Chapala.com Webboard

Mail in ballot, where to take

JDMex

The US Consulate will accept ballots.

You may drop off to them but keep in mind when their maildrop leaves (Mondays), the need for postage and your county/state requirements for what would be considered timely receipt keeping in mind time to go to Consulate, when their mail leaves, US Post Office travel time, etc.  

Just a note on an experience I had today, I ran into a friend outside the US Consulate and he was trying to drop off his ballot. They weren't accepting it because it had no postage. I loaned him some US stamps and now he is all good to go. The Consulate maildrop leaves Monday mornings and the mail is deposited into the US Postal Service in Brownsville, Texas so be sure to weigh your letters and calculate postage from Brownsville, Texas zip code to the County where you are mailing your ballot and place enough stamps (US Post Office has online postage calculator) or print online postage. Today the letter weighed a bit under 2 ounces so we calculated for 2 ounces and it was $0.71 cents and put 3 27 cent stamps. I have a few hundred $0.27 cent stamps in case you can't figure out the online postage thing I am happy to give you the stamps you need for free.

• This is from here: http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/internet-voting.aspx
  •  
  • Four states allow some voters to return ballots using a web-based portal: Arizona, Colorado, Missouri and North Dakota. Note that Missouri only offers electronic ballot return for military voters serving in a "hostile zone." These states may also allow some voters to return ballots via email or fax (see the table below for more details). Alabama conducted a pilot project in 2016 to permit UOCAVA voters located outside of U.S. territorial limits to submit voted ballots via a web portal, but the state has not made this program permanent. Alaska previously made a web portal available to any absentee voter to return a voted ballot, but discontinued this option in 2018.
  • One state has a mobile voting app: West Virginia is offering a mobile voting application in 2018 using blockchain technology. Use of the app is limited to UOCAVA voters. More information on the pilot project can be found in this video from the West Virginia Secretary of State's Office.
  • Nineteen states + DC allow some voters to return ballots via email or fax: Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Utah, and Washington.
  • Seven states allow some voters to return ballots via fax: Alaska, California, Florida, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and Texas.
  • Nineteen states do not allow electronic transmission. Voters must return voted ballots via postal mail: Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming. 

Archived