Chapala.com Webboard

Internet

kelly8762

I have comcast in Florida and speeds are as fast a I can move the keys and mouse—-I lived here 10 years ago and the internet was basically dial up—So I don’t expect high speed (remember I lived here before) but I need to know what is the fastest internet service I can get and how much in lower Chula  Vista ( behind cafe Montana)

I don't know the answer to your question, but when I worked at or helped Lagunanet, the first internet service provider lakeside, we had 28.8 bits per second or slow dial up. And I loved it. In Seattle I get 90 megabits per second down by almost that up, and that is much faster than I need.

I live in upper Ajijic and these days get about 11 to 12 megabits down which is as fast as I need. In some areas in or near Chapala they get twice that. In other places they get about 3 or so Megabits/second down.

The point is that whatever you get down here, it is many many times faster than dial up but nothing compared to the higher speeds in downtown Guadalajara, or downtown Miami etc

8 hours ago, kelly8762 said:

I have comcast in Florida and speeds are as fast a I can move the keys and mouse—-I lived here 10 years ago and the internet was basically dial up—So I don’t expect high speed (remember I lived here before) but I need to know what is the fastest internet service I can get and how much in lower Chula  Vista ( behind cafe Montana)

I don’t know about lower Chula Vista, but speeds in all other parts of Lakeside vary from about nothing to 20+mbps from Telmex DSL. It just depends on what street and sometimes what house you pick. Probably/maybe the best speed these days is in/around Las Brisas because Telmex put in fiber to a new hotel at the entrance  up there. 

There are some nice mobile speeds being garnered from both Telcel and AT&T but again it depends on where you are/live. They are even offering an ‘at-home’ capability in some places. Speeds up to 20mbps I believe. 

AND, unless you haven’t heard a new company, iLOX, is putting in fiber optics by the end of the year from Jocotopec to Chapala.... first to those who have already signed up and then to the 2nd tier folks. Work has begun I understand.  Speeds in excess of 50mbps and maybe 70mbps in the first year. Also offering TV and phone service off of the fiber. 

• 2 weeks later...

Use to have Telmex fast snail internet, on a good day 1,5 mbps.

on weekends 0.40 mbps...

switch to Telecable now I get a more stable signal at 5.0 to 5.49 mbps

but i can’t hardly wait for ILOX to come on line...

Archived