Chapala.com Webboard

Limited Amazon videos due to location

ea93105

I have a prime membership but was disappointed to see that one of my favorite movies is not available due to my location. 

Is this solved by getting a VPN service ? Any good free ones or is it a case of nothing free in life is any good ?

30 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

We use Strong VPN and thus far they've been able to get around both Amazon and Netflix blocking.  Sometimes it takes them a few days but they eventually get it done.

Thanks, just signed up for their service

I had to cancel Strong VPN for the same reason, about 3 months ago.  They said they couldn't make it happen.  I tried Express VPN and it does work on my iMac, iPad, iPhone BUT can't be set to play on my Smart TV so it's really not very useful either.

I was told to try NORD.  I called and talked with them but they also confirmed they can't do any better than Express VPN.  Will work on computers and devices but NOT on Smart TV.

Anyone out there got a better option?  I pay for both Amazon Prime US and Mexico and still can't get the bloody TV shows and videos due to "location" issues.

Val

I've been using WiTopia for about seven years I guess and it still works on everything. Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube and my smart TV. I like the Cloakbox because it's a router and it covers everything in my house if I log in to it. I still have the router from Telecable if I want something faster. I just log into the one I want. It's not free but I like it and it's important to me.

https://www.personalvpn.com/vpn-router

You must have something else going on, perhaps a third-party router, or a TV purchased up north and brought down... because NetFlix has told all its apps on all devices to refuse 99% of VPN services, including Strong. The only other way is using Strong on a PC or Mac, and accessing NetFlix on that PC or Mac, then sending the image to your TV via HDMI cable or a "casting" service like Plex.

In other words, no problem on a computer, but it won't work strictly on a Smart TV NetFlix app.

4 hours ago, thevalerieleigh said:

I had to cancel Strong VPN for the same reason, about 3 months ago.  They said they couldn't make it happen.  I tried Express VPN and it does work on my iMac, iPad, iPhone BUT can't be set to play on my Smart TV so it's really not very useful either.

I was told to try NORD.  I called and talked with them but they also confirmed they can't do any better than Express VPN.  Will work on computers and devices but NOT on Smart TV.

Anyone out there got a better option?  I pay for both Amazon Prime US and Mexico and still can't get the bloody TV shows and videos due to "location" issues.

Val

My husband set us up with Express VPN, which works until it doesn't (once in a while we have been "outed") , at which time I go to the live chat on their service and they give me a new virtual location.  This has worked for several years.  We have a smart TV, but had to buy a separate portable computer to make Netflix movies work on it.  It does a fine job now.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

You must have something else going on, perhaps a third-party router, or a TV purchased up north and brought down... because NetFlix has told all its apps on all devices to refuse 99% of VPN services, including Strong. The only other way is using Strong on a PC or Mac, and accessing NetFlix on that PC or Mac, then sending the image to your TV via HDMI cable or a "casting" service like Plex.

In other words, no problem on a computer, but it won't work strictly on a Smart TV NetFlix app.

We do have a separate router, a Buffalo and not a very new one at that.

Strong doesn't guarantee Netflix but when blocked they find a workaround in a few days.  We stuck with them because their customer service and communication is excellent.

On another note, I'm in Fort Worth now and garden variety WiFi is 38 megs down and 10+ megs up.  Sigh...

:)

Well, after installing Strong VPN Amazon still wont play the movie due to location.

After reporting the problem to Strong, they replied :

Amazon has rolled out a new design for specific customers that prevents playback on the VPN. Our engineers are working on finding a solution for this but we do not have an ETA at the moment. This is what the new design looks like: https://i.imgur.com/ITIa6HB.png

If you have this design, Amazon will not work on any of our servers.

Only browsers are affected by this (i.e Chrome/FireFox/etc) and devices should still work as per usual (such as firesticks/tv's/etc)

In the meantime, you may use any non-browser device normally with Amazon Prime video, or ask their support to roll your design back. They may not honor your request though. It is recommended that you do not mention the use of a VPN/proxy if you inquire about the design rollback.

So, for now, Amazon will not work on the PC using the browser

5 hours ago, gringal said:

My husband set us up with Express VPN, which works until it doesn't (once in a while we have been "outed") , at which time I go to the live chat on their service and they give me a new virtual location.  This has worked for several years.  We have a smart TV, but had to buy a separate portable computer to make Netflix movies work on it.  It does a fine job now.

I use express VPN streaming on my Laptop which I connect to my smart TV which is basically my screen. I don't watch TV. If you choose a specific site for your VPN service from them the address is basically static.  I use New Jersey 2 for Netflix but it wont work for Amazon and then I pick another site for Amazon. PM me if you have any questions.

18 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

catbird, I'm not clear: Are you saying you have a Cloakbox (which is its own VPN service) plugged into your TelMex modem and then you use Witopia as well, as a second VPN?

I have two routers. One from Telecable and one from WiTopia. The WiTopia Cloakbox is connected thru the Telecable box. My television and Apple TV are connected to the Cloakbox with ethernet cable. Everything else in the house connects to the Cloakbox with wireless connection if I want to. But, I usually surf the the web on my laptop thru the Telecable router because it's faster. Hope this helps.

I use Windscribe, got a great lifetime deal on the Pro version thrpugh StackSocial. It has a seperate chennel called "Windflix", which can usually get around Netflix, but is not guaranteed. I love it most of the time. Have not tried it with Amazon video. They have REALLY been behind the curve with getting licensing rights in other countries. 

Archived