Chapala.com Webboard

AUTO SERVICING/EMISSION TEST

Apachewoman

Yes you need one. There is a testing station in Jocotepec. Who knows if they are reliable. The thing is you need a sticker for your car and the testing station are the only ones that issue it. No one rechecks it for reliability.

9 hours ago, johanson said:

At one time, perhaps last year, I go every October to the Chapala site, there was a sign that said you only have to pay if you pass.

So if you don't pass-no sticker. And you can be fined?

If your vehicle doesn't pass, there is no charge and you are given a computer printout of why your vehicle didn't pass to take to a mechanic or whomever and have 30 days to re test, pass the test and pay the 400 pesos for the sticker which they place on your windshield.The computer print out is what you show if you are stopped so that you do not receive a ticket during the 30 day period.

5 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

The word from a friend is that the equipment is seldom functioning and the $400 is more or less a bribe for the sticker...IF they have stickers.  I can't verify this info, just passing on what I was told. 

This is a computerized test and the $400 is only if you do pass. It is not a bribe it is state mandated. My friend just went the other day, did not pass, received the computer print out and was told what needed to be done. The car was taken to the place for a new catalytic converter, it was repaired and then the car was taken back and passed the test. The sticker was applied and paperwork given, $ 400 paid. End of story, no big deal.

I have taken that test both in the US with my US car and in Mx with my Jalisco plated car for more than 20 years in Mexico and even more in the US and I have never failed. Either the standards are not that high or I have been very lucky.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:55 AM, oregontochapala said:

The word from a friend is that the equipment is seldom functioning and the $400 is more or less a bribe for the sticker...IF they have stickers.  I can't verify this info, just passing on what I was told. 

Wow, you have a very cynical friend.   The equipment is connected to the main government office in Guadalajara that deals with emissions, no connection no sticker.   I paid 350 pesos in Guadalajara last week.   You`ll here lots of crap about bribes and `this is Mexico` from negative people who claim to be realists. 

17 hours ago, el bartman said:

Wow, you have a very cynical friend.   The equipment is connected to the main government office in Guadalajara that deals with emissions, no connection no sticker.   I paid 350 pesos in Guadalajara last week.   You`ll here lots of crap about bribes and `this is Mexico` from negative people who claim to be realists. 

oregontochapal has a point. Last year when I was having my emissions check done they halted part way through and said there was a problem. They then asked me to back out and they put one of their cars in place instead and then proceeded to finish the test on their car and give me a sticker.

I brought my 2017 car to get an emissions test this week and the guy told me the test is not necessary in the second year.  I had never heard this from anyone, but he insisted it's not necessary the second year and that I needed to just come back in 2019.  Anyone with a 2017 car told the same thing?  

congodog, that's correct, the same ting happened to me when I took my 2017 in back in April. I thought it showed how honest the test station was, as they could have tested and charged me and I would not have known I didn't need it. You'll need your first test next year. I even have a print out from S&S Auto (in Spanish) that explains this, in case I get pulled over.

12 hours ago, NoVaDamer said:

congodog, that's correct, the same ting happened to me when I took my 2017 in back in April. I thought it showed how honest the test station was, as they could have tested and charged me and I would not have known I didn't need it. You'll need your first test next year. I even have a print out from S&S Auto (in Spanish) that explains this, in case I get pulled over.

Ok, thanks!

Archived