Chapala.com Webboard

Plastic Bags

RickS

The following from a Post on a San Miguel de Allende forum.....

”Heard on the radio this morning that a new law has been passed outlawing the use of plastic bags. Maid came in this morning and said that she went by a store in downtown area and there were no bags to be seen”.

Anyone heard of this law and might it apply to Lakeside also?

Today at 9:54 AM

8 minutes ago, dichosalocura said:

What?  Kroger needs 8 years of planning to make the switch?  Are they growing their own forest to make the paper bags?

Tsk,tsk............Rome was not built in a day.

In Seattle Washington, and other places up north grocery stores no longer put your bags in plastic bags. They use paper sacks. They charge 25 cents for each new bag. Most folks save their bags and return with them when they shop to save paying for new bags. Also most plastics used are the type that are recyclable. Much of the US is turning green and other countries are following suit.

1 hour ago, SunFan said:

With all due respect I think the Europeans are leading and the U.S.A. is catching up.

Yes, I believe that to be true in many European countries. I guess I should have said Mexico is joining the effort

In British Columbia about 15 years ago the main grocery store chain started charging for the plastic bags. So most people started going to the store with their own bags-plastic or otherwise. Lakeside the Walmart bags are pretty weak to be very useful.   

When we lived in Turkey, some 58 years ago, there were no plastic bags. There were string bags and you carried a couple of them most of the time. They were light, compact, and would expand to carry more than you could lift. Problem solved. They were cheap and ubiquitous; also biodegradable, as the string was cotton, not synthetic/plastic.  That said, shopping forays were generally to the bazaar on bazartesi (Sunday), much like the tianquis in Mexico. During the week, most necessities passed by the house daily, via cart, donkey, horse or camel. That was better entertainment than TV.....There was no TV.

3 hours ago, cedros said:

In British Columbia about 15 years ago the main grocery store chain started charging for the plastic bags. So most people started going to the store with their own bags-plastic or otherwise. Lakeside the Walmart bags are pretty weak to be very useful.   

Wrong again, am I. I thought Seattle was one of the early leading cities up North to change from plastic to paper.. If I remember correctly, we only started using paper bags some 5 or so years ago.

2 hours ago, johanson said:

Wrong again, am I. I thought Seattle was one of the early leading cities up North to change from plastic to paper.. If I remember correctly, we only started using paper bags some 5 or so years ago.

You aren't wrong. The BC stores started charging for their plastic bags-they never used paper ones that I know of. 

14 hours ago, Bandol said:

My recollection from 15 years ago is that the big chains in B.C. would give you either paper or plastic depending on your choice.  Both were free.

Check your recollection. The largest (in volume) grocery seller in BC was The Real Canadian Superstore. I never saw paper bags there-only plastic. Once the customers had to pay for them most people brought whatever from home to pack their goods. I remember the day they started charging for the plastic bags. I thought what a great idea. Another good idea they had-you packed your own groceries.

Human psychology-  I had a friend who worked in a bakery and who was quite environmentally conscious before it became fashionable, we're talking about 20 years ago. Of course a loaf of bread was put into a clear plastic bag, as were the other items. The salespeople were then supposed to put these things into a plastic shopping bag. She started asking people "Do you need a bag?"  When she asked if they needed one, most said, "No, I don't need one, it's fine like that." But if she asked "Do you want a bag?"  almost everyone said "Yes, please".

14 hours ago, SunFan said:

With all due respect I think the Europeans are leading and the U.S.A. is catching up.

Yes we have had no bags in france for a long time. You bring your bag and you pack your own grocery  you also weight your merchandise and check yoursel out in some plces

"The more things change, the more they stay the same". Just remembering back to being 16 and visiting relatives in England. Went dutifully to the store with the list my Auntie Ivy gave me... and having to balance all the items in my arms all the way back to her house. No bags then unless you brought your own. I thought it was both barbaric and quaint at the time. Shoulda stayed that way because progress sometimes isn't.

True, sm1mex.  In the 1950s, I drove Coca Cola trucks every summer and all bottles were glass. Bags in grocery stores were still always paper.

I was out of the USA for most of the 1960s and half of the 1970s, so I don't really remember when the plastic trend started, but I do recall the mess that it made to the scenery of our countryside, when we had time to view it in our RV days, after retirement in early 1998.

Archived