Chapala.com Webboard

Dia de los muertos

feewee

I have only experienced Día de los Muertos here in Chapala.  The celebrations here are some what extensive, probably since it is a touristy/gringo town, our celebrations are perhaps more festive and touristy than in the  smaller towns.  Los altares para los muertos that Chapala puts out is the best show on the whole of the  north shore of Chapala.  Let me repeat, since we are a tourist town just a few kilometers from Guadalajara, Chapala puts on quite a show for the el Día de los Muertos to draw in tourism from Guadalajara.  If you want something more authentic, and more grandeur, and more crowded, just go to Paztcuaro, but make sure you book it a month or so in advance. 

34 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

I have only experienced Día de los Muertos here in Chapala.  The celebrations here are some what extensive, probably since it is a touristy/gringo town, our celebrations are perhaps more festive and touristy than in the  smaller towns.  Los altares para los muertos that Chapala puts out is the best show on the whole of the  north shore of Chapala.  Let me repeat, since we are a tourist town just a few kilometers from Guadalajara, Chapala puts on quite a show for the el Día de los Muertos to draw in tourism from Guadalajara.  If you want something more authentic, and more grandeur, and more crowded, just go to Paztcuaro, but make sure you book it a month or so in advance. 

I think the Día de los Muertos celebration at Lakeside is completely authentic for your area.  "Authentic" is a tough word to define: what's authentic to you might not look at all authentic to someone else, but it's what you know, and that's what counts, IMHO.  

If you're looking for a truly indigenous, traditional celebration of Día de los Muertos, the closest place to Lake Chapala where you'll find that is probably Pátzcuaro, Michoacán, as dichosalocura said.  I just did an availability check on Booking.com for hotels over there, for Oct 30 until Nov 3.  There's one room available in one of the many Pátzcuaro hotels listed on Booking.com--and for those four nights, the room cost alone is almost 34,000 pesos.  In this modern era, almost all of the hotels in Pátzcuaro are listed on one or another or several of the booking services, and most also have their own websites.  I also checked the Gran Hotel, the Hotel Leal, La Casa Encantada, and a couple of others: no rooms. Tourism numbers in Michoacán are very high this year compared to the last 10 years.  Waiting till a month before Muertos to book a room is probably futile.  There are still lodgings available in Morelia, though it's about as far from Pátzcuaro as Lake Chapala is from Guadalajara.

Oaxaca is also home to beautiful and traditional indigenous celebrations of Día de los Muertos.  Again, I was just talking to someone who's looking for lodging in Oaxaca from Oct 30 to Nov 4--she has so far struck out completely.  It seems that these dates are really, really tight this year.

http://www.mexicocooks.typepad.com 

Thank you all for the insights.  You are right Liana -  Patzcuaro and Oaxaca would have been great ...too late or too far. 

Does Ajijic do anything?  I am with a group of people, some of who are not mobile so Chapala might be too much.  I was just hoping there would be something in the Ajijic Plaza. I saw the Thriller event and although it sounds fun, it is really the Mexican traditions that will interest them.

Thanks again! 

Archived