Chapala.com Webboard

Mortar types

tomgates

You could be referring to Hydraulic Lime, which is water proof, or high calcium natural lime putty. I haven't bought from this supplier, who has a warehouse in Guadalajara, but I will soon :http://www.oxical.mx/

The advantages of pure lime putty (and sand) are that it is not corrosive (acidic) but rather alkaline. Keep the mortar as simple as possible. Lime white wash was used for many years to coat metal tools in storage. The second advantage (I think) is that it takes a long time to fully cure, and during that time it will self heal from vibrations and can easily be removed if you have problems. In about 100 years (!!!) it will fully cure and be harder than any stone you might imagine - and the copper will still not be corroded.

You probably already have the copper pipes but f you don,t you probably know you should not use copper.  It no longer meets housing codes in the US and there is a very limited use by plumbers they use black pipe for gas and the flex hose for water.   They won't turn your gas on in the states if you have any copper in the system.

Just remember that if using black pipe for gas that you should NOT bury it in concrete.  It needs to be used only where it can remain accessible and away from the elements (unless painted to protect from the elements).  NEVER EVER use galvanized pipe!!   If you need to go through a concrete wall, you must put the black pipe in a plastic sleeve.  The preferred material for gas lines these days is reinforced PEX type tubing.  I have been able to purchase this along with the special compression fittings from gas supply stores in Guadalajara.

I agree with Ezzie in the states I just had a house built and used black pipe for the gas and PEX tubing for the water.  A concern was the water freezing but was told the PEX stands up well to the cold and is supposed to have a good longivity. The PEX is very easy to work with you just need a PEX ratchet and the assorted fittings.

24 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I agree with Ezzie in the states I just had a house built and used black pipe for the gas and PEX tubing for the water.  A concern was the water freezing but was told the PEX stands up well to the cold and is supposed to have a good longivity. The PEX is very easy to work with you just need a PEX ratchet and the assorted fittings.

I wonder how it will be before Black Pipe and PEX are a "problem".....

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Ain't that the truth! Just before I moved permanently to Mexico, I saw a construction product offering a "lifetime warrantee" I thought this will be interesting. Details- sure enough, 25 years. Before I retired as a restoration mason, I had never worked on a building less than 100 years old.

Archived