Chapala.com Webboard

Most rain of the season

cedros

FINALLY! San Juan Cosala has definitely been getting shorted this year. I, in Riberas, got 2.0 inches and friends just east of Las Fuentes got 2.3 inches. Welcome to the rainy club Cedros. No cheating, now... don't forget to empty out your rain gauge!

I remember reading somewhere before the rainy season started that this year we could see the most rainfall in October.  Will be interesting to see if that happens.  It seems to me that this season's rainfall has been somewhat light compared to other years.  I don't remember even one all day "rainy day" this year.

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

FINALLY! San Juan Cosala has definitely been getting shorted this year. I, in Riberas, got 2.0 inches and friends just east of Las Fuentes got 2.3 inches. Welcome to the rainy club Cedros. No cheating, now... don't forget to empty out your rain gauge!

I never forget that.

Interestingly rode motos in that valley on the other side of the mountain from San Juan Cosala and it has obviously been very wet up in there.  Puddles everywhere and the corn was quite tall and looked great.  Also, although the area is well below normal this year, the lake is higher than last year and still going up.  Again riding east and south of here it has been quite wet there and that is the lake's primary watershed area.  

Last night was more like one of those June/July downpours than we normally see in late September.  They are still predicting rain well into October this year.

• 2 weeks later...

From this site in Rancho de Oro

http://www.ajijicweather.com/index.htm

Rainfall History
 2018 (as of 10/5/18)  27.81 in
  October (as of 10/5/18)   1.36 in
  September   6.50 in
  August   3.74 in
  July   5.05 in
  June   6.45 in
  May   3.90 in
  April   0.00 in
  March   0.00 in
  February   0.72 in
  January   0.09 in
 2017  30.29 in
 2016  40.03 in
 2015  41.13 in
 2014  31.15 in
 2013  28.52 in
 2012  29.33 in
 2011  32.84 in

Does that make sense? That we've had less rain this year than any preceding year back to 2011? I guess, since the lake is more dependent on the dams being opened than rain in Ajijic... I should look around for stats about rainfall in the Lerma.

Very wet east and south of here, our primary watershed.  Remember 2016 we had over 40 inches locally but lake didn't rise near as much.  That's because the rainfall east and south of us is a much stronger determinant of lake rise than local rain.  This is turning out to be a very good year for the lake.

I love rain, unfortunately its driving me crazy because I am trying to complete so landscaping. Finally gave up ordering an excavator and then canceling it. Also will be laying off all the workers because it looks like rain for another month or so. Let it rain its good for the lake and its good for the plants and whats good for the lake and the plants is good for me!

Archived