Traditional View of Village on Day of the Dead

Augustin, of Viva Mexico, wants to share the traditional (not expanded for tourists) happenings of the Day of the Dead. At Viva Mexico, a small group will get together at 1 p.m. to order from his new menu.  It includes salads and his outstanding traditional Mexican meals, plus great steak and lamb.  He will talk with us about the altar and life on the Day of the Dead in San Juan Cosala over his life time. Then we will walk or drive up to the cemetery and see the devotion of the villagers to their ancestors.

Because this is meant to be a very small group, I have only 6 places left.  Please email me to reserve them.

Thanks, Carol

Day of the Dead.png

What my Mexican friends have told me is that they do not line the streets with their altars normally. I love Chapala''s altars, but they say that wouldn't be normal in the small villages. Most are pretty private or at their cemetery plot. Also there isn't as much dancing and big bands, etc. The priests do several short masses in the small cemeteries throughout the day. A bit less public celebration.  Just what I've been told. It will be interesting to hear Agustin talk about the efforts here in SJC to keep these two days very traditional.

Archived