Chapala.com Webboard

Where would you go?

camillenparadise

My first cousin I've not seen in 50 years is coming here for a very short visit tomorrow. We were little girls growing up near the Texas Gulf Coast, riding horses and milking cows......Anyway, I have made dinner reservations at Cocinart for Sunday, Viva Mexico! for Monday, and Teocintle de Maiz for Wednesday. Tuesday is a blank. Tremezzo would have been my choice, but of course they are closed then. So, where would you go? Casa Linda looks interesting, but I don't know if they are open. Your thoughts? And thanks!

A more personal meal, cooked at home?????  :017:

Or, just go to the Chapala malecon, wander about, find restaurants, order & eat, but have the margaritas first.  😉  Watch the sunset over the lake.  Go to the Chapala plaza in centro about 8PM and just sit on a bench for awhile, eating snacks from nearby stands, etc.

Let her experience a bit of Mexico.....Not just a string of restaurants.

Yup. We used to do that too, but did not tell them what it was until they had said how good it was.  Always fun.  Few visitors seem to connect the painting of the goat on the wall with what they are enjoying.  I guess they think the name refers to the bucket of beer, that we also ordered.

Re Tabarka:  Wait till nearly 1:00 pm.  Takes them a while to get it together.  Just had an outstanding swordfish lunch there!

I'd recommend Gosha's highly, but they are closed on Tuesday.

Going west out of Ajijic, El Ancla has some very good dishes.  Dining inside or out.  They're open Tuesdays.

Further west, There's Arileo's.  Very good.  Open around 1:00 pm; closed Wednesday.

Peacock Garden is fun with the peacocks and chickens walking around.  Food can be hit or miss, but their coconut shrimp is consistently very good.   Decent tortilla soup (and other soup specials) and some nice sandwiches (BLT, salmon, after 7 they will grill their burger al carbon). 

Nueva Posada's garden patio is beautiful with lake view.  Food-wise it's so-so, but their Wiener Schnitzel (actually Holstein Schnitzel as it is pounded thin pork, not veal) with fried egg and caper sauce is great.  Also very good fish and chips and nice cold curry chicken salad (albeit with those giant pasas).  

Both are open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner.

Personally I like taking people to 'different' places that will stay in their memories.  Eat goat; feed peacocks tortilla chips; get a great lake view.  Yes you may get a better meal at a nondescript place on the carretera, and if your cousin is all about the food, then go somewhere like that.  

8 hours ago, Irish Gal said:

Yves is open on Tuesdays and is a lovely place for lunch or dinner.

Yes, its garden is delightful; burros are on site and it offers an extensive salad bar. Not a  A+ lunch or dinner, IMO.  Probably a good choice to take a visitor, anyway.  I got a chuckle at the notion that the other restaurant having chickens and peacocks hanging around trumps having a top notch meal.  As for peacocks:  like some humans, they are good looking but have a loud and annoying voice.😄🤔

Sima de Copal. Beautiful setting with great view of the lake and great food and service.

I would pass on the Birria in Jocotepec. It isn't that good.

You are in Mexico go for the goat.  The cabrito is great in Jocotepec plaza.  Go to the sidewalk cafe on the east side.  I believe there are two and this is the second one.  You can tell because there are always a lot of mexicans eating there.  Get the cabrito in the bowl of sauce it is really good.  I have seen mexicans coming to just get the sauce and take it home.  If you want some goat brain in your soup you can get this too>

1 hour ago, rafterbr said:

You are in Mexico go for the goat.  The cabrito is great in Jocotepec plaza.  Go to the sidewalk cafe on the east side.  I believe there are two and this is the second one.  You can tell because there are always a lot of mexicans eating there.  Get the cabrito in the bowl of sauce it is really good.  I have seen mexicans coming to just get the sauce and take it home.  If you want some goat brain in your soup you can get this too>

For people who are price conscience, I think this dish is way over priced for a bowl of greasy soup,  with meat and gristle 

Archived