Chapala.com Webboard

Driving Ajijic to Seattle

cedros

My neighbours asked me what the best route was in November if they don't have winter tires-Ajijic to Seattle. In another part of the forum there is an ongoing discussion about what route to take in Mexico. So I will just enquire about what route to take in California, Oregon and Washington states. Does anyone have suggestions?

Just read the posts on the thread "Nogales to Chapala" on the Ajijic section. They would be advised to head to Laredo/Columbia Bridge and go N-NW from there. Can always buy winter tires somewhere along the way.

2 hours ago, tomgates said:

Just read the posts on the thread "Nogales to Chapala" on the Ajijic section. They would be advised to head to Laredo/Columbia Bridge and go N-NW from there. Can always buy winter tires somewhere along the way.

I read that post the answer wasn't there.

I’m surprised that they are worried about winter tires in November going that route. Certainly not in Arizona and California until maybe around the Oregon border/Mt. Shasta. it’s all interstate and there must be millions of cars on the road without ‘winter tires’ that time of the year. Most cars these days are front wheel drive and that’s half the battle right there. If a freak storm were to come by then even ‘winter tires’ would not do much good.  Just don’t enter California up around Reno but in So. Cal.  So get on Interstate 10 in Texas or NM or Arizona to LA then up the ‘5’ all the way to Washington.  Easy Peasy.

You don't want to go N on I-5 thru southern Oregon's Siskiyou mountain passes. Better to veer off I-5 near Shasta to Hwy 97 North into eastern Oregon to I-84 East to Portland then continue on I-5 N to Seattle. Would be easier to get winter tires as they will be needed in Seattle if wintering over there. If the people are from that area this is common sense.

Hwy 97 is all high altitude through Oregon and subject to much more severe weather than I-5 through Oregon which is at mostly lower altitudes.  Except of the Siskiyou Pass on the OR/CA border.  I'd stay on I-5 through So. CA all the way to Seattle.

I think there could be a snow problem in the passes. They don´t want want to buy winter tires as they aren´t needed in Seattle.

On 10/27/2018 at 6:57 AM, tomgates said:

You don't want to go N on I-5 thru southern Oregon's Siskiyou mountain passes. Better to veer off I-5 near Shasta to Hwy 97 North into eastern Oregon to I-84 East to Portland then continue on I-5 N to Seattle. Would be easier to get winter tires as they will be needed in Seattle if wintering over there. If the people are from that area this is common sense.

Thanks. That makes some sense.

7 minutes ago, cedros said:

Thanks. That makes some sense.

IMHO It makes no sense to me who was raised in eastern Oregon.  The elevation makes the entire length of Oregon between 4000-6000 feet and the roads are usually much more snowy or icy than I-5.  The only pass would be the Siskiyous and usually only rainy road from there to Seattle.  Except maybe Centralia, WA area that can get some snow.  Every year I would drive to SE Oregon for Thanksgiving with my folks.  The drive was much better when they moved to the Medford OR area and I could travel I-5 from Portland to Medford instead of 97 To Klamath Falls.  YMMV

We frequently drive down to Mexico from Vancouver Island at the time of year stated. Last winter it was the second week of December. We keep a close eye on the Siskiyou Pass situation. If there is snow or the threat of snow we head over  to the coast on 101 and come down the Oregon Coast through California to Ukiah and then head over to Interstate 5. Just reverse for going north. 

Archived