Chapala.com Webboard

The lovely pop up drain...

Ferret

Did you know that pop up drains are made differently for vessel sinks or for sinks with overflow drains? I didn't. Live and learn.

I assumed that the young lady at Casa de Plomero would give me the right one for the sink, that I also bought from them.

So, LOOK, at the drain if you're buying one. If it's got a hole in the pipe under the stopper, then it is strictly for a sink that has overflow capabilities. If it doesn't have that hole, then it's OK to use for a vessel sink.

They ain't cheap so I hope I've saved you some money and aggravation.

YUP. That's the one I bought... which has been taken out and at least I have a drain now. I went to Casa de Plomero yesterday and got the correct one and explained the problem. Now I have the correct pop up drain which will be installed on Monday. And the pop up drain that I was sold is being bequeathed to a friend who has a sink with an overflow.

I just rolled my eyes at the guy who said "why do you want that one?". Because, in 22 years of living in Mexico, I have never encountered a sink that has a plug that works. Sure hope this one does.

Thanks mudgirl. I hope mine will work as well as yours. The other advantage of having the Pop part is that water is not hitting the drain. That sounds weird... the force of the water from the tap hitting the drain straight on disperses drain crud in an aerosol that you breathe in as you bend over the sink. That's bad for your health. The pop cover prevents this.

Archived