Chapala.com Webboard

Dharma Restaurant

Bisbee Gal

There is a sign for this restaurant on the soon-to-open large building at the corner of Zaragoza and Colon.  The building is set to house a mix of retail shops and eateries ... maybe in a food court set-up (not certain on that).  Darma's sign says it will serve Mexican Asian fusion, which if done well, will be an interesting addition to the Ajijic food scene.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Has anyone actually gone in and discussed this with them?

They could be on a path to failure, but not know why.

We talked to them about it. They were open to suggestions but seemed surprised that was  high. They are from Guad. And apparently did not do any market research.   The food was ok, not memorable.  We won't be back unless things change

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Kyle said:

We talked to them about it. They were open to suggestions but seemed surprised that was  high. They are from Guad. And apparently did not do any market research.   The food was ok, not memorable.  We won't be back unless things change

It's good that you talked to them.  Let's hope they do market research by visiting the popular restaurants in this area and taking note of the prices. Many people who live here once had good jobs which allowed them to dine in fine restaurants.  It's a different story in retirement.  They still appreciate fine food and drink....but their budgets are more limited.  In Guadalajara, they are still in their earning years.  If they can survive on tourists from Guadalajara, it may make no difference to them.

• 1 month later...
On 10/27/2018 at 3:52 PM, Kyle said:

At 120 pesos for a glass of wine I think they may not do so well. They should have done more market research.  This is a retirement community not Guad.

You'll be happy to hear that their wine price is now 70 pesos.  We ate there Friday night and enjoyed their shrimp with chipotle tacos and their mushroom tacos; both were great as was the starter tostada we shared.   Their tacos come 4 to a plate and have a really nice hearty fresh corn tortilla.  Their taco menu has about 8 offerings, many of them vegan.  Our meal with 1 wine, 2 coronitas came to 420 pesos.  

We will return to try more food items (they have a number of starters, sandwiches and a few Asian items in addition to their tasty tacos).   There is a very nice copper shop within the space, as well as other unusual art offerings.  It is a pleasant place to sit as it is a big open space and you can admire the shops' items while you nosh.  They have a full bar as well.  

13 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

You'll be happy to hear that their wine price is now 70 pesos.  We ate there Friday night and enjoyed their shrimp with chipotle tacos and their mushroom tacos; both were great as was the starter tostada we shared.   Their tacos come 4 to a plate and have a really nice hearty fresh corn tortilla.  Their taco menu has about 8 offerings, many of them vegan.  Our meal with 1 wine, 2 coronitas came to 420 pesos.  

We will return to try more food items (they have a number of starters, sandwiches and a few Asian items in addition to their tasty tacos).   There is a very nice copper shop within the space, as well as other unusual art offerings.  It is a pleasant place to sit as it is a big open space and you can admire the shops' items while you nosh.  They have a full bar as well.  

We also went there when it first opened and the food was quite good but minimal in quantity. They were still revising their menu. The space is beautiful but it felt like we were eating in too big a space . My wife called it 1/2 a basketball court. The owner and waiter were very cordial and they knew their stuff. My concern is that it may not survive unless they add more items more conducive to what expats want. . Apparently they and the other businesses that are in that massive space from what I can gather are partners in it. We may try it again.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been twice now.  The service is the best around, the food could not have been better, the place is very attractive, they have room for more tables as traffic picks up which it will I am betting.  The music is soft and appealing.  There are small shops around with beautiful and interesting items for sale.  They may have made a mistake with the price of their wine in the beginning but the level of planning and care that they put into this endeavor was not small.  I truly enjoy eating off of attractive dishes and having utensils that are good quality.  The food is presented in an attractive manner and more than that is extremely good.  There is something for everyone .. we can go with our friends that are Vegan, Vegetarian and Gluten intolerant.  I have read posts for other restaurants where people were not happy with the dishes because they were not spicy enough ... weeeeelllll, give this a try as it will make your brow very humid :)  However, that is not my thing so they tone it down for me.  The portion sizes have been more than generous and I think their Pad Thai with chicken and shrimp is the very best we have had.  

If you haven't tried this restaurant, do yourself a favor and give it a whirl.  I think you will be glad you did.

• 4 weeks later...

I was down this past weekend solo and since it was so close to where I was staying, went in for dinner and I thought the food was quite good.   I had the Pad Thai and really liked it.   The spice was just right and I agree about the utensils, they were high quality.   Great copper shop and the art is a plus, too.   Will go again next month with the husband when we are back permanently.    

• 8 months later...

Per their FB page they will be closed this weekend and will reopen next weekend at a NEW LOCATION.  Might be an opportunity for those who need parking (which was nearly impossible at their former Calle Colon location).   

Never had a bad meal there, often interesting specials.  

Dharma Ajijic

We are moving! our new location will be Calle del Lago #18 in front of the children´s playground & the parking lot at Malecón de Ajijic. We want to honor our traditions & our project so we are gonna Open Nov. 2... Next Saturday!!!
stay tuned for the upcoming surprises!
Same Fusion Mexican/Asian, new menu regular & vegan, new hours, a lot of fun!!We close this weekend, our sincere apologize for the inconvenient.

• 4 months later...

They have changed their approach and their menu. Their concept of fusion dishes is very interesting. We enjoyed breakfast two days ago: fresh and interesting. The place filled up quickly around noon... I thought maybe a busload of retirees had arrived. The acoustics are terrible, but we enjoyed our meals and the service, which was very pleasant, and they offered to make us meals from the supper menu if we wanted.

Yes, CG, they have changed their concept and menu.  Their dinner menu is short, but tight.  And yes they have offered it to us at lunch time, too.  All is good, a bit different (not a big heavy curry...almost deconstructed).  One dining partner said it was best/most tender fillet he's had in several years in Ajijic.  

dharma1.png

dharma2.png

17 minutes ago, gringal said:

Is Dharma in the same strip to the East of Maria Isabel?

No.  It is WEST of Colon.  It is between 5 de Mayo and Pedro Moreno, on the street (sometimes referred to as Del Paseo) that adjoins the malecon parking area.  The seats are not cushioned, but are the modern-ish molded white plastic that I find more comfortable then the straight-back chairs at many places.